Question

I know this is the general hosting forum.. but so many more people post here... Plus I know some webhosts are in this forum. Ok I found this deal at www.webdevstudio.com :-

This is an exact quote:-

Server Co-location
    performance | plans | colocation | admin |
    domain reg. | reseller | user policy |

Features lite medium pro enterprise
    Monthly Cost $299 $549 $949 $1399
    One time setup fee $150 $150 $150 $150
    Data transfer (GB/mo.) 100 200 500 3000
    10Mbps Shared Port
    Servers Permitted 1 1 2 3
    IP Addresses 128 253 253 253
    Full OC3 Backbone
    Cisco 7513 Router

Temperature Controlled
    UPS Available
    Free Tape Rotation
    2-Day Setup Time

Terms:
    12 Month Contract
    24 month contract option also available. Price negotiable.

* all prices in US Dollars.

basically you can get a Full OC3 with a 3000 gig transfer for only 1400 ? Just a month ago I asked webhosts how much for a dedicated T1 and they said it would be 1200, and the max bandwidth you'll get w/ t1 is 500 gigs... well this is 3000 gigs and it costs only 200 dollars more. Not to mention the faster speed.

can anyone please explian?

If it doesn't compute, then it's most likely very dodgy. E-mail them and ask, and see what the response is.

If you do a reverse DNS lookup, you'll find they're simply resellers of TheCoolHost.com, with further reverse DNS/IP block lookups pointing to Sprint in Canada (a major Canadian telco). Unless they've somehow gotten a special deal on bandwidth, I don't see (nor understand!) how it can be done.

PCISD Guest

I think at one time The Coolhost was giving out unlimited bandwidth. This could just be a left over website. I think The Coolhost got burned on bandwidth but Im not sure as to his current standing. His standing would greatly weight on his resellers as they just resell for him.

Wink

Well the irony is that I have talked to people that have been hosted by them, they say waht they say is 100% true, and these are really heavy sites, emulatiions sites that transfer 50 gigd a day, some of the examples:- www.emusanet.com www.plasticman.org

their used to be many other sites that had wedevstudio, many rom sites.

Well if the company can provide even half of what it cliams, I 'll join.

Cool

Planning on moving some serious traffic, are you?

If you do sign up, let us know how it turns out. Always nice to add another host to the "good" list instead of always incrementing the "bad" list.

------------------
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    http://www.hostmatters.com

Daniel Pearson Guest

I'm sorry but you should turn around and run as fast as possible away from this place.

A T1 on average costs 1000 a month.

T3's run in excess of 24,000 a month they might be a bit cheaper now.

Oc3's are around the same price.

What they offer is IMPOSSIBLE.

It would take a lot of servers to use that much and I can promise you what they offer is not possible.

If you really want to get some information call MCI World Com and have them quote you on the costs of an Oc3.

Daniel~

I agree with Daniel. If I recall correctly, the Cool Host went down a few months ago for many days due to exceeding bandwidth and server problems and copped a lot of flak from their resellers and clients.

I would NOT be surprised if the same thing happens to webdev studio.

jason Guest

This one is too good to be true.

Check out www.npsis.com for reasonable rates but excellent service.

Stop SPAMMING this board.

Your IP 63.225.237.10 points to you "nathan.npsis.com" -

Thumbs up

Hmmm I am gonna ahead and signup for a month.. Iam gonna make him sign a legal contract about it though since large amounts of money are involoved...

Legal or not if they go under your money is lost. I hope it works out!

Nukem,

Your post would be more appropriate in the forum on dedicated and co-located servers. It represents a whole different level of service than the shared server hosting most are looking for here.

Apparently you overlooked the part that says 12 month contract and a 24 month contract available. That's a committment of $16,800 You're so insistent about having a legal contract with them, while stating you'll sign up for a month. Judging from what you posted, you can't.

You're confusing the cost of a dedicated T1 with the sharing of an OC3. Non sequitur.

It does seem to be an exceptional deal, with a cost per gigabyte under 47 cents. At the very least, it indicates what the cost can be for bandwidth when buying in volume.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 06-06-2000).]