Wix is ruining web designers!

Dammit... they have cool designs and they are free!!! When I was in High School (15 years ago) we had classes to be a web designer... now everyone can be one

Makes me sad... any other designers out there feel sad about sites like Wix pushing us out of the business?

I'm not sure what you mean, Wix is archaic, and not intuitive at all. It's a very small percentage of the market, and they cater to the low end of the market, so highly skilled developers are pretty much not impacted in the slightest by wix, because its about as good as the GoDaddy site builder. All the templates are generic and similar to each other, so I'm not really sure why anyone would use it at all, as there are tons of free wordpress, joomla, drupal, and html5 templates available.

If you are using Wix, please let us know. This community would love to show you alternatives to broaden the horizons.

I've seen only a handful of Wix built sites that looked decent. Probably is fine for personal sites, but I would cringe if I saw Wix being used on a professional site.

Well, Wix is a good starter but it surely isn't running web dev's out of business... mianly because sooner or later everybody realizes that all Wix sites will look the same and there is nothing worse then having someone else use the same site as you. Even if they look the same Wix is very limited on changing things up where i wordpress it's easier to change things around.
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

I know a web designer that basically his services are setting a customer up with a WIX account and using their free site builder to create and customize their sites. I dont personally think this a fair way to go about it, any suggestions?
    Need a Website?
    Looking to expand your business to the web?
    Advertise your business on our websites!
    PM me for more details!

the difference is ... anything built on Wix ... stays on Wix.

sooner or later ... everyone realizes this ... and wish they owned their actual website.

When a few years ago I could get flyers, business cards and other material for a business designed, printed and delivered for a fraction of what some greedy wordpress think they are designers charge... putting these guys out of business is a good thing!
    Like SEO, web design is full of people that are full of it!
    We are always doing sites for clients for thousands less than others quoted... and my designers eat very well still!
    The business needs a very strong correction!
    Nexxterra.com Web Services
    MassiveServers.com
    Web Hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain Registration - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

Just to add to what has already been said, Wix really is no match for designers / developers or SEOs people who are serious about their website and business realise this sooner or later.
    Haloweb.co.za web hosting SEO and website design

When I see a Wix site, I think that the business/individual that owns the wix site is

a. not serious about having a brand identity.
    b. cheap
    c. a bit silly, because there are way better alternatives out there.
    www.wizardconcepts.com | High quality web design and development agency - India
    Drupal CMS based websites with included hosting & long term support | Awesome Value

Hello VN-Jeremy,

I wouldn't say that Wix is ruining designers' businesses. In fact, it may actually help.

There is a product for every market and Wix is designed for those who need a website NOW regardless of how basic it may be. Even many of the website builders offered by hosting companies are designed like this.

Once a person or company gets up and running cheaply, they will realize that they need x, y, and z features or their competitor is outdoing them on their site. They will then need to find a way to catch up or implement their new features. Enter the web designer...

Although many of our customers use the OTS builder we provide, many eventually become customers of our own web design team, or hire their own. Had they not had the quick site builder, they may not ever have had a web presence.

Just look at the sites built with products like Wix as a newcomer to your market. Eventually they will need something these OTS products cannot provide. Then your skills will not only be needed, but maybe even more appreciated.
    [B]Scott M

People still use webdesigners because they want something unique, something to stand out from the crowd.

The only thing is with sites like this it makes it look like web design is overpriced, when a good web designer will cost much, much more.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I don't see Wix (or the local contender Kotisivukone) as direct competition to professional web designers or site builders (such as myself). They've got certain potential customers who are often looking for quick, DIY and inexpensive service, are just starting their company, and/or have very modest needs. I actually find it inspiring that there are services almost anyone can use.

If the budget is smaller than the usual yearly hosting fee, there's no change for me to have them as clients. And that's fine.

Nowadays everyone has to have web pages. Once you go beyond certain level, you're going to need professional services. So in my opinion these services are indirectly feeding the business by exposing people to site building, and creating more website owners.

I agree to an extent, but I think they lower the expectations of price. They think if they can get this cool design for X dollars, why are you charging XXX or XXXX dollars. Many don't realize the difference of what these providers provide by way of a mass-produced template and what a web designer provides in an original design. The price jump is too great for most to cross and I think it sets false expectations.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by hD-Scott View Post
    I agree to an extent, but I think they lower the expectations of price.
    Wix and cheap templates are not the only thing we could blame.
    - There's always someone who cuts prices to a level that's very low or even unmaintainable. Hire-a-freelancer websites make it visible.
    - Many content management systems are free, and have tons of free layouts available.
    - Websites have become a commodity. Basic websites are nothing special.

I don't see the lowering expectations as much of a problem, but it could be due to the fact that the culture in Finland is different. People in general, and business owners especially, don't expect anyone to work for free. It's also possible that I've been fortunate enough to deal with real companies and entrepreneurs, and not just tire kickers.
    Last edited by nettiapina; 04-28-2013 at 06:21 AM.

What about peoples that hire 'web designers' that actually use a web bulider/flash bulider like Wix? The businessmans have no clue how Internet works,they just want a website for their business.

I prefer Wrapbootstrap (it is not is for free but $5-$15 for a webtemplate is a steal.

Oh, wait, some Wix templates has an "ecommerce" price that it is about activation (?) and yearly payments (?).
    Last edited by Southprojects; 05-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.

I don't think at all. Wix is not even comparable to a professional custom design provided by professional web designers.

Wow... what a discussion!

I just meant that there are a lot of people in this economy right now that will go for "free" (myself included) over hiring someone to do the job... even if it doesn't cost that much in the first place. Wix takes away (and other sites like Wix) the opportunity to make a few hundred dollars on simple sites to people that I think would otherwise pay someone for a site.

But hey... I still like doing sites in flash! so what do I know!?
    Jeremy Durham
    Director of Customer Relations
    Virpus Networks, Inc. www.virpus.com

The importance of a web site varies from customer to customer nowadays. Some are just as happy using Facebook as their business site. You would think they'd care to have something more professional-looking, but to many it's just an added cost for a service they can get for free.
    Wix and all other similar sites are just the continued commoditization of design and hosting (like many other industries).
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions