Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need proxy help

need proxy help

hey,

i been looking for a way to disable hotlinking in phproxy. I think some sites are using my site as a hotlinking source. Is there anyway to block this?

I figured it's time I shared some logic with the proxy community.

I just wrote a short article regarding the prevention of hotlinking files via phproxy.

The article can be found here: http://www.webmastertalk.net/showthread.php?t=29
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Looks nice Amdac.
    Can this be optimised to include other preffered referrer sites such as proxy.org etc?
    Another point is that you are loosing alot of ad traffic that would have came through your site on proxified pages.
    CPM on proxified pages can be worth the extra bandwidth that's used up.

comment more later...

Quote Originally Posted by messa
    Looks nice Amdac.
    Can this be optimised to include other preffered referrer sites such as proxy.org etc?
    Another point is that you are loosing alot of ad traffic that would have came through your site on proxified pages.
    CPM on proxified pages can be worth the extra bandwidth that's used up.

comment more later...
    In regards to the loss of ads, the only direct links to proxied pages would be posts on other sites. There's no way for a search engine to crawl anything beyond the index page. If you'd like to accomodate for ads on direct links, you could simply add the ads to the error page as well. As long as you provide a link back to the index page in your error message, there's a good chance you'll retain most of the traffic.

You've made a good point about allowing proxy.org, considering my site is listed there as well. I'll do some quick modifications and add it to the article in a few minutes. Thanks!
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

On my site 24proxy.com i did a refresh that will refresh the page instantly so i won't lose the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Amdac
    I'll do some quick modifications and add it to the article in a few minutes. Thanks!
    I took the easy route, the orginal idea was much more complex. It should now allow proxy.org.

Bug fix. The original script doesn't display the url include forum if the body tag of a site is empty

do you have a fix for that?

I'll let you know in a sec.
    Last edited by Amdac; 05-14-2006 at 01:03 AM.

Are you saying you want url_form.inc included on the intercepted pages? Just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

When you access pages like yahoo.com then view there news the url_form disappears.

aim: crspyjohn
    msn: crspyjohn@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by crspyjohn
    When you access pages like yahoo.com then view there news the url_form disappears.

aim: crspyjohn
    msn: crspyjohn@hotmail.com
    Ah, that's a completely different issue with phproxy.

The solution to that can be found here (check the post by murdock):
    http://whitefyre.com/boards/genmessage.php?topic=102

That enables it on many sites that it normally doesn't show up on.

thanks you

Glad I could help.

Nice resource, Amdac. I personally just added something similar to what I've got running. I've been having similar problems with hotlinking, so what I added was...

Code:
    if ( $_GET["q"] && !(strpos( $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"], "http://www.proxyboys." ) === 0 || strpos( $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"], "http://proxyboys." ) === 0 || $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] == "" )) {
    	Header( "Referer: http://www.proxyboys.com/" );
    	Header( "Location: http://www.proxyboys.com/index.php" );
    }
    Now, I'm not 100% sure that this will even work, and I tried to test it but then I realized that the HTTP_REFERER environment variable isn't even being set on my server, or at least not when I was trying to access it, but it should work in theory.

Difference is is that I added the part in where it allows the user to bypass the hotlink filter if they enter in the URL directly (or have it bookmarked). I also took in to account that some people access websites without using the "www" prefix.

Anywho, if someone uses this, let me know - just throw it at the top of your page before any includes etc. Curious to know if it works. I think my server is just a little borked (I'm terrible at managing my own VPS, so for all I know I left off some important Apache2 module when upgrading.)
    Joshua Simmons
    Virtual Developer
    www.v-dev.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vdevelopers
    || $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] == ""
    I don't know why I didn't think of that, definately a nice touch.

proxyhelper.com

Interesting way to prevent hotlinking I went a totally different way and started switching the query string based on ip and day and creating an md5 of that and trimming it down to a reasonable length.

So rather than say

PHP Code:
    http://www.arandomproxy.com/index.php?q=d3d3LmRldm90ZWRob3N0Lm5ldA--&hl=11111010011111101001

I get
    http
    ://www.arandomproxy.com/index.php?b47c3=d3d3LmRldm90ZWRob3N0Lm5ldA--&hl=11111010011111101001 
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

For some reason this script didnt work for me. I tried linking from my blog, and it still works.

Odd.

I'm going to try reinstalling php proxy with a fresh copy and then try it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Only the first one works.`

I know mine works since I use it myself, the link in the post is proof.

Works for me too.

How would I add multiple sites to the referrer list?

Quote Originally Posted by messa
    Works for me too.

How would I add multiple sites to the referrer list?
    I've edited it a bit since the initial post and added that option.

Might want to mention, register_globals needs to be set to ON in the PHP.ini file for this script to function correctly.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    Interesting way to prevent hotlinking I went a totally different way and started switching the query string based on ip and day and creating an md5 of that and trimming it down to a reasonable length.

So rather than say

PHP Code:
    http://www.arandomproxy.com/index.php?q=d3d3LmRldm90ZWRob3N0Lm5ldA--&hl=11111010011111101001

I get
    http
    ://www.arandomproxy.com/index.php?b47c3=d3d3LmRldm90ZWRob3N0Lm5ldA--&hl=11111010011111101001 
    Thats an interesting approach but how would you accomodate "legit hotlinkers" such as proxy.org? Proxy.org expects a certain url to work. I think Baron has an auto script that checks proxies periodically. Whenever I change anything in my proxifed path I find that my proxy gets mistakenly labelled as disabled on proxy.org.

The Post in whitefyre's site appears to be down (actually the entire forums are). I need to test my anti-hotlinking code but I am confused on just how to 'test' it. I also would like the code to get my mini-bar up on more pages. Anyone want to lend a hand? =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast