How long do checks last?

I found a check (from work) that I apparently never cashed... from seven months ago.

I'd always thought the limit was six months, but some are telling me it's a year.

And if the limit is only 6 months... Will ADP (the huge payroll company) re-issue the check if I call?

Normally checks will say what date they are good thru. I have deposited a check that was a year old once. Did not cause a problem. Might depend on your local laws as well.

-Dustin

More than likely, if you deposit it or cash it it will be fine. My bank recently honored a check that I wrote several years ago ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

From what I have seen from my checks it is a year. Though it can change I am sure from place to place.

Payroll Checks are good for 90 days, in most cases. Read the check and it should specify such conditions. Call payroll and check with them. You will have to mail this one back and then they reissue a new one.

You can try to deposit this one, but if it fails, it will be returned to you AND your bank will charge you a processing fee. So, check ahead of time before doing the deposit.

If a check expires, it will say so -- "must be cashed within 90 days" or some such. If a check doesn't say that, it never expires. A ten year old check from me may still be cashed, despite the fact that the name of the bank would be wrong, because the account and tracking numbers are the same. Without a specific expiration date noted, a check doesn't expire.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Read the back - it will tell you. or if your employee will re-issue you a new one might be easier to just do that

on the side isnt it spelt cheque?

or maybe thats the english way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds
    More than likely, if you deposit it or cash it it will be fine. My bank recently honored a check that I wrote several years ago ...
    Someone must've lost that check good to re-discover it years after it was written.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison
    Without a specific expiration date noted, a check doesn't expire.
    (continuing my own thought) This is because a check is essentially my promise to reimburse you for $10. Further, I would prefer everyone would hold my checks for ten years. In the interim, inflation will make it worth less for the recipient than when I wrote the check, and will have earned interest for me to boot. So why would I want my checks to expire?

Not sure of the laws in the US; however, in Canada, checks are not legal tender. Technically, even on the date they were written, the banks still don't legally have to accept them - believe it or not.

Checks written in Canada, are generally 2 years. However, keep in mind, that if this is from an employer they are legally obligated to pay you any monies owed - regardless of time frame. So if the check doesn't cash, call the old company and tell them.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

It can also depend on your bank's policies and how nice you are to the teller.

I've cashed checks even after they expired ("Only valid within 90 days") etc. I think a lot of laws override that kind of stuff and I think a lot of banks just don't care. Most banking is automated now and things like expiration and post-dating doesn't even work anymore.

Usually 6 months however some business cheques are 60 days.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Checks are usually considered "stale-dated" after 6 months from the date on the check, unless there is text on there that says something like "Must be cashed within 90 days of issue".

You can try taking it to your bank; they may cash it or they may tell you to get the check reissued.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

why do you say checks? the correct spelling is cheque.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Americans spell it 'Check' I believe.
    --

Actually, we spell it check unless we're talking about travelers' cheques. American Express Travelers' Cheques -- "don't leave home without them" -- use the anglicized spelling instead of the americanized as it's more recognizable globally.

Even then they use the word check.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison
    Actually, we spell it check unless we're talking about travelers' cheques. American Express Travelers' Cheques -- "don't leave home without them" -- use the anglicized spelling instead of the americanized as it's more recognizable globally.

Ah, have they changed that since I last used one, in 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by ServerChange
    Someone must've lost that check good to re-discover it years after it was written.
    Yah ... my mother 'lost it' because she didn't want to take my money, and my drug addicted brother found it, forged the endorsement and went on a binge ...

Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.