Question what does CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED status means?

hi all,

i registered an expired domain in late Feb, and loacked its status.

i've put an alert through whois.sc for status change. i just now recieved that the domain status is changed.

old status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
    new status: CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED / CLIENTTRANSFERPROHIBITED / CLIENTUPDATEPROHIBITED / REGISTRAR-LOCK

can anyone tell me whats goin on....

tia,

// chall3ng3r //

CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED: The registrar sets the domain to this status. Requests to delete the domain name MUST be rejected. The domain name can be modified, renewed, or transferred. The domain SHALL be included in the zone when in this status if the domain has at least one delegated name server.
    http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applic...832bis-01.html

While CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED is a weird status I would really worry about CLIENTTRANSFERPROHIBITED and CLIENTUPDATEPROHIBITED.

hmmm my friend domains has clientTransferProhibited..... I'll check ICANN about it.

i still didn't get what that means

my english is not that good. can you tell me what does this means???

i mean why te status changed to this, and what's next? how to get the status back to Reg.Lock?

tia,

// chall3ng3r //

Well, CLIENTxxxxPROHIBITED always means that you cant do xxxx on your domain. Be it a delete, a transfer or an update.

The delete is weird but not something I would immediately worry about, the transfer and update however are something to worry about, because it basically means you cannot transfer your domain to another registrar nor even update it.

For further information you can only contact your registrar.

I think there is something about it with the old owner, I would really worry about this and contact my registrar!
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

i've also sent a request to my registrar, which is directnic.

now i'm worried :|

// chall3ng3r //
    Last edited by chall3ng3r; 04-03-2006 at 05:58 AM.

lemme tell you guys one more thing.

there's a whois service called www.whois.sc, and i've setup thier domain statuscode alerts. i recieved this status change notification through them.

i've just check using some popular whois services (including whois.sc) that the domain's current status is REGISTRAR-LOCK.
    but godaddy's whois shows:
    EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
    EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited

i also checked some of my other .com domain's whois from http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/
    found that they also have same status, then i checked microsoft.com, it have same status as well.

tia,

// chall3ng3r //
    Last edited by chall3ng3r; 04-03-2006 at 07:10 AM.

here is a hint, try UNLOCKING your domain name, if its status becomes ACTIVE then no problems at all, ReLock it and your mind free
    Proud Moroccan

thanks for the tip. i'll try it, but not now.

i'm still interested in knowing why this happens?

// chall3ng3r //

If the hint works, then it may just be the following:

REGISTRAR-LOCK will equal and mean :

EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
    EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Cheers
    Proud Moroccan

hmmm but if your on clientDeleteProhibited, does that mean when the domain expires.... that it will delete and you'll be able to buy it? I found a domain that's in that status, but am looking to get it when it expires.

Quote Originally Posted by chall3ng3r
    hi all,

i registered an expired domain in late Feb, and loacked its status.

i've put an alert through whois.sc for status change. i just now recieved that the domain status is changed.

old status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
    new status: CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED / CLIENTTRANSFERPROHIBITED / CLIENTUPDATEPROHIBITED / REGISTRAR-LOCK

can anyone tell me whats goin on....

tia,

// chall3ng3r //
    Currently, there are 2 different protocols that registrars use to communicate with the central registries. The first and older protocol is Registry Registrar Protocol (RRP). The second and newer protocol is Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP). Most central registries are transitioning from RRP to EPP.

Currently COM, NET registries use RRP, whereas ORG, INFO, and BIZ registries use EPP.

In RRP, a locked domain has status "REGISTRAR-LOCK". It means you can not delete the domain, transfer the domain, or update it's nameservers.

In EPP, a locked domain uses 3 statuses to implement the same functionality. These statuses are "CLIENTDELETEPROHIBITED", "CLIENTTRANSFERPROHIBITED", and "CLIENTUPDATEPROHIBITED".

Most likely what happened is that the central registry for your domain recently changed their protocol from RRP to EPP. Your domain should not be affected in any way, as the protocol change is transparent to the domain owners. Hope this helps.

I had a similar experience and this was the response I received from my Registrar:-

Although some registrars have begun to implement the EPP security protocol for .com and .net domains, the global registry (Verisign) does not yet require an EPP/authorization key for registrar transfer of these TLD's.

We have not yet implemented this additional security feature and the requirements for transferring your domain between registrars have not changed to include EPP authorization. Although some registrars have begun to migrate to the EPP protocol, they cannot yet require an EPP/authorization key for transfer of .com and .net domains.

Verisign is now including EPP status in domain status whois output

Domains in Registrar-LOCK status will show EPP status of "Client Update prohibited", "Client Transfer prohibited" and "Client Delete Prohibited". Eventually, .com and .net domain names will require an EPP/authorization key for transfer just as .org, .biz, .us, .cn, .tw and .info domains do now.

Although the status "clientUpdateProhibited " sounds as though you will not be allowed to make changes to your domain, this is not the case. You can make changes (DNS, whois, etc.) from within your account or through your reseller. These EPP statuses affect only registrar transfer and will not have an impact on domain resolution.