View Poll Results: What's your experience with DH

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love DH, it have everything I need, and it's stable

11 28.95%
  • It's the same as other hosting company.

5 13.16%
  • I don't like DH. very unstable,and many other issues.

22 57.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Deamhost used to be a dream...now it is a nightmare.....

I like to share my DH experience with your guys ......

DH used to be a dream.....
    unbelievable low price with all the cool stuff I want .....although it is not stable at all...I still love it...

DH became a nightmare....
    First, I have to tell you I'm an IT technician.I know what I'm doing. ...

DH offer 1T/month traffic, I'm fully aware of that. I've setup the throttling and also WebDev password and link protection on my forums. so nomally daily download 20-30G/day, very stable.

On Nov6, the traffice suddenly jump to 10T/day.. look closely, it is 10T a day !!!!I was shocked, the req was even lower than the day before... I did some test, even with the native tranfer between DH servers can only get 1-3M/S. There is no such way a server can handle 10T a day. I was laugh and mad.. because after I send DH support team a email regarding this, no one can answer me... They all told me to check the stats...which has no proof where that traffic came from....Anyway, I stopped the forums, changed the propertities on the folder, to prevent anyone to download....but guess what??

on Nov7..ha...20T/day.... hahaha.....still no one can answer me.. on the panel, It shows I own $21,000 USD.....for 2days traffic..

I'm glad I'm not host my domain at DH. I have to close it before the billing cicle and tranfer over all my stuff.....

So guys, if you like DH, good luck, I wish you don't have such bad experience... if you don't know too much about hosting, don't use DH.... if you know what you are doing and with good luck, use DH.

bye..DH, what a great dream, it will never become true....

This is why you want to stick with a host that provides raw log files! There no better proof...

DH provides raw log, and it provides log of processes.
    Also, they provides stats.

I thought bandwidth throttle would prevent any posibility of bandwidth overage, too.
    If your site really served 20TB a day and DH didn't shut down the site, it's amazing.
    I guess that's a bug of bandwidth monitor or something similar in nature.

I checked my usage, but it was normal 2 to 3GB /day.
    Nothing special, abnormal. Everything working well, so far.
    I guess I'm lucky.

If there were an option between 1 and 2, I would have chosen it. DH hasn't been as stable recently as it used to be, and it's moderately annoying. On the other hand, I'm running a fairly popular site that gets a fair amount of traffic for a very cheap price.

You get what you pay for is true, but I think I'm getting a good deal, especially when you consider what they do allow (full shell access, unlimited php/perl scripting, unlimited domains/subdomains/MySQL databases, unlimited mail aliases etc).

10TB = 10485760MB = 83,886,080Mbit
    1 day = 86400s

So, 10TB/day = 970.9Mbps (or 121.36MB/s)

Even only consider the transfer rate for your downloads, Dreamhost's server has a very fast disk array and put a server in a Gb port... I think most shared server will only use a 100Mb port..

I've been using DH for long time ago but only last for about 3-4 months. Guess what? I've to pay for 105+USD for a bandwith of 2-3TB that I think my site will never used like that. BTW, at that time, DH offer the old package, 1TB b/w 20Gb space. For your info, my site got around 10-30 visitors online at one time and max ever I got with DH is 50 peoples online. One day, I got an email from DH support said that they wanted to throotle my b/w for my website. They didnt tell me that by throotle the b/w make me can use more than 1 TB. I'm willing to offline my site than throotle the b/w. It just a nightmare for me coz they're not telling anything more spesific.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm
    10TB = 10485760MB = 83,886,080Mbit
    1 day = 86400s

So, 10TB/day = 970.9Mbps (or 121.36MB/s)

Even only consider the transfer rate for your downloads, Dreamhost's server has a very fast disk array and put a server in a Gb port... I think most shared server will only use a 100Mb port..
    These servers are connected at 1Gbit actually. They use a central diskarray, which probably will also be able to achieve that speed.

However, its just too much to be actually used. There are other clients on those servers also. 970Mbit for a long period of time just isn't gonna happen.

