Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wordpress as a CMS

From looking around Google, it appears Wordpress might be a good idea for someone who has little idea about using a CMS.

I am quite happy putting together css and xhtml pages, but I want the option of other folks to be able to edit my future site. CMS appears the way to go.

I have never used Wordpress before, I have a few questions for those who use it as a CMS.

Can multiple users edit the content?
    Can I insert my own html and php scripts into the content, and/or edit the framework of a theme such as the css?
    Can it handle small to medium sites, pages upward of 50 to 80?
    Easy to use for others who have zero experience of how a web page works, ie just simply inserting text content and pics?

Thank you.

Yes, it can do all the things you are asking. I do suggest you to grab a copy and test in your site. Installation is ultra easy. You can also check youtube for introductory videos to wordpress.. there are plenty!

Check out our server side video transcoding solution: Tremendum Transcoder

Hosting companies, offer Tremendum Transcoder as add-on to your clients.

Yes, WP is the best CMS and have more features:
    1. Ease of Use
    WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is a breeze and can be done quickly. Because the technology is so simple, time spent on formatting is greatly reduced.

2. Manage Your Website from Any Computer
    WordPress is browser-based. You can login from any Internet connected computer and manage your site.

3. No HTML Editing or FTP Software Required
    WordPress is a self-contained system and does not require HTML editing software (such as Adobe Contribute or Dreamweaver). You can create a new page or blog post, format text, upload images (and edit them), upload documents, video files, image galleries, etc. all without the need for additional HTML or FTP software.

4. Search Engines Love WordPress Sites
    The code behind WordPress is very clean and simple, making it easy for search engines to read and index a site’s content. In addition, each page, post, and image can have its own meta tag keywords, description, and title, and be optimized for specific keywords, allowing for very precise search engine optimization. You can also use tags to further enhance your search engine optimization efforts.

5. You Have Control of Your Site
    No more waiting for your web designer to make simple updates to your site. With WordPress, you have control of nearly every aspect of your site and can easily make those simple updates yourself.

6. The Design of Your Website is 100% Customizable
    WordPress acts as the engine for your website. The look and feel of the site can be 100% customized so your brand can shine through on your site and provide a unique experience to your visitors.

7. A Blog is Built-in and Ready to Go
    Since WordPress was originally created as a blogging platform, blogging capabilities are built-in and are easy to integrate, if desired. Setting up RSS / email subscriptions to your blog, commenting capabilities, and automatically adding the most recent blog posts to other pages of the site (your home page, for example) are also very simple to set-up, and help to extend your company’s reach and make your site more dynamic and interactive.

8. Extend the Functionality of Your Site with Plugins
    Want to add an event calendar, video gallery, Twitter Feed, Facebook Fan Box, and more to your site? WordPress makes this possible with plugins, most of which are free or very reasonably priced.

9. Your Site Can Grow as Your Business Grows
    WordPress sites are very scalable. You can have hundreds of thousands of pages or blog posts on your site and the performance of the site will not be compromised in the least.

10. Have Multiple Users
    As an administrator of a WordPress site, you can set-up multiple users for the website and assign access levels and capabilities to each user.
    INSIGHT TECHNOLOGY LLC | | NY/FL/CA, US - UK/FR/DE, Europe - SG, Asia!
    SSD Cloud Linux Hosting | LiteSpeed Reseller Hosting | Multi-Location Server Hosting!
    Self Managed SSD VPS | Managed cPanel VPS | High Performance Dedicated Servers!
    UP TO 80% OFF ON ALL HOSTING PLANS! WEB HOSTING DEALS 2022! ORDER NOW

Wordpress can handle all of the requirements you mentioned. It is also good for those with little to no experience.

It also scales well due to the thousands of plugins available with more being created every day.

The support is great due to a very large and supportive user community.

I love to code by hand, but WordPress has saved me many hours by simply using it instead.

Also, when recommending a CMS to any of my customers, I always advise them to check out Wordpress since its learning curve is so much lower than other CMSs (Joomla, Drupal, etc)

I use Wordpress and i really recommend it, its one of the best CMS out there. Wordpress can handle all of the things you asked.
    Regards

Thanks for the info. I looked at Drupal and Joomla, they certainly look a bit more challenging or are they?

For a first timer using a cms it's very confusing when I generally put together multiple static html pages!

Yes yes yes and yes.

Drupal and Joomla are nice but usually overkill. They don't have the third party ecosystem that WP has, or even close. Stick with WordPress.

1. Can multiple users edit the content?

Yes, you can add new users and even assign them roles to limit what areas they can access.

2. Can I insert my own html and php scripts into the content, and/or edit the framework of a theme such as the css?

The content can be edited with either a WYSIWYG or HTML editor. I don't believe by default you can insert PHP scripts, but the great thing about Wordpress is the nearly endless amount of plugins that can modify or add just about any function you need.

3. Can it handle small to medium sites, pages upward of 50 to 80?

I have clients that have 2,000 pages or more and I don't see a performance issues.

4. Easy to use for others who have zero experience of how a web page works, ie just simply inserting text content and pics?

Absolutely, the WYSIWYG editor allows folks without any HTML experience to easily format content along with adding post images.

When I worked for a development firm, I built two Wordpress sites a day and was always impressed with not only how easy it was to develop with, but how clients adapted so quickly to the platform.

9. Wordpress is great

Quote Originally Posted by maritimesbob View Post
    From looking around Google, it appears Wordpress might be a good idea for someone who has little idea about using a CMS.

I am quite happy putting together css and xhtml pages, but I want the option of other folks to be able to edit my future site. CMS appears the way to go.

I have never used Wordpress before, I have a few questions for those who use it as a CMS.

Can I insert my own html and php scripts into the content, and/or edit the framework of a theme such as the css?
    Easy to use for others who have zero experience of how a web page works, ie just simply inserting text content and pics?

Thank you.
    Wordpress is great. You can do everything you mentioned and it's easier to use than any other CMS I have tried.

There are over 24,000 plugins for Wordpress, many of which are free and can add a lot of functionality to your site should you need it.

Creating themes is not too difficult at all if you already know HTML and CSS and you can find lots of great tutorials (including videos) on how to create a WP theme.

Just make sure you keep up with the WP update releases. I usually recommend waiting a week or so before updating though because once in a while an update creates a problem and within a week that will be known and usually fixed.

Keeping up with the WP (and any plugins you use) updates helps to prevent your site from being hacked. WP is used on millions of sites so is targeted by a lot of hackers. Keeping your WP installation up to date will lessen the changes of you getting hacked.

Good luck!

Three of my biggest tips for using WP.

1. Use as few Plugins as possible. While it is a great program and widely expandable, the way it handles data is not the most efficient. There are tons of good plugins, and there are tons of ones not written well at all, yet are still popular. Also the more plugins you have, the more bloated the code gets.

2. Again because of data use, do use some type of Caching plugin, which will reduce the calls to the database and increase page load (in terms of the actual HTML). As an example, a site I maintain with the caching system I have in place generates the HTML it sends out 350 times faster than letting WP generate it from scratch. Even with caching, I have seen a site that runs so many plugins, it still takes a whopping .9 seconds and 190 database queries to generate the code!!!

3. MOST IMPORTANT: Find a good guide for securing your WP install, remove plugins/themes that are not used (don't just deactivate), and once a month, if not once a week, log into the admin and apply ALL UPDATES. Old versions are a huge cause of exploits letting people do all kinds of fun thing one your site, and it isn't always visible to you you have been hacked, they'd rather you not find out once they have a nice site to feed up phishing sites and for sending out thousands of spam messages.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

WordPress is a great and a rock solid CMS platform as well. It should definitely meet and most likely exceed your requirements.

There's three things you need to do when you start using WordPress.
    1. Secure it
    2. Secure it some more
    3. Make sure it's secure

I can't count how many people I've seen just install WordPress somewhere. Never lock it down, and never update anything. Then wonder why it was hacked...

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

Thank you.
    A big yes for your quires

Thank you.

More than this word press can do but only one thing keep in mind always update the word press to latest version for better security
    Element 8 - Web design & development company in dubai

Thanks for the info. Wordpress it is.

Can anyone offer some tips to understanding how a cms works, how to use it for someone who is used to putting together static html pages?

I installed Wordpress on XAMPP, just starting playing with it for a few minutes. Initially confused that the "homepage" is actually a blog. I could not find where to edit the header menu in the default template. I guess I better get reading.

Where can I find the best guide for using Wordpress as a website cms?

All these things, widgets etc will take some understanding. I know what an Android widget is!!!

Hello again,

I have searched high and low at templates and themes, nothing is quite what I am looking for.

I am trying to find a portal style of theme for Wordpress, similar to Luka's offering here

http://www.solucija.com/template/internet-services

Doesn't have to be the same colour scheme or indeed exactly the same, but I like the columns and where the various divs are located. It would be ideal for the content I wish to use.

Looked through Themeforest as I have always like their themes but could not find anything, half of the theme live demos are not working anyway (page cannot be displayed!)

I highly recommend Theme Forest for nice WP themes.
    http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

Wordpress is quite easy to use and awesome for developing the websites. I learned the basic within hours. Well firstly, use a good premium template with the inbuilt Admin Panel. It would help you get things done smoothly. I would suggest that you choose any one of these:
    Code:
    http://www.yootheme.com/
    http://www.woothemes.com/
    https://www.elegantthemes.com/
    http://www.themeforest.net/
    After that use some good tutorials for wordpress. I did a quick google search and found these tutorials (hoping they are good :p )
    Code:
    http://learn.wordpress.com/
    http://ithemes.com/2009/12/16/learn-basics-of-wordpress-free-tutorial-video/
    http://speckyboy.com/2008/11/17/100-wordpress-video-tutorials-from-basic-to-advanced/
    Edit: http://learn.wordpress.com is basically a tutorial for the website wordpress.com. Maybe it wont help much since you maybe installing wordpress on your own server. But it does help you in understanding the basics of how wordpress works.
    Last edited by Shinjiru Technology; 02-19-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Other than making it secure, more secure and making sure it's secure, once it's developed you want to run the site through gtmetrix. Wordpress can be a lot of fun and there are so many plugins you can install to personalize the site, but make sure you are optimizing it for visitors too.

Quote Originally Posted by TwineDev View Post
    Three of my biggest tips for using WP.

1. Use as few Plugins as possible. While it is a great program and widely expandable, the way it handles data is not the most efficient. There are tons of good plugins, and there are tons of ones not written well at all, yet are still popular. Also the more plugins you have, the more bloated the code gets.

2. Again because of data use, do use some type of Caching plugin, which will reduce the calls to the database and increase page load (in terms of the actual HTML). As an example, a site I maintain with the caching system I have in place generates the HTML it sends out 350 times faster than letting WP generate it from scratch. Even with caching, I have seen a site that runs so many plugins, it still takes a whopping .9 seconds and 190 database queries to generate the code!!!

3. MOST IMPORTANT: Find a good guide for securing your WP install, remove plugins/themes that are not used (don't just deactivate), and once a month, if not once a week, log into the admin and apply ALL UPDATES. Old versions are a huge cause of exploits letting people do all kinds of fun thing one your site, and it isn't always visible to you you have been hacked, they'd rather you not find out once they have a nice site to feed up phishing sites and for sending out thousands of spam messages.
    Can you go over how to enable caching in wordpress? My site is extremely slow. It took 6sec + for just to slow a test wordpress page.

Quote Originally Posted by stagius24 View Post
    Can you go over how to enable caching in wordpress? My site is extremely slow. It took 6sec + for just to slow a test wordpress page.
    WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache are the most popular plugins for caching. Go to Plugins --> Add New and enter "cache" in the search box to find and install them.

When adding any plugin (and do try to keep them to a minimum) always check details to see if it's compatible with the version of WP you're running. Better still look them up on http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins first to see other user reviews and experiences.

On another note, lots of images on a page and a poorly coded theme can also increase page load times.

I use wordpress and it's the best script that I have ever used it's really easy to work with and has amazing themes and plugins. Many websites use the software because there are templates for every type of website that you wish to create, I've used other scripts but none of them please me.

I go with wordpress because it's easy to manage and has many plugin and themes to use.

Since everybody is talking about Wordpress here I want to add a question as well

Is Wordpress suitable for a webhosting website?

Yes, WP is suitable for a web hosting site. I believe there are themes available specifically tailored to the needs of a hosting provider site.

yes lots of people use WP for their hosting website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast