Question High Load but low cpu and iowait - cPanel/WHM

My server currently has high load than normal, the top command doesnt reveal anything unusual (high cpu idle), and the iowait is hovering around 2% constantly.

I've tried running 'iotop' which shows the following process using most of the IO:

jbd2/sda1-8
    What is this process and how can I reduce my server load?

Quote Originally Posted by kshazad86 View Post
    My server currently has high load than normal, the top command doesnt reveal anything unusual (high cpu idle), and the iowait is hovering around 2% constantly.

I've tried running 'iotop' which shows the following process using most of the IO:

What is this process and how can I reduce my server load?

JBD stand for 'journaling block device' (more information about it find here) which its job is in between the block device and the file system.

so it is related to your ext4 file system using I/O and causing high loads. check if there's something running on your server or if there isn't anything active check the log files and see if they're populated with some interesting messages.

anyhow, when you say 'has high load than normal' what exactly the load is/was?

could you post the output of `top -n1 -b` when the load will be high

to reduce your server load, you first need to track-down the cause which is causing high loads and then optimize/fix it.
    ---=== RoseHosting.com Admin ===---
    Linux Server Management and Outsourced Web Hosting Support - linuxhostsupport.com
    Managed Linux VPS Hosting - rosehosting.com
    High Quality Linux virtual servers with lots of Guaranteed RAM and SSD space, Impeccable Service.

You've basically copied and pasted this from a different website which I already checked before posting on this board.

There are no issues with the log files.

You may have an defective drive, Have you had them checked over?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Ok, then please provide some output for everyone reading this thread to be able to help you with your issue.

Regarding the ext4 io interrupts, you may look if some application is invoking such activities when your server's load is high or idling and thus looking in the log files for any unusual activities.

try using `ps auwwwxf`, `top -n1 -b`, `iotop` etc.. to find what exactly is happening.

as for the JBD, I read some time ago about it and as you asked 'What is this process' I remembered about it and referenced you there.

it would be nice if you post some more information so anybody can have a deeper look into your problem.

thanks,
    Linux Server Management and Outsourced Web Hosting Support - linuxhostsupport.com
    High Quality Linux virtual servers with lots of Guaranteed RAM and SSD space, Impeccable Service.

Server load resolved itself, consulted with cPanel and was told the load was not abnormal (2.0 on 8 Core CPU).

Quote Originally Posted by kshazad86 View Post
    Server load resolved itself, consulted with cPanel and was told the load was not abnormal (2.0 on 8 Core CPU).
    I agree with that too. that's definitely not a high load for your 8 core cpu.

Is it a dedicated server or are you sharing with other users? Sometimes another node can impact your performance.

Hi,

I think there is a unnecessary server load on your server, or someone trying to install TCP bombs in your network, you should find our the particular IP's from :-

netstat -an | grep :80 | sort
    This will show only active Internet connections to the server on port 80 and sort the results. Useful in detecting a single flood by allowing you to recognize many connections coming from one IP.

netstat -n -p|grep SYN_REC | wc -l
    Run this command to find out how many active SYNC_REC are occurring on the server. The number should be pretty low, preferably less than 5. On DoS attack incidents or mail bombs, the number can jump to pretty high.

Find out those IP's which you find making high concurrent connections, try to stop them in your /etc/hosts.deny file, or in your firewall, CSF would be best option.
    RackNap
    Business Automation Platform for Web Hosting and Cloud Solution Providers