Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista..

Windows Vista..

Anyone using it yet? Im thinking about buying a formatted laptop for work and getting a copy of the "ultimate" or "business" edition..
    Run with it.

It's currently still in beta
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Yeah it's still in Beta but you can get the different editions (Business, Ultimate) betas, at least I think so. I used it for a little while but to be honest it truly is a hog. Unless it's a brand new laptop with the latest gear it wont handle great.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Do notebooks even support the Windows Vista graphics driver necessary to run Aero?

If you buy a notebook now, you are probably going to be able to use only classic or standard, and none of the so-called 3D effects. Am i wrong?

I would not recommend using it as your live OS yet. Remember it's still only a beta and there could be bugs.. errors and it's a total resource hog. If previous microsoft products are anything to go by if I was you I would wait for the final, stable release version .

-- Matt
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Oh so it is a resource hog, and Its supposed to be easier on resources then XP.. haha figures microsoft.

Well i was going to get a formatted alienwares and its vista ready so... ill probably put that off for a few months.
    Run with it.

Yeh, I would recommend you use it when it's stable. It's looking good though .

From what i see on their website, the sidebar looks similar to RedHat's GUI sidebar system..
    Run with it.

Oh so it is a resource hog, and Its supposed to be easier on resources then XP.. haha figures microsoft.
    It is in Beta. Resource hog is expected of beta.

Also, look at the specs required to run Vista compared to those required to run XP, tell me you expect Vista to use less resources...

Another thing to note is that Windows won't release an upgrade to the full version from a beta version. The only way you can get a full version is to reformat your computer and reinstall everything again...

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    It is in Beta. Resource hog is expected of beta.

Also, look at the specs required to run Vista compared to those required to run XP, tell me you expect Vista to use less resources...

Another thing to note is that Windows won't release an upgrade to the full version from a beta version. The only way you can get a full version is to reformat your computer and reinstall everything again...
    Well i was speaking in respects to say compare how windows xp manages its usage of resources to how vista is supposed to. I would hope that future operating systems actually use the 1GB of RAM, and 3ghz processors that we see today, else whats the point of spending the money on them if its not being put to good use?
    Run with it.

I have been using it since December as the only OS on my laptop. I'm a tester so I get the updated monthly builds, too. So far I don't have any real regrets.

I'd suggest that your laptop have a 7200RPM drive, 1Gig of RAM, and for visual effects a DX9 certified card. But unless you game only the first two are important. The slower hard drives are murder in Vista.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Yeah im thinking about a AMD 64, are you running AMD or Intel?
    Run with it.

Intel 32-bit platform. (1.8Ghz Pentium M processor). Performance is just fine for my purposes and my DX9 certified Radeon X300 works Ok for basic gaming and the Aero desktop. If you have "on-board" graphics that share video memory with your system memory, you won't be able to use the Aero interface. But you won't be missing a whole lot other than being able to Ooooo and Ahhh some people.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I've been bashing around with Beta 2 for a while now, and I don't like it. Obviously it looks pretty, but its not very stable, its a drain on resources and to be perfectly honest I dont see any significant changes. Obviously theres the whole security thing, but tbh you can get anti-virus software that does that same job already...

The latest build, build 5456 works great! Much faster than Beta 2. I'm using it as my main OS since monday and I didn't have any serious problems yet. Just a few minor bugs which I can live with.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Managed/Self-Managed VPS Hosting and more
    17+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 100% Uptime SLA

Pure SSD Hosting

At the moment there is just one BETA which has all the features. This they say will be the same as Ultimate edition. If you are a MS TechNet subscriber then you should have had a few different versions by now, if not then you will just have to wait and see if they do a public beta

Beta 2 was a lousy build. If they'd waited just a couple weeks longer it would have been received a lot better. Too late now. The poor Technet subscribers aren't being thrown a lot of internal test builds, which is quite dissapointing. Many larger companies with subscriptions could probably use the monthly builds to continue limited testing of product compatiblity.

I've used vista on my laptop since it was release in beta 2... no major issues, no bugs to report. The only grip I really have is the security "feature." It is an "in your face" type deal that I think many people will turn off after a while. I also use apple osx and it is secure without all the warnings and crap. (OS is a tool... so I am not saying osx is better or whatever... no win vs. apple crap, just facts from my experience).

Anway, security is my only complaint... I think it should be more behind the scenes. Plus, I do not see how this new security will keep people from harming themselves... kids installing crap to run a game, etc. They will simply say "yes" to everything, no matter what. I'm not an os expert so maybe I missed something or don't know something about the os and the new security.

Vista is stable and does not use more resources than xp, from what I can see. It was slower than vista for about 4 to 6 hours after my first install and multiple boots. At first I was thinking it was crap... but then everything smoothed out.

xp was so good, that I did get the "I need to use vista from now on" that I got when I tested 2000 from win 98. I had to have win 2000... then when I tested xp, I had to have that! Vista is like, oh, ok... I use osx and xp in my home business, and use vista now as well... I just don't see a big reason to upgrade. That worries me since I love MS products....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

vista is fine
    i have the beta
    but i still prefer XP over Vista
    to me, vista feels like a slower version of XP with a special skin and alot of new errors, kinda like the Windows Millenium feel...but with a new skin
    have fun testing it out, you wont use it for long.

Yep, I have it...Some things to note..

ATI:
    Graphics driver does work, Haven't tried the All in Wonder software...

DVICO
    Fusion HDTV 5 Drivers do NOT work PROPERLY. I got the application to run for 5 minutes before it kept on crashing...

AIM:
    Aim Pro Beta, and Aim 6 do NOT work.

A whole bunch of other minor applications I downloaded as trial runs don't seem to work either..
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil V
    Yep, I have it...Some things to note..

ATI:
    Graphics driver does work, Haven't tried the All in Wonder software...

DVICO
    Fusion HDTV 5 Drivers do NOT work PROPERLY. I got the application to run for 5 minutes before it kept on crashing...

AIM:
    Aim Pro Beta, and Aim 6 do NOT work.

A whole bunch of other minor applications I downloaded as trial runs don't seem to work either..
    Sometimes you have to run programs in "admin mode." Right click on the application's shortcut and the rest you can figure out... you might already know this... only trying to help....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

yep, already tried it , no go!
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Quote Originally Posted by BluFX
    vista is fine
    i have the beta
    but i still prefer XP over Vista
    to me, vista feels like a slower version of XP with a special skin and alot of new errors, kinda like the Windows Millenium feel...but with a new skin
    have fun testing it out, you wont use it for long.
    Kind of like when we were all on Windows 2000 and got copies of Windows Whistler (XP). That "bubble gum" theme was hot.

I setup windows vista, and in my opinion there is no better than xp.

I've installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on my laptop. It seemed to run fine but I removed it since it's security notices where getting on my nerves .

Since vista runs everything in the lowest security state as soon as anything needs to be changed you need to grant elevated security priviledges. I just find it annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast