Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Burton Hosting still trading?

Hi,

I am based in the UK and have a dedicated server with Burton Hosting. Our server has gone down, normally I can easily get through to someone but their phones (UK and US) are dead, they just hang up. No-one is answering the support tickets, or looking at the forum. This is completely unlike them (normally can get through within 30 seconds) and I fear the worst. I have been trying since 9am UK time (5 hours). Does anyone know what's up, or have another phone number, other than those listed on their website?

thanks

jon

Jon,

Their site is still up, so I don't think they've up & left the roost. Keep trying -- best of luck!

thanks - I know some other sites hosted by them are still up but I am still worried :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    thanks - I know some other sites hosted by them are still up but I am still worried :-(
    As you should be, it's an emergency & they've left you in the dark. No matter the amount you're paying I'd definitely expect a tad more service at the very least..

Your server has been down for 5 hours and no update?

That doesn't look good.
    Checked this page?

http://www.burtonhosting.com/tel_directory.php
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Thanks - I knew I had seen that page somewhere but couldn't find it on the site, I only had the main switchboard number.

I just managed to get on to my remote reboot (very slow but it just about worked) and now the server is ok, but still no reply from Burton. I'll try calling.

jon

"This number has been disabled. Please contact your service provider."

...is the response from all the phone numbers listed there. At least my server has come back up, for now. Anyone recommend a new host?!?!?

Jon2,

Depends on the requirements, if US based suffices: steadfast.net, synhosting.com, netwisp.com

If UK based is required, can't offer much for recommendations there!

No, the phone numbers are all dead and no support ticket answer. I got the server running more by luck than anything I think.

jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    No, the phone numbers are all dead and no support ticket answer. I got the server running more by luck than anything I think.

jon
    It sounds like it's time to make some backups, pronto. If you need any assistance & some space to put them temporarily let me know.

Having their phone number dead is generally a bad, bad sign.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It sounds like it's time to make some backups, pronto. If you need any assistance & some space to put them temporarily let me know.

Having their phone number dead is generally a bad, bad sign.
    Thanks for the reminders/offers... I have a daily backup which I've downloaded so should be ok for now. I've come across the dead phone line thing before, it's rare they reappear.

Thanks all for the good advice.

jon

Any way, good that you got the server back online. If they are all still dead and support is not answering, it's not pointing to good.

5-6 hours is too much. I guess it is time to look for a new host. Got a chance to look into the offer section?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Yeah, usually when the line is dead like that it doesn't come back. Most of the time, someone else would be given the phone number. Like David said, it's a bad bad sign. Usually it means they are going down. There have been several companies that went like that. Jatol was like that, as well as another. The servers were up, but the phone lines were dead, and slowly the servers started going down and then people realized that they were in trouble.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Well... weird, I just heard from them like nothing happened. I'll find out what the issue was.

jon

OK, it sounds like a load of problems all coinciding. They were moving, hence the phone screw-up, and my support ticket went in the wrong place, and my server crashed on the wrong day. I should say this is the first time I've been less than satisfied with Burton hosting in several years, their support is normally absolutely first rate and I recommend them to anyone. They are not perfect but I will certainly be staying with them.

jon

well atleast they are back from limbo.. gotta slight scare there i bet...hehe

Not sure I can post to a thread almost two months old. I just found this thread, and have to report that I have had the same issue: over a year of great service from Burton, and since October, constant lack of responsiveness to many tickets and emails. I am in the USA and their US phones have been down for months, although they still show the same numbers on the website. So there is no way to contact them other than tickets, which get the auto reply and then nothing, or emails, which go unanswered.

A friend, who resells Burton as well as using them for multiple sites of her own, turned me on to them. She's been a real booster for them for years, and raved about their first-class service. She's now tearing her hair out with an email problem and frequent outages. She's gotten a few responses from staff saying they are working on the phone issues and they should be up soon, but they are not, and her problems continue.

Does anyone have any information about this company? I didn't just go on her recommendation, I did my homework and saw only good reviews a year and a half ago. Something has happened, and I'm hoping someone here knows what! Thank you.

If I were you I'd pick up my files and leave asap. The way you were treated and what your friend is telling you should be enough.. There are better hosts out there, and that cares that you are their client.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    If I were you I'd pick up my files and leave asap.
    Of course, you are right. It's relatively easy I suppose for me to find another company to host my sites. For my friend, it's very intimidating for her to find someone to move all her sites to along with the client sites she is hosting through Burton.

What I can't understand is why they are just refusing to answer anything. No phone working, no response to tickets, no response to emails. Even if they were going out of business, as long as the servers are up you'd think they'd respond, even if it was b.s. they tell customers.

Does anyone have any real information about this? I'll move my sites and just chalk up the money I spent to experience, but it would be great if we could find out the real story.

Quote Originally Posted by neme View Post
    Of course, you are right. It's relatively easy I suppose for me to find another company to host my sites. For my friend, it's very intimidating for her to find someone to move all her sites to along with the client sites she is hosting through Burton.
    She needs to take responsibility for her clients' sites and find them a new harbour. No matter how uncomfortable this may be...

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    She needs to take responsibility for her clients' sites and find them a new harbour.
    Yes, she's in the process of researching that now, as am I. I still haven't heard word one from them, but interestingly, my friend has finally---so far, not enough to placate her, apparently. As of today, she and her clients are still with Burton though, and all our sites are up and working, but she is still concerned; I'm further along in the "leaving" process, and have pretty much decided to make a move.

It's a shame; they were almost exceptionally responsive and helpful and reasonably priced; the decrease in service was very sudden, and still unexplained. From what I understand, the original poster is still with them; I guess my friend is not the only one who finds it difficult to leave after a lot of good service in the history. I'm a bit less forgiving, I guess .

Thanks and happy holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by neme View Post
    Yes, she's in the process of researching that now, as am I.
    <snip>
    When your clients' sites stop working and there is no response from your provider, then it should be a matter of days (at a maximum) before you are changing to a provider that will give your clients adequate uptime etc etc.

With this said; Always have a disaster plan ready - even for the smallest of businesses. Keep ajour with the market and have at least 1 or more providers that you can make a switch to whenever it is needed.

Thanks and happy holidays.
    Likewise

You all have dedicated servers or shared(virtual) hosting accounts?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Just a quick update; I started a new thread (Burton Hosting Totally Unresponsive?) a while back since this one was very old. In the interim, many more people had the identical issue---all of a sudden, no responses to emails, support tickets (other than the automated acknowledgement) or phone calls, US phones disconnected.

A number of us have finally and reluctantly moved to new hosts; my friend was first, moving her clients to protect them. What a sad situation---a previously great host that just took a very low-class route. Very unlike them, but apparently, they are alive and well, just not answering customers' communications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast