Can Somebody help me with DNS please?

Hi,

First, thanks to everyone here at WHT for their great help. I have revently gotten a RaQ 4i server from rackshack.net and their service seems alright.

One of the problems I'm facing is relaying emails from my Virtual Sites. I've tried setting up the Email Parameters and allowed relaying for the domains as well as IP addresses but I still can't get it to work. The tech people at Rack Shack told me that I have to use my local ISP but they dont allow relaying either unless your email address is at their domain.

I asked one of the tech guys at Rack Shack if setting up my own DNS on my server would solve the problem ans they said that it would. So I'm off to venture into the brave world of setting DNS server on my RaQ and would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

I have a VERY small idea of what to do and how to start. Please let me know if what I'm doing is right and how I should progress. For example, I'll use domain.com as my parent domain and virtual.com as my virtual site

1) Request Additional IPs for my RaQ server from Rack Shack- Already done- I now have 5 IP Addresses

2) Ask Rackshack to setup ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as give them one of the IP addresses I've reveived (No point in giving two coz if the server is down, both the IPs wont work)

3) Umm....that's all I know! Any help from here on would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Abbas

Aloha
    just so ya know some people might flame ya for not using the search
    try starting here
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=RaQ+AND+DNS

I put some links in they might help ya out
    you could also use a 3rd party dns service
    do a search you will find all kinds of answers
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Honu,

I tried a search but everything was in bits and peices. It would be great if we can create a step-by-step guide for all the newbies like me!

-Abbas

Couple of things. First, #2, as I said in another post, is flawed because you need *two* IP addresses to set this up. Doesn't matter about the same machine thing...

Second, I don't see how this would solve your problem. What you want to do is enable the ability to send outbound mail correct? Have you installed the POP Auth before SMTP script? If no, I'd try that first, as even with what you are planning to do, sending mail without it still won't work.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    as even with what you are planning to do, sending mail without it still won't work.
    That would definitely defy the purpose of me going through all those headaches

I tried to open up relaying from the IPs from where the mail was gonna be sent but that still didn't help. Would POP before SMTP help in that case? Anybody else having the same problem?

Thanks for your constant help Chicken- I really appreciate it.

-Abbas

No problem... I'd try installing the POP before SMTP first before doing any of this and after that, check your mail, and try to send. There are reasons why this *still* wouldn't work. Your ISP might prevent you from relaying mail (some do), and if that is the case, then you will have to use your ISP's SMTP servers (but this is not difficult to do, some quick settings in Outlook Express and no one will be able to tell the difference).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by AbbasJaffarali
    Honu,

I tried a search but everything was in bits and peices. It would be great if we can create a step-by-step guide for all the newbies like me!

-Abbas
    yeah no prob
    I know the links in the other post have some good info

one of my friends who was helping me test an account could not send mail out at all which may have been his isp not allowing as Chicken says
    Chicken knows his way around a Raq very well it seems so def here what he says should help ya out

in your email alias settings did you put in more than just your mail
    panotoools.com, mail.panotools.com, ww.panotools.com

I noticed when I first got my raq I had to do this to get mail out
    as when I first got it I only put in the mail.panotools.com and not the others

the other thing to do is to get a couple accounts set up and send to a few friends and have them try it out see if they can get mail in and out

keep us posted
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Re: Can Somebody help me with DNS please?

Originally posted by AbbasJaffarali
    Hi,

First, thanks to everyone here at WHT for their great help. I have revently gotten a RaQ 4i server from rackshack.net and their service seems alright.

One of the problems I'm facing is relaying emails from my Virtual Sites. I've tried setting up the Email Parameters and allowed relaying for the domains as well as IP addresses but I still can't get it to work. The tech people at Rack Shack told me that I have to use my local ISP but they dont allow relaying either unless your email address is at their domain.

I asked one of the tech guys at Rack Shack if setting up my own DNS on my server would solve the problem ans they said that it would. So I'm off to venture into the brave world of setting DNS server on my RaQ and would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

I have a VERY small idea of what to do and how to start. Please let me know if what I'm doing is right and how I should progress. For example, I'll use domain.com as my parent domain and virtual.com as my virtual site

1) Request Additional IPs for my RaQ server from Rack Shack- Already done- I now have 5 IP Addresses

2) Ask Rackshack to setup ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as give them one of the IP addresses I've reveived (No point in giving two coz if the server is down, both the IPs wont work)
    That won't work dude. most registrars want ns1 and ns2 on differnt IPs. Some even require different subnets.

3) Umm....that's all I know! Any help from here on would be greatly appreciated!
    Your host is lying to you. You don't need to manage your own DNS to solve your problems. They are just being lazy. fscking lazy hosts...at least we know who they are now. heh

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

This is what I've done so far:

1) Created two sub domains called ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com (However, I haven't registered these domains with Rack Shack's Name Servers- Is this necessary?)

2) Assigned the IP given to me during server setup (Primary IP) to ns1.domain.com and another IP that was given to me later on for ns2.domain.com (Secondary IP)

3) Created Address "A" record for both ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com pointing them to the relevant IPs. Also checked the "Create Reverse" automatically so PTR was also created automatically in this step

4) Under Network Settings, changed the Primary DNS to the Primary IP and the Secondary DNS to the secondary IP- Is the IP address ok, or do I need to type "ns1.domain.com" and ns2.domain.com here.

5) Registered the name servers with Dotster as ns1.domain.com with the primary IP and ns2.domain.com as the secondary IP. It's been three days since I've done this and they still dont show up in the WHOIS at Network Solutions website. Any idea how long this procedure takes?

Thanks
    Abbas

1) Created two sub domains called ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com (However, I haven't registered these domains with Rack Shack's Name Servers- Is this necessary?)
    No, you don't need to register the subdomains with any nameservers. Just set up them on your server, register the subdomains/namservers with your registrar. Wait for up to 3 days (mostly takes 1 or 2 days), it should working well then.

3) Created Address "A" record for both ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com pointing them to the relevant IPs. Also checked the "Create Reverse" automatically so PTR was also created automatically in this step
    Did you set up two virtual sites for your subdomains? If I am not wrong, it's necessary to do so before everything start working.

Originally posted by Donovan

Did you set up two virtual sites for your subdomains? If I am not wrong, it's necessary to do so before everything start working.
    Yep. sorry I forgot to mention but I did that in the first step. I'm waiting for Dotster to register those Name Servers as they are still not showing up in a WHOIS at Network Solutions. Any other way of checking if they're up and running?

Thanks
    -Abbas

Abbas, have you got it to work?

If yes would you be kind enough tp post the results so that others in need like me can look at the results!
    Thank you,
    ML

Abbass
    I too have a machine at rackshack.net and have no problems with email. I installed the POP before AUTH package. I use rackshacks DNS. Make sure you have the DNS configured properly and the email aliases setup properly as well.

A major newbie mistake is not putting domain.com into the email alias field. Be default (at rackshack at least), your email address is user@www.domain.com. Trying to send mail to user@domain.com will not work. Make sure your email aliases are set to include domain.com and that the DNS points to your server for these domains.

If this still does not work, put your local machines IP address into the relay field and try again. I have seen some set ups that still do not relay mail with POP before SMTP installed.

(P.S. This info is for a Raq4i).

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Make sure you have the DNS configured properly
    and the email aliases setup properly as well.

What is the proper DNS for the SMTP server?

If this still does not work, put your local machines IP address into the relay field and try again. I have seen some set ups that still do not relay mail with POP before SMTP installed.

I have a Raq3 with POP before SMTP installed and it still does not work. I travel all over the world and need to use my server's SMTP. Lookings for IP's all over the place makes it very inconviniente. Do I also need reverse DNS for it to work with POP before SMTP ?
    Thank you,
    ML

DNS Setup
    Make sure both domain.com and www.domain.com point to your server's IP address.

Also make sure you have entered domain.com in the email alias section of the control panel. (I am assuming Raq 3's support this option).

Using your IP
    Using your IP is just for testing. Afterwards, you can open up the relay to other areas using wildcards, e.g. *.com to allow all .com's.

You should take a look at your maillogs for any details or error codes -- perhaps post a snippet of a denied session here -- maybe somebody can help.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

* POP before SMTP

This is exactly what POP before SMTP does -- it allows you to relay
    through your own server IF you remember to actually POP mail on the server before trying to send something?

That's what I was doing wrong for the last few days......finally
    Thank you,
    ML