Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Abovenet Data Center in San Francisco

Anyone know anything about the re-opened Abovenet facility in San Francisco at 365 Main St? I would like to tour it but don't have any time. So wondering if anyone here knows what it is like. I am looking to colocate 2-3 racks in the San Francisco area. Below are the facilities I toured:
    Level 3, too expensive!
    United Layer, good prices but facility is, well.....
    Navisite/ClearBlue, it's ok
    ServePath, same as United Layer, first impression not good.
    eXchange, ok, but ltheir power outage makes me nervous.

Anyone know of any other good colo's in SF?

We use AboveNet in San Jose and have had nothing but excellent service.

High quality bandwidth, no outtages, and good staff.

If physical location is really not that important, San Jose provides much easier in/out access than downtown SF.

We were in AboveNet in the original 18th floor building and it used to take 40 minutes just to park, clear security, get to the freight elevator, and then finally into the colo.

I'd suggest you combine eXchange and *********** which means you get your colocation space at eXchange and the pipe from ***********. That way you have some of the best possible combination.

The main exchange (365 Main) is quite new but I've heard it's a nice data-center. I don't have any first-hand information on them though as I don't know anyone who's there.

BTW: 365Main is no longer an Above.Net data-center. It's been sold.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com

eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

Second the Abovenet/San Jose choice. Everyone here already knows that we use them and love them.

P.S. We're in SJC3, not SJC2 (as Spiv is), but both datacenters are great.

PM me if you want an Abovenet sales contact. They've been very helpful to us.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

How many SJC facilities does AboveNet have that whats the diff between sjc2 & 3

SJ3 is the super DC they got. It's brand new. SJ2 is across the street, i belive, but it's an older DC. erica, did i get it right?

But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
    Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...

Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
    Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...
    Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

But what about that massive power outage they had a few weeks back? That makes me nervous. I also herd that many Data Centers in SF went down (network wise) because of the 200 Paul/eXchange power outage. I was told that most Internet feeds of most Data Centers in SF are provided via 200 Paul St (aka eXchange)

Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by Gernot
    Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.
    Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
    What do you mean by small POP?

Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.

Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
    What do you mean by small POP?
    Well, AboveNet sold it to 365 Inc..
    By small POP I mean some kind of data-room which might be located in a larger data-center. I don't think AboveNet has their own large building or data-center in SF anymore.

Originally posted by Gernot
    Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.
    You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?

You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?
    I don't work for them, I've been a customer of eXchange since August 2001 (the date I've mentioned in the previous post ).

Well, I've already toured eXchange.
    I think I'll tour 365 Main St. It must be a nice place if Abovenet built it. I'll let you guys what I think after the tour. I'll also try to find out if it is the newest facility Abovenet built.

Just to clear things up, Abovenet no longer owns any datacenters in SF.

SJC3 (which is where we are) is Abovenet's newest San Jose datacenter. Mfjp, you're thinking of SJC2/SJC1, which are both downtown and are close to each other. SJC3 is north of San Jose... closer to Fremont. I believe SJC1 is mostly offices... there certainly isn't much hosted there.

365 Main is great as well, although personally I'm very happy with SJC3. I would recommend SJC3 over 365 Main because of their uptime guarantees. Both are of the same quality construction.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    Just to clear things up, Abovenet no longer owns any datacenters in SF.

SJC3 (which is where we are) is Abovenet's newest San Jose datacenter. Mfjp, you're thinking of SJC2/SJC1, which are both downtown and are close to each other. SJC3 is north of San Jose... closer to Fremont. I believe SJC1 is mostly offices... there certainly isn't much hosted there.

365 Main is great as well, although personally I'm very happy with SJC3. I would recommend SJC3 over 365 Main because of their uptime guarantees. Both are of the same quality construction.
    When was SJC3 built?
    Also, if 365 Main ans SJC3 are of the same construction and both built by Abovenet then I would assume the 365 Data Center offers the same uptime guarantees. I'll ask them if they match the SJ3 uptime guarantees. If they do then I think 365 could be a good choice... that is, if their pricing is ok.

When was SJC3 built?
    Also, if 365 Main ans SJC3 are of the same construction and both built by Abovenet then I would assume the 365 Data Center offers the same uptime guarantees. I'll ask them if they match the SJ3 uptime guarantees. If they do then I think 365 could be a good choice... that is, if their pricing is ok.
    I'm not sure when SJC3 was built.... 1999, perhaps? It's fairly new.

Abovenet no longer provides service at 365 Main, so their 100% network and power uptime guarantee (in effect at SJC3) wouldn't apply there. It's up to each individual service provider that colocates there to provide uptime guarantees. Most of them, from what I've seen, don't provide uptime guarantees at all.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I'm not sure when SJC3 was built.... 1999, perhaps? It's fairly new.

Abovenet no longer provides service at 365 Main, so their 100% network and power uptime guarantee (in effect at SJC3) wouldn't apply there. It's up to each individual service provider that colocates there to provide uptime guarantees. Most of them, from what I've seen, don't provide uptime guarantees at all.

FYI.
    I just talked with a Mandy Thomasian from Abovenet. She is a manager there. She said that the 365 Main facility in SF was built in 2001 by Abovenet and that the SJ3 facility is 2 years older.

365 Main St. is a bit on the expensive side as well considering their connectivity and fiber availability. On their site, they mentioned only MFN and XO have fibers in their building. So, if you're going into that DC, you'll be force to buy MFN, XO, or the mix they provide.

You may want to check out 360 Spear street and 60 Federal as well in SF.

365 Main St. is a bit on the expensive side as well considering their connectivity and fiber availability. On their site, they mentioned only MFN and XO have fibers in their building. So, if you're going into that DC, you'll be force to buy MFN, XO, or the mix they provide.

Thanks! That is good info. I'll be sure to bring that up when I schedule a tour.
    BTW what do you mean by "expensive"?
    I don't mind paying a little more for a nice place.
    Can you please give me the URL to their site. I'd like to call them and arrange a tour. If you could also include a URL to 360 Spear that would be helpful too.

Found a URL related to the 365 Main facility (searched for "365 main st colocation" in Google).
    www.pb-solutions.com (I tried to link it below :...)

Pacific Business Solutions

Looks like they use XO, MCI and MFN for Internet connectivity.

Never herd of Pacific Business Solutions. They also seemed to be associated with www.sfcolocation.com. When I searched their IP block on ARIN it appears to be a part of SFCOLOCATION.
    Anyone here herd of these two companies?

Is sfcolocation in any other data centers in SF?

I emailed them a while back enquiring about the companies that have a presence in the building. This is the list I got:

MFN/Abovenet
    XO Comm.
    PB Solutions
    GNI
    NASA
    IP Networks
    SBC
    MCI

hmm, anyone know what NASA bw costs <grin>

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast