do all web servers have static IP addresses?

Got a bit of a noob question here

I'm thinking of pointing 1 subdomain to my shared host at dreamhost, and another subdomain to my shared host at surpasshosting... not sure if this will work (I'm not even sure godaddy can do this...)

I was told that all commercial webservers have static IP addresses, but I wasn't so sure... so, do all webservers have a static IP address? Or do I need to check with my hosts?

You would be very hardpressed to find a provider who doesn't allocated dedicated IP addresses to their own systems.

So yes, basically all commercial webservers have static IP addresses. Otherwise that'd be a pain to manage

awesome! thanks David

I read this thread and am thinking of doing this, as the 2 subdomains have rather different needs, each more suitable for 1 webhost

Yes, each connected server will have its own unique public IP address and that is what allows it to be found on the web.

However, if you want to host different sub domains at different places, you do not need your own dedicated IP for it. It is very simple really.

You will need to host your DNS Server at a neutral place, perhaps one good place to start would be to make use of your Domain Name Registrar DNS service or place like DNSMadeeasy.com or Zoneedit.com. I heard that MyDomains.com allows you to use their DNS Service even if you are not their customers but I cannot verify that.

Two things you need to do. First create the subdomain on your shared hosting sites. If the control panel restricts you from doing so, get the web host to set it up for you. Most will be willing to do so for free. Then find out what the shared IP is for that site.

Second, at the DNS Records, place an 'A' record for the subdomain and point it to the shared IP of the shared hosting account. Then you are set. Of course, at your domain name registrar, you need to point to use the DNS Server which you are using.

The reason for the 3rd party DNS Servers is that web hosts normally do not allow you to point outside of their network.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

wow thanks a lot eddy

I followed the instructions on that other thread, and I think it's similar to what you have described

I'm currently using godaddy's nameservers, and under their "total dns" control panel, under A (Host), I've added the host name: subdomain.domain.com pointing to the IP address of the webserver which is meant to host that subdomain

I'm guessing that godaddy (my registrar) is acting as the "neutral place" for the DNS servers correct?

thanks again for that great writeup

Shiyan,

Yes, in this case they're handling the DNS. You simply point the 'A' entries to each of the other providers as necessary

thanks a lot David

Keeping the 'neutral' DNS Servers is beneficial really for more than this issue.

For me, I do mirror my core site on several web host and if one goes down, I just do a quick change of the IP address and traffic can diverted to the working host. It works great.

Also if you intend to move from web host to another, changing 'A' record IP allows you to shift with almost no downtime.

Typically if you use the web host DNS Server, you do not get that benefit and moving requires you to ensure both places are up while the new DNS details propagates.

Have Fun!
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

great tip eddy

I think I'll edit all my sites to use the neutral DNS server from now on

as I was trying out severall budget hosts I now have accounts with quite a few... changing the IP address to point to a different server could come in very handy.