Recommendation for eastern US Xen/KVM VPS provider?

I'm currently looking for a VPS provider located in the eastern United States to host a community Minecraft server, Mumble server as well as some websites.

I am happy with my current provider (Arpnetworks) but they are located in California and a large number of our users are in Europe so the latency is a problem.

Currently my specs are: 1512MB RAM, 40 GB disk, 400 GB bandwidth, and 5 IPs for ~$45/month running KVM/QEMU virtualization and I am looking for a similar plan on the new provider for around the same price. I also need to be able to load kernel modules for VPN, firewall, FUSE, etc and to upgrade the RAM if needed.

Minecraft is very CPU and I/O instensive so the VPS will need to be able to handle it.

Also, I'm looking for recommendation from people that have actually used the company before and not just "I heard they were good."

Thanks.

6sync offers KVM servers out of NY Metro. They're a top-notch provider, however from what I recall, they don't allow any game servers. Best to check with them, though. I had a XEN VPS with them before.

Check out WebHostingBuzz - amazing guys over there. Good luck

6sync is out of my price range, $45/month is about the max I can spend.

I'll investigate WebHostingBuzz a little more tomorrow. They seem to be mainly focused on web hosting and thats not how I will be primarily using my VPS. Its mainly for Minecraft, Mumble, VPN, etc.

your budget almost on the lower side.

not too sure if hivelocity offer kvm/qmenu vps.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by lyzgeorge View Post
    ThrustVPS?
    What has your experience been with ThrustVPS? Their prices seem to be a little too good to be true. Also, their East Coast VPS seem to always be sold out when I look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by bGeorge View Post
    What has your experience been with ThrustVPS? Their prices seem to be a little too good to be true. Also, their East Coast VPS seem to always be sold out when I look at them.
    Once experience in 1 month, maybe you can have a 1 month tour with them

Quote Originally Posted by lyzgeorge View Post
    Once experience in 1 month, maybe you can have a 1 month tour with them
    I dont understand what you mean by that.

http://www.linode.com/

Get a linode. Simply the best. Don't bother with cheap OpenVZ-based 1 or 2-year old hosting companies.

Quote Originally Posted by hider View Post

Get a linode. Simply the best. Don't bother with cheap OpenVZ-based 1 or 2-year old hosting companies.
    Again, way out of my price range.

What is the maximum you'd pay for that spec? You might have a hard time getting quality for that price and spec.

Quote Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
    What is the maximum you'd pay for that spec? You might have a hard time getting quality for that price and spec.
    The max I can pay is around $40-$45.

i would have to agree with the others in that you are really under budget for those specs. You are looking for quite a bit of RAM and IPs for very little. You could get those specs from an openvz host, but as I am sure you have realized, openvz burst ram and heavy java apps don't mix well without a a lot of tweaking. KVM and Xen providers will be priced higher than OpenVZ because of the dedicated allocations that make such apps behave as expected. A customized package with those specification, I would expect to cost closer to $70 a month at a Xen/KVM host without compromising some of those requirements.
    Linology Networks,LLC - Powering Your Future, Today

Quote Originally Posted by LinologyNetworksLLC View Post
    i would have to agree with the others in that you are really under budget for those specs. You are looking for quite a bit of RAM and IPs for very little. You could get those specs from an openvz host, but as I am sure you have realized, openvz burst ram and heavy java apps don't mix well without a a lot of tweaking. KVM and Xen providers will be priced higher than OpenVZ because of the dedicated allocations that make such apps behave as expected. A customized package with those specification, I would expect to cost closer to $70 a month at a Xen/KVM host without compromising some of those requirements.
    I have found about 4 recommended providers within my price range on the west coast with the specs I need but I can't seem to find any in the east. Thats why I posted this asking if anyone had any recommendations.

I guess hosting is just cheaper there.

Rise your budget and go for a dedicated server.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

I have found about 4 recommended providers within my price range on the west coast with the specs I need but I can't seem to find any in the east. Thats why I posted this asking if anyone had any recommendations.

I guess hosting is just cheaper there.
    Good for you! It's a great deal if you did because the densities would have to be pretty high on a server to meet those numbers on Xen/KVM. Be sure to report back to the forums with your experiences and review for your chosen provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post
    Rise your budget and go for a dedicated server.
    Thats the problem, I can't afford to raise my budget. I would love to get a dedicated server but I can't afford it and the community doesn't seem to want to donate to support the server.

Thats the problem, I can't afford to raise my budget. I would love to get a dedicated server but I can't afford it and the community doesn't seem to want to donate to support the server.
    It's kinda ironic don't you think? You are forced to look for a provider to sell under fair market value, because you have a community that doesn't want to pay fair market value...in the end, you always get what you pay for I suppose. Trickle down economics at it's finest!

Quote Originally Posted by LinologyNetworksLLC View Post
    Good for you! It's a great deal if you did because the densities would have to be pretty high on a server to meet those numbers on Xen/KVM. Be sure to report back to the forums with your experiences and review for your chosen provider.
    These providers on the west coast with poor latency to users in Europe hence why I am looking for an east coast provider.

I am happy with Arpnetworks after 3 years of use with no downtime and great performance. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great provider that doesn't oversell.

I know my budget I low but some providers still manage to do it quite well. All I want are any recommendations that meet my requirements. If you don't know of any don't reply.
    Last edited by bGeorge; 01-02-2011 at 05:15 PM.