Thread: Digichat?

Digichat?

Hi guys. Has anyone installed a recent version of Digichat on a Linux server?

Is it quite straightforward, or really complex? Is there an install executable?

Thanks

Bought a custom license for Digichat and tried to install it on my dedicated server.

It was a nightmare. Digichat was too slow to respond simple questions and it took days to activate my license.
    In the end, I gave up installing and went with Realchat instead. I installed Realchat in 5 minutes and has been running fine ever since.

Hope that helps.

P.S Digichat requires GUI libraries installed.

hmm, that doesn't sound great. What did you do with your Digichat license?!

was this the latest version, or an older one?

Happpened less than a month ago.

Another vote for RealChat. Easy install and runs like a dream. Basically zero drain on the server too -- absolutely awesome.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

do you have to have anything special installed on the server for Realchat?

We just installed Tomcat, out-of-the-box. That was it, it installs everything needed. Then RC comes packaged with whatever remaining parts it needs. The RC install is easy as pie.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

We're not too impressed with digichat. They are not very responsive to email and seem to squeeze their customers for every cent possible.

We have a nonprofit customer that uses them that is transferring hosting to us. The customer has the last version installed (not the current) and in order for us to simply install it on our server, digichat is requiring that the customer purchase their annual support license ($447 they quoted since the customer opted not to pay $149 every year for support they don't need/use) plus if the customer wants them to intall it (in the event we have trouble), they tack on a whooping $249 for installation. That's almost $700 simply for my customer to be able to use software they purchased 2 years ago for nearly $600.

Also the customer complained that the chatroom goes down every 2 to 3 days, requiring the customer to kill the processes and restart them for the chatrooms software manually through shell. When the customer asked if this same problem would happen on the new server (linux as opposed to the solaris they are current on), the sales guy told my customer that they would have to purchase the support license simply to get that question answered. My customer asked if they could just install his version on the new server and at first the guy said yes for $249 but then later in the conversation said no, that the customer would have to also pay the $447 before they were willing to do any installation. My customer was really disgusted. He feels they are not worth it. And for their outrageous prices, you'd at least expect them to respond promptly to email inquiries.

I'm going to advise the customer to go with RealChat. Unless you guys have any other recommendations.

LAIG

We're still using RealChat and continue to be happy with it. Have run quite a few chats on it, and have it running on a little Sempron server and it's been smooth as glass. If I had a single complaint, I'd share it... I just don't have any.

Bailey