There is one possibility though: Local loop. If there is a PHP script that somehow downloads / includes a file from its own webserver....it could use up a lot of bandwidth. Especially if that happens in a loop or something.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that
    Web Host Magazine & Buyers Guide
    Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide
    Fair & Objective Reviews, Ratings & Information
    since 1997

Now I have nothing to say........

Today when I logged in the panel to check if my bandwidth usage goes up again:

Do you know what happened??

The bandwidth dropped to my previous nomal status, it only shows 14% usage of this month. So I think they found the issue and fixed it. However, the balance still shows I owe $21000 USD..

So I was kind of happy and send them a letter to remind them regarding fixing the my account balance issue...

The following letter almost drived me crazy..... check this out....from their agent:

------------------------------------------------------------
    Your domain contained wmv files which were referred from _your_ own forum and caused a huge bandwidth surge. If you put your files out there, they are going to be downloaded, as I'm sure you're aware, having all those classifications that you listed in the previous email.

You are responsible for the files, and also for the bandwidth usage they incurred. The most we can do is cut the overage charge in half. Unfortunately, unpaid accounts go into suspension after 60 days, and accounts that are refused to be paid for may get disabled and you won't be able to sign up with us again. We simply can't let you use up all that bandwidth for the lack of appropriate protection on your files.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what he is talking about. Obviously , he does not even know other tech alreay found and fixed their system issue.

So guys, I totally lost my confidence with them..

Have you checked your raw log, and stats?
    What do they say?

Have you been the bandwidth throttle feature available in control panel?

Yes, I did. Yes, I did.

How many times do I need to answer that... Download file is not critical for me, i don't mind the downloads have restrictions even totally shutdown.. I have put everything possible to prevent this ahead.

You are not answering my question.

Do you know how to check your raw log and stats?
    If yes, have you done that?

When you go into control panel, and click "Status" and then "Bandwidth", do you see "Enabled (xxxxGB)" or "Disabled" in the colum of "BW Throttling"?

I'm a MCSE, MCDBA, and CCNA

The domain/stats data and all the logs under /var/log/ which allow me to check, I've already checked.

IT DOESN"T SHOW ME ANYTHING ABOUT THAT 20T/DAY DATA CAME FROM.

if you are asking me if I enabled BW Throttling, I believe I've told you that already in the first post.

Now you are like the DH tech..

Quote Originally Posted by lorin
    The domain/stats data and all the logs under /var/log/ which allow me to check, I've already checked.

IT DOESN"T SHOW ME ANYTHING ABOUT THAT 20T/DAY DATA CAME FROM.
    Thank you.
    What is the actual amount for the day shown by the stat?

if you are asking me if I enabled BW Throttling, I believe I've told you that already in the first post.
    What is the bandwidth you set?

Now you are like the DH tech..
    Tech people (at least those who has access to your directory) doesn't have to ask these question, IMO.
    They should be able to see these from their side.

Anyway, thanks to your post, I decided to put MY bandwidth throttle, just in case.
    (I set it to 1 TB/month.)

Another question.
    Are you really serving 20 to 30G per day of forum traffic?
    Or mainly with static files?

Do you know how many users do you have in forum (average, rough figure.)?

Because it's a little, well actually way too good to be true if you are pulling that much for forum.

I have 800-1000 user online sametime average

20-30G/day include my files download average for about a year now...

Again, thank you for the information.
    And that's impressive.
    800-1000 users and pulling that much bandwidth, for a year.

Have you posted all these in the DH forum?
    Maybe you will find more responses and also other people who had something similar.

And if you post a screenshot, copy of your stat showing much lower bandwidth,
    or the screen shot of bandwidth throttle Enabled on all domains, it may help your case.

they were good before, but now not anymore...
    there are too many customers.
    therefore, the speed is getting low and lower ...

good luck,guys

Here is another update.....

Finally someboday knows what I'm talking about......

FROM DH Tech:

I am glad I was able to resolve this for you, and you were not the only
    account with this issue. Another customer had the same problem as you
    and
    it was on the same day. His wasnt quite excessive as it was about 6TB,
    but it is not possible to exceed 920GB/day on our servers since they
    are
    100baseT. I am sorry we put you through such a scare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

everything was fixed, but I'm not a happy customer anymore...
    How do you feel if this happened to you?

hah! great, it all ends well. All the best & good luck with your forum.
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Quote Originally Posted by lorin
    Today when I logged in the panel to check if my bandwidth usage goes up again:

Do you know what happened??

The bandwidth dropped to my previous nomal status, it only shows 14% usage of this month. So I think they found the issue and fixed it. However, the balance still shows I owe $21000 USD..

So guys, I totally lost my confidence with them..

Hi lorin,

I am interested in signing up with DH. Your post put my plan of signing up on hold. There is no way I could pay that kind of money should I exceeded my bandwidth. Why don't they disable the site should the bandwidth exceeded?

I read their TOS and there is nothing being mentioned regarding this matter. Whenever I wanted to sign up with a web host, I will ask what is their policy regarding this matter. So what you said make me worry because I don't want to pay for extra bandwidth. I am running about 100 web sites and not making that kind of money. I am not successful in affiliate selling. I am more like doing a public service providing free information to the public. So why should I pay that kind of money when I am far away from making that kind of money

To be fair to DH, could you kindly give me the url of your web site so that I could see how fast DH server is from my place?

Thanks.

How do you feel if this happened to you?
    Glad that I got off the hook. Worried about a next time. I'd give myself a bit of time for reflection and then decide on the right course of action.

Hi, koushibasaki,

Don't worry about the money even you DO exceed the bandwidth which most likely will never happen to you if you've setup bandwidth throttling and WebDAV unless they screwed you .

Here is the suggest I give to you.

1. Don't setup automatic payment in the panel ( by default, yes ) . Check the help , remove your CC info.

2. Lower the CC to $500 which you've used in DH just in case.

3. Never transfer your domain to DH. which will give you full of flexibility when you have no choice and need to tranfer to another hosting company.

All in all, without your permission, they can not charge your CC, but they can close your account. Make sure you transfer all your data out before you close it. My site is an almost free public service as well regarding opera, but I don't think you will interest in it because it is in another language and totally different style, and I can not release the URL because I have adsense on it.

What I can tell you is: Vbulletin forums as webhostingtalk with VBSEO , and the speed is good, that is a good part about DH.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by koushibasaki
    Hi lorin,

I am interested in signing up with DH. Your post put my plan of signing up on hold. There is no way I could pay that kind of money should I exceeded my bandwidth. Why don't they disable the site should the bandwidth exceeded?

I read their TOS and there is nothing being mentioned regarding this matter. Whenever I wanted to sign up with a web host, I will ask what is their policy regarding this matter. So what you said make me worry because I don't want to pay for extra bandwidth. I am running about 100 web sites and not making that kind of money. I am not successful in affiliate selling. I am more like doing a public service providing free information to the public. So why should I pay that kind of money when I am far away from making that kind of money

To be fair to DH, could you kindly give me the url of your web site so that I could see how fast DH server is from my place?

Thanks.

I hate to say it, but losing a customer such as yourself is like a drop in the ocean for DH.

If you honestly think any host can make such ridiculous offers and honor them then you are a very silly soul.

Simply put, if you expect mad performance and throughput on a plan that's costing you less than tonights dinner for an entire month then I empathise.

I agree

Hi, Jeff,

I agree with you. Customer like me don't make profit for DH. But most of the DH customers are like me. Don't you agree?

You also need to think about aother way, if they can not provide the package as they promised, why bother offer it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed
    I hate to say it, but losing a customer such as yourself is like a drop in the ocean for DH.

If you honestly think any host can make such ridiculous offers and honor them then you are a very silly soul.

Simply put, if you expect mad performance and throughput on a plan that's costing you less than tonights dinner for an entire month then I empathise.
    I strongly agree with this. Service costs, bottom line. If a provider offers service and features for a low pricing level, expect to get low levels of service and support.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast