Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Troy and Aaron told that they are ready and answer any question in cPanel forum. But they keep silence.
    I told this in their forum and i am telling here as well.

It should be OFF by default.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperscope View Post
    Troy and Aaron told that they are ready and answer any question in cPanel forum. But they keep silence.
    I told this in their forum and i am telling here as well.

It should be OFF by default.
    i read the whole thread the other day, the answers consisted of "ATTRACTA IS SUPER MAGIC IT WILL WORK WITHOUT PROBLEMS WHO NEEDS PRIVACY POLICIES THIS IS NO PROBLEM WHO CARES ABOUT DATA PROTECTION LAWS THERE IS AN INTERSTITIAL" and comical marketing crap

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    i read the whole thread the other day, the answers consisted of "ATTRACTA IS SUPER MAGIC IT WILL WORK WITHOUT PROBLEMS WHO NEEDS PRIVACY POLICIES THIS IS NO PROBLEM WHO CARES ABOUT DATA PROTECTION LAWS THERE IS AN INTERSTITIAL" and comical marketing crap
    +1 and they never answered the questions from hosts who already offer in-house SEO solutions
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Either way what ever people object to cPanel will only do as they please, Just let them get on with it and stop the stir...

Quote Originally Posted by xeno007 View Post
    I love addons.
    Me, too! --- but only when they're good/useful.
    But Attracta is about as useful as pre-used toilet paper.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's the most half-baked crap "SEO" service I've seen in years. It reminds me of the kind of garbage I saw in 2005. Even current spammy Indian "SEO" is better than some of the nonsense I saw in the Attacta "tools" (if you can even call them that).

This whole page of "How It Works" -- attracta.com/how-it-works.jsp -- is essentially saying "We make XML sitemaps! We're the smartest, S-M-R-T!"

Unless you're running some ancient horrible site, most CMS have built-in XML or XML mods/plugins readily available. That anybody would consider this service useful is almost surreal, as far as I'm concerned.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Create file:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/postupcp

Place:
    #!/bin/sh
    perl /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Attracta/Scripts/remove_apache_module.pl
    perl /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Attracta/Scripts/remove_attracta_cron.cgi
    perl /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Attracta/Scripts/remove_apache_module.pl
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/Attracta
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Attracta
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/Attracta/
    rm -f /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/addon_attracta.cgi
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/Attracta/
    rm -f /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/dynamicui/dynamicui_attracta_*
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_sprites >/dev/null 2>&1
    rm -f /usr/local/cpanel/hooks/rvskinindex/showTable
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/register_hooks >/dev/null 2>&1

save it.

chmod +x /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/postupcp
    This will make sure its good and removed after every upcp.
    Ref: http://cdn.attracta.com/static/downl..._attracta.bash
    Last edited by Steven; 03-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    This will make sure its good and removed after every upcp.
    Great!!! That's what I wanted. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Only a complete moron would put a server live without configuring it first, and one of the things you'd do at that stage is turn off the mountain of extraneous junk that any application/control-panel/whatever installs/enables.

"clever" admins will 'rewrite' the optionswith something else and do their own upselling
    Rob,

I totally agree. We looked becoming an Attracta partner before. It wasn't for us. Now those clients who do want to use it, do have that option. For those who don't want to use it, cPanel makes it really easy to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Disgraceful way to behave.
    As I said in their thread, absolutely correct.
    It's amazing how thoughtless they've become. This has nothing to do with server automation, which is what their whole product is about. Someone, somewhere paid cPanel a LOT of money for this inclusion. I don't care what they say about not being paid, that's about as easy to believe as bear being a real, live, bear.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    For those who don't want to use it, cPanel makes it really easy to turn off.
    Yes, but how many clients will this interrupt? How much money will cPanel cost their own clients before this is realized?
    The point is that this is not cPanel's job or responsibility, and they WILL eventually end up stepping on the wrong toes here. What, you don't think that this won't compete with their clients? A good few of them I'm sure, offer their OWN SEO services. Now, because they don't know this is included (really, who visits cPanel's forums frequently and reads the announcements frequently??), and opted in by default, these people just cost their client more money. Talk about a load of BS
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    that's about as easy to believe as bear being a real, live, bear.
    Now you're just being mean.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I created a response for the thread on the cPanel forum, but I'm afraid it may have fallen into a moderation black hole (the thread is set to display approved responses only). It's also possible it's taking some time to be handled, but I think this needs mentioning, as the launch date is fast approaching.

Here's the response I hope will be posted on cPanel so someone can respond to it, and hopefully put my mind at ease (I'm extremely uneasy about this):

Response to: http://forums.cpanel.net/f133/attrac...-q-264422.html

It has been years since I've logged into my [cPanel forums] account, but I could not pass this thread without commenting on it.

I've read about half of the thread, and skimmed through the rest, so my apologies if I copy someone else's sentiments.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. At some point in the next few weeks, all cPanel servers will receive an update that pushes the Attracta toolset into the control panel, at which point it becomes the responsibility of either the server administrator or each individual reseller to disable this service if they do not want it, assuming resellers will have the ability to disable it.

Does cPanel realize a significant number of clients who use their products are involved either directly or indirectly with Web marketing?

You are enabling, by default, tools that are meant to create a business relationship between a host's customers and a third party company who may very well be a competitor of the host or a reseller who uses the host to maintain his or her clients.

If the reseller doesn't sit on top of the panel every day and get this service disabled right away (again, assuming they have permissions to do so), they run the risk of losing portions of what might be their core business.

A brick-and-mortar analogy: this would be like a Coca-Cola distributor pasting advertisements all over the inside of a Target store telling people to go buy Coke at Walmart. That distributor would never be allowed back onto the premises, most likely by court order!

It doesn't matter that the service isn't on by default; another company's services are being marketed against the cPanel end-users provider by default. That's just mean!

I'm sorry Aaron, but from what I've read up to this point both here and on WHT, this sounds not just like a bad idea, it sounds like a harmful business philosophy is forming right before our eyes. I'm reviewing this whole idea in my head, and I'm actually having an "I thought I knew cPanel" moment. I know a lot of you on first-name basis and I'm having a hard time reconciling that you guys sat down, talked it over and decided this was the appropriate way to launch this new set of services. I can think of many companies that would do something mean or potentially harmful like this, but not cPanel...that's not the cPanel I know.

If I'm missing something here, please correct me or fill me in. But I'm stunned, truly.

As others have said, this seems like a bad idea. Parallels have been spamming their products with ads for their own services for years, but with Plesk Panel 10 things got really bad. This was one (of many) reasons we decided not to offer Plesk Panel for our VPS customers. Instead we've been selling a lot of cPanel licenses.

The fact that cPanel seems to stick to the decision to make this "feature" be enabled by default, completely ignoring the feedback from their customers, certainly is an eye-opener. I believe that both cPanel and Attracta's reputation is hurt by the way they're forcing this on customers. It doesn't matter that it can be disabled, it just shouldn't be enabled in the first place. Of course, we could always remove it from all our own cPanel installations (but why should we spend time doing this, really?), but how about our VPS customers with cPanel licenses? And one thing is for sure, we won't put any effort AT ALL into supporting this. In fact, we should all direct ANY customers asking for support to cPanel, regardless of the fact that cPanel says Attracta will be supporting it. After all, most of us have no agreement with Attracta. Most of us won't become Attracta partners or customers. I for one don't want my customers to become Attracta customers either.

On the upside, with both Parallels and cPanel making an effort to annoy their customers, there should now be room for other CP developers to build a customer base and make enough money on their products to support development of a solid alternative to Plesk and cPanel. I haven't tried all the other CPs out there, but some of the ones I have tried are "almost there". I'm already considering other alternatives for our VPS customers, most of which base their purchases solely on our recommendations.

Ever heard of direct admin? Ispconfig?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    I created a response for the thread on the cPanel forum, but I'm afraid it may have fallen into a moderation black hole (the thread is set to display approved responses only). It's also possible it's taking some time to be handled, but I think this needs mentioning, as the launch date is fast approaching.

Here's the response I hope will be posted on cPanel so someone can respond to it, and hopefully put my mind at ease (I'm extremely uneasy about this):

Response to: http://forums.cpanel.net/f133/attrac...-q-264422.html

It has been years since I've logged into my [cPanel forums] account, but I could not pass this thread without commenting on it.

I've read about half of the thread, and skimmed through the rest, so my apologies if I copy someone else's sentiments.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. At some point in the next few weeks, all cPanel servers will receive an update that pushes the Attracta toolset into the control panel, at which point it becomes the responsibility of either the server administrator or each individual reseller to disable this service if they do not want it, assuming resellers will have the ability to disable it.

Does cPanel realize a significant number of clients who use their products are involved either directly or indirectly with Web marketing?

You are enabling, by default, tools that are meant to create a business relationship between a host's customers and a third party company who may very well be a competitor of the host or a reseller who uses the host to maintain his or her clients.

If the reseller doesn't sit on top of the panel every day and get this service disabled right away (again, assuming they have permissions to do so), they run the risk of losing portions of what might be their core business.

A brick-and-mortar analogy: this would be like a Coca-Cola distributor pasting advertisements all over the inside of a Target store telling people to go buy Coke at Walmart. That distributor would never be allowed back onto the premises, most likely by court order!

It doesn't matter that the service isn't on by default; another company's services are being marketed against the cPanel end-users provider by default. That's just mean!

I'm sorry Aaron, but from what I've read up to this point both here and on WHT, this sounds not just like a bad idea, it sounds like a harmful business philosophy is forming right before our eyes. I'm reviewing this whole idea in my head, and I'm actually having an "I thought I knew cPanel" moment. I know a lot of you on first-name basis and I'm having a hard time reconciling that you guys sat down, talked it over and decided this was the appropriate way to launch this new set of services. I can think of many companies that would do something mean or potentially harmful like this, but not cPanel...that's not the cPanel I know.

If I'm missing something here, please correct me or fill me in. But I'm stunned, truly.

ISPConfig is great and free.

I assume their paid version is awesome with commercial support.

And my guess is they would never pull such crap out like Plesk and cPanel is doing. Usually only bigger companies try to push this on the face of customers because they think they are just to big for people to have an alternative.

Time to move on. cPanel has been the control panel leader for to long, it was a matter of time before they decided to copycat Plesk in their bad decisions.

And personally I don´t believe a single word when cPanel says they are not in financial troubles. Only a company that is going bankrupt would decide to take decisions that just hurt their brand and company for a few bucks.

Attracta service brings nothing of value, not to end clients, not to cPanel customers, people that tried said the same thing over and over again after testing it that they saw little value on it.

So, I suggest people to start looking for alternatives. Ones that that only install adware without permission on your servers.

cPanel should be paying their clients to install this, as its advertising and business for Attracta. And it seems we are paying cPanel for this instead.

The whole cPanel license price is worth 5$ now with this. cPanel should start offering their control panel for free if they will start to bundle adware on their software.

After thinking about it, there is no point in developing a script to disable this. Because honestly guys, today is Attracta, there are going to come allot more third party bundles after this. I don´t plan to create a script to avoid or uninstall this on each new adware cPanel sends on their updates. The solution is just to change to a company with more business ethics and morals.

Im sure people will get around this, possible even offering cPanel server updates that only send updates without adware, and people would start hacking their cPanel to get their updates from this alternative servers which don´t push this malware out instead of cPanel official update servers. There are ways to avoid this, but on the end, why would you keep paying a company that threats their customers like this. The competition this days is just amazing, and there are allow of alternatives. cPanel lacks features, and they have more than enough ideas from their suggested features on their forum and from the feedback from thousands of customers. So its amazing they decided to go with this fast affiliate payouts instead of investing on development.

First they partnership with Cloud Linux, even selling it directly on their website, as a cPanel product. Now its Attracta. Whats next? Hostgator banner ads on our control panels?

At least I will not sit here and wait what is coming in the following months and years, because its surely not good into where they are moving their product and company.

Honestly I think they want to test the waters and see if they get enough money with this kind of Affiliate stuff and possible will make cPanel free like Enkompass which already is. Then it they will truly go downhill. Nothing is worst than a commercial product which started as one and people paid for its value becoming a cheap freebie lacking quality.

So I will start with great options and alternatives:
    http://www.ispconfig.org/
    http://www.directadmin.com/
    http://hostingcontroller.com/

First free. Second, allot of people like vs cPanel and Plesk. Third looks amazing in features. They seem to have vision, where cPanel lacks.

Ever heard of direct admin? Ispconfig?
    Yes, and we will evaluate our options. But it's not just about us - it's about the clients, and they like cPanel. So it's not an easy decision to take something away from clients that they like! That's just as bad as giving them something they may not like.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    First they partnership with Cloud Linux, even selling it directly on their website, as a cPanel product. Now its Attracta. Whats next? Hostgator banner ads on our control panels?
    CL was a good, reasonable partnership for them. This isn't any violation of trust, this doesn't have any possibility to take money from their clients, and it can only be a positive thing.

Attracta, just the opposite. MANY of cPanel's clients run not only development, but SEO companies, and SELL those services to their clients. Of course, by doing this, cPanel has taken money from their own clients.

The difference here is night and day. CL is reasonable, it fits right in with what cPanel SHOULD be doing, and that is focusing on server automation, customer accounts, keeping servers running. Attracta doesn't even fit the bill, in any way.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Yes, and we will evaluate our options. But it's not just about us - it's about the clients, and they like cPanel. So it's not an easy decision to take something away from clients that they like! That's just as bad as giving them something they may not like.
    In my experience, almost none of our customers (and we have thousands) care about what CP we offer. We have received a lot of positive feedback from our Plesk 9 users who like the design and the logic behind the CP. I can't remember receiving a single positive feedback from our cPanel users. Not from Plesk 10 users either, but to be fair - we don't have a lot of them, since we try to avoid using Plesk after some horrid experiences with their support staff.

For VPS subscribers, most of them go with whatever we suggest, and up until now that has been cPanel. If we decide to push another CP instead, I am quite convinced we won't be losing a single sale due to this. Perhaps this varies depending on where you're located and what type of customers you target, but for our part, switching from cPanel only means that we would have to spend some time learning the new CP so we can offer decent support for it.

Don´t worry, customers will start to dislike it with time, once they start to see all kind of ads and other useless icons and services over other providers.

The reason most people like cPanel is because they don´t know anything else either and because cPanel always had nice features for clients in terms of hosting controlling. When was the last time cPanel actually added a new icon, section or feature on the customer side? Along time. And mean server side stuff, not something like Attracta which I don´t consider a feature but a third party affiliate program.

I can also second what UENO said. Users do like Plesk interface, its mostly admins that don´t like Plesk, WHM is very good, for end clients Plesk is actually nicer, all languages are correctly translated, and the looks is nice. Plesk lacks features, and is more buggy, and admins like cPanel mostly because of this. Users actually don´t really care to much. In the case of VPS or servers they usually go with what the host supports, so if you tell them I give support for XX but not for ZZ, they will go with XX, even if they like ZZ more. They usually do what providers says. Its not like some years ago where people asked "Do you have cPanel?" or "Do you have cPanel hosting?".

I cannot remember when was the last time I read that. Its not about Attracta, is about decisions. If they pull of this with success, nothing stops them to start deploying more and more of this stuff.

The correct thing would be have a marketplace, where administrators can select by choose which addons they want to install. Third party stuff like this which is not build and developed by cPanel should never be send with cPanel updates. Its not their software, its not their service, and I see this as highly immoral for hosting companies offering similar services. Companies offering VPS or servers, will not be able to disable this on their customers servers, and this will render their own SEO tools or SEO services as a second option.

Just think about it. If your company ever wanted to offer SEO tools or services, your own or from a third party, now cPanel is actually competing against you. In shared hosting you can disable this, after it was already pushed and installed. But on your VPS customers and servers? No answer. cPanel and Attracta failed on purpose to respond this and many other questions on their own forums. Not only that. Instead of responding them they push Attracta marketing as cPanel customers would have an IQ of 50 and would be brain washed like that.

There is no other choice but to start looking alternatives because other companies will see this as a way to make profit and if they did it with Attracta they will approach cPanel to bundle their own product as well.

Cloud Linux was just an example, and of course that is completely different. It was just an example on how they are pushing third party products instead of developing their own features. It seems cPanel is a marketing company now and not a software developer company. Cloud Linux is optional at least and its the only product that does this in the market and it brings benefits for hosting companies. Attracta is of course nothing like that, it brings more work, more problems, more support and billing burdens, and dishonest competition in SEO services. Hey, if it was Google Webmaster tools they where bundling at least I would say sure, everyone uses it and its welcome, but not something like this which try to sell you free scripts available on the internet for a monthly fees, which are higher than what most people sell their own hosting plans. An addon that is more expensive than your own hosting plan is just way stupid.
    Last edited by nibb; 03-31-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Sure, if you happen to be in the list:
    http://www.attracta.com/partner.jsp

Do you think they will put every single host in the planet there? Guess again. Only the big boys are going to be keep in the top. And that is one of the link your customers will go (or can) from inside your cPanel.

I don´t have anything against their service. But I do that they want to force this as default on new installs. cPanel is licensed software, we pay for it, its not a freebie. Whats next? Banners ads inside our control panel? This is nothing more than an affiliated service, you don´t control anything about this addon at all. Its even wrong to call it an addon because nothing is installed in your server, except some API calls and stuff that redirects to their servers.
    CloudFlare add every host who offer their services.

I can't wait for this addon, simply because it will benefit my customers who want to get out there on google, etc. I never heard of Attracta until now.

Quote Originally Posted by ************ View Post
    CloudFlare add every host who offer their services.

I can't wait for this addon, simply because it will benefit my customers who want to get out there on google, etc. I never heard of Attracta until now.
    You don´t need Attracta for getting into Google.

The site on my firm is new and it was indexed and displayed in Google results after 24 hours. All I did was submit it on Google Webmaster tools. What do you think Attracta does? The same.

There are no mysteries in SEO services.

If you like some addons to you Apache server which basically scans every single file and page in your servers and sends them to Attracta then fine. At least Google does this externally, then only see what visitors see. Attracta does this internally, they actually have access to your files.

Such service is completely off limits if you even consider privacy terms rights for your customers. Offering this you should make it very clear to customers that data is send to a third party and that you are no longer responsible for their data.

This is not something you can control. If Attracta gets hacked, they will have a backdoor to your server. If your client has billing issues with them, they will contact you and probably you will lose the client, not only them. Not to mention your client will be advertised with "other" hosting companies on Attracta web pages.

This will bring more customers to bigger hosts, and kill the smaller ones, as they whole idea is to send them to Attracta partners. If you study customers behaviour, its a matter of a few clicks right from inside your cPanel to land on their partners page with the bigger hosts in the top.

Also, not every hosts offers CloudFare, that is not true. Some do, some support it but don´t offer it directly and actually everyone can sign up, just like with Attracta, you don´t need a hosts to offer it to use it. In the case of CloudFare the hosts just needs to install their mod so you can get the real IPs in the server, but nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with this services, but they should never be promoted as something they are not. In this case as a cPanel default product which is not true, its not developed or offered by cPanel.

Most cPanel end users, are people that know nothing about what cPanel, Attracta, etc is. They don´t care either. This means they will think Attracta is cPanel and the other way around, this makes a very bad impression on hosters not offering it trying now to explain that Attracta is a third party addon. Try to explain a customers when he insist it comes with cPanel and you are not offering. So your cPanel offers are rendered with less features.
    Last edited by nibb; 03-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Hosting is hosting, SEO is SEO. If you are a hosting provider you probably [or at least the majority] will like to provide their users a way for better SEO . Look at the partner list on attracta. The best web hosting companies are listed. The more tools you offer your customers, the better. I do like this addon.

How many hosting providers do you think that offer specialized SEO services? ... not a lot, the minority. Hosting is hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    Hosting is hosting, SEO is SEO. If you are a hosting provider you probably [or at least the majority] will like to provide their users a way for better SEO . Look at the partner list on attracta. The best web hosting companies are listed. The more tools you offer your customers, the better. I do like this addon.

How many hosting providers do you think that offer specialized SEO services? ... not a lot, the minority. Hosting is hosting.
    First of all, it should not be enabled by default. Secondly, if I wanted to offer my customers SEO services, Attracta would not be my number one choice. The way I see it, Attracta adds nothing of real value to my customers. And even if they did, I should have the option to decide if I want to push this on my customers or not. As others have mentioned, cPanel should be focusing on adding stuff that their customers have actually asked for, instead of forcing this on all of us. The fact that it would be automatically enabled is just stupid.

No matter if you want this addon or not, this proves in so many ways that cPanel does not care about their customers. Customer requests for added functionality is ignored. Instead they add something nobody has really asked for, that almost nobody want, and they even decide to enable it by default. They have to be really desperate to do something so stupid.

So then its ok to screw them because they are minority?

The list of Partners on Attracta are mainly big hosts and budget offers, they target massive customers, selling cheap and budget plans. They would care less about what comes in their cPanel for their customers, this companies usually will not offer personalized services like SEO or other services. They don´t have time and they are not focused on specific services. They want to milk as much money from every customers, and if Attracta provides that regardless if the service works or not, they will welcome it because it leaves them more profits. They try to get as many customers as possible, as fast as possible with as less work as possible, so anything automated that milks more money is a nice addon. They usually don´t care if their customers have a problem with this services as they will not support them either, just send them to Attracta forums or try the attitude "its not our service, we are not responsible". A company should never offer something they are not willing to support in the first place.

The reason the hosting industry is so big, is because there are many different types of services. Usually hosting companies that make money do bundle something with their plans and some of them might be SEO services, others webdesign, etc.

So your point is that hosting companies that also offer lets say web design are also minority and by your logic it would ok to add a web design services bundled into cPanel as well.

If I go by your logic, how many hosters actually own their hardware? Minority as well, not everyone is in colo, so why not offer their clients inside cPanel also to buy their own servers? And how many companies are also ICANN registrars? Again, almost none, mostly are resellers, so since again they are minority it would be ok for cPanel to offer bundled domain registration inside cPanel?

What you said is because its a minority its ok to cut them out. So why not do the same with domains then? Hey, domain registrations are even more related to hosting plans than SEO. So why not !

Maybe we should start cutting almost all services hosting companies offer to the point they don´t have anything left to offer anymore so instead of installing cPanel just put a link with an affiliate code when your clients sign up so a third party company delivers them the service.

It usually starts this way and what makes you think bundled domain registration, or sitebuilders, or web tools or any other services will not come in the future as well? All from third parties services, since companies offering this are minority I suppose its ok in your business view.

Also what do you exactly like about the addon? Their free is not better than a free PHP script hosters can install on their clients account or services to deliver the same. There are freebie scripts that do more than their paid services !!!

All they did was market some very dumb services nobody needs and most people don´t even care. Only newbies would fall for this. Just look at their main core features "We create a XML sitemap"

That is the single and most brilliant developed technology SEO has ever saw. And they they even told you its limited to the page numbers? So its not actually free for bigger sites, like forums, etc.

There is a reason why their website only lists that as a feature, because thats it. Nothing more. You know how many XML sitemap generators are on the Internet? Like 100,000 websites offer this for free, and allot more other SEO tools. Just search in Google.

How can anyone think this is worth so much to even pay for it. Its seems most hosting companies that promote this must be 12 year old kids or persons that really don´t know anything else besides click and point. Sure, your customers would love it, but I would not offer something to my customers I don´t use myself. If I see no value, my customers will not see any value either.

So think about it. How many of you that said they think Attracta is a nice addon are actually using it live for their website right now? None. All I read is I think its nice, or I think it will bring value, never, I use it myself in my hosting company XX, and its great. Because they don´t like a third party scanning their own web pages, but then they will offer this to their clients !!!

Also, nobody is discussing here the offer. We are discussing the point its installed by default even if we don´t like it.
    Last edited by nibb; 03-31-2012 at 11:00 PM.

You also must like all the bloatware that comes with new laptops\computers. How many toolbars do you have installed? The more toolbars you have the better!

From reading the cPanel forums and WHT, the general consensus is that people don't care if cPanel supports addons. The problem is them enabling it by default, which I agree is completely unethical. If the software is so great users would choose to enable it, they obviously know it's not by choosing to force everyone to have it on.

Personally I would have tried Attracta myself as we have hundreds of thousands of free hosting cPanel users and it would probably be a good upsell. However due to the fact cPanel\Attracta thinks they know what is best for my customers I have shut off auto updates and will immediately disable Attracta when it does come time to update. By using shady business practices Attracta has now lost all my trust before they even gave me a chance to give it. While moving from cPanel is not really an option they've definitely been knocked down a few notches in my eyes - not that it matters to them by their response to the users on their forums thus far.
    Corey Arbogast | CEO
    █ 888-X10-9668, x703 - corey[@]x10hosting.com

Sooner or later, we will have another thread with "Reasons why cPanel sucks" :-)

There is for plesk already.

Anyway, all these posts here and there is nothing for cPanel until they will see more users canceling cPanel license.

Today, they boast! Tomorrow, they beg! They'll see.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast