GREEN HOSTING! is it really green??

so we see a lot of green hosting these days, but is their a method to certify who is actually is green? - A process, a governing body that can certify these claims
    I know of at least 1 hosting company that claims their power-grid is certified 100% with renewable green energy from wind and solar-powered energy.

the data center is in Toronto - Canada
    i know the company and where that data center is

AND this is a lie, since i know the data center and there is no solar power or wind turbines generating power for them -

however, nothing prevents them for making this statement, and i don't think there is any way to validate a claim of this type?

anyone know of any?

also, if there is - is there a process to get green certified some how?
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

They could have the energy generated from a wind farm and then gone through the electric lines to their building since most city codes, well almost ALL citys, don't allow you to place a wind turbine in the middle of the town. I willing to bet they just buy the renewable energy.

Anyways, no their is no one to regulate them. It's just their word. You can believe it or not. I believe it when hostgator says they have gone green. Their owner has great intentions so I think he is being truthful when they post it on their site.

Others might just use it as a marketing ploy... and a big lie.

Jordan

The data center doesnt necessarily have to be green powered to claim green hosting. A hosting company can invest their profits in financial instruments of green power generation companies and thus claim to be green.

So I can run a hosting business from a data center located in a country which doesnt have any renewable green energy systems but I can still go green.

hostgator is with the planet but I believe they might have worked something out in terms of power. - they claim 130% renewal energy on their website - i believe hostgator as well as they are buying certificates http://www.3degreesinc.com/products/recs so i guess thats how its done
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    The data center doesnt necessarily have to be green powered to claim green hosting. A hosting company can invest their profits in financial instruments of green power generation companies and thus claim to be green.
    Yeah, that's called purchasing carbon offsets. For most hosts, this is pretty much all they can do. Of course there's other things they can do to make their operation more efficient, like replacing older desktops with laptops, that use much less power. Stuff like that reduces your energy consumption. Restructuring their inventory to be more virtuslized, is also a method of managing an inventory, that uses less power, rather than having separate servers sitting there being inefficient.

Asio.net explains that in more detail here -
    Then to reduce electricity even further, we have gone with a solution from Sirius Computer Solutions, NetApp, IBM, and VMWare that allows us to run hundreds of virtual servers only on a dozen physical servers. Most data centers experience "server sprawl" because every time they get a new application, they run it on its own server. So in the average data center, the servers are running at 4 percent to 8 percent capacity. AISO saw this issue and purchased a solution to stop it. Now, instead of assigning each server an application or a task, virtualization lets us put individual physical servers into their own "virtual machines," increasing the physical servers efficiency and shrinking our data centers' server footprint. Many of the old servers, assigned to an individual application or dedicated customer, were being used at only 5 percent to 10 percent capacity. "I want them spinning, not sleeping," says Phil Nail, Director of Technology for AISO. "The goal is 70 to 75 percent utilization." Through this virtualization process, AISO has cut their physical server count over 95 percent. "A very big part of this project's return on investment [ROI] is energy and cooling," Nail says. "The biggest projected savings is to avoid buying more servers. Power was No. 2 on the ROI list, he explained. "Each old server chewed up 400 watts of power. The new IBM servers might consume 625 watts, but I am replacing 30 of the old servers with one of these."
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I think it is a great thing that hosts are buying green energy to offset there use on the grid.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

It got ya talking about it .... that's marketing 101

Just paint your servers green.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    Just paint your servers green.
    ugh wish we could

Just create a green website.

It is all in the presentation to create a green image!?

Nothing we humans and especially businesses do is very green. Green is a loaded word tbh
    Carbon offset etc is debatable and a lot of it marketing gimicks. If you want to be properly green, then give up business and move to a sustainable wooden shack in the hills and eat and farm natural sustainable plants in season

But i guess, in the long run, whatever companies can do to offset and lower their energy consumption is a good thing
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by protecweb View Post
    . . . But i guess, in the long run, whatever companies can do to offset and lower their energy consumption is a good thing
    Yeah, the fact that we're thinking and talking about this, is a step in the right direction, IMO.

I'm experimenting with solar and wind power now, and will take my home office off the power grid, and power it with a few solar panels and a few 130AH batteries. The next house I build will be 100% powered by solar panels and wind turbines.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by protecweb View Post
    Nothing we humans and especially businesses do is very green.
    Even the 'greeness' of death: funeral, burial, cremation, is always going to be not 100% 'green', but when I'm dead, I will not loose any sleep over it