Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minimum time to make live a Website in Internet

What minimum possible time does it takes to become live on Internet for a website? I mean to say the time taken from domain registration, hosting and uploading. Here what I observered is hosting and uploading is almost instantanious if Internet connection and server is ok, the next factor is time taken for propagation of nameserver details. any i am asking about instant website? Is it possible to register a domain, host and upload site content and all is available to world in minimum time.

So suggest me any one a startegy for minimum time taken in the whole process.

The limiting factor - assuming you already have your content ready to go on your hard drive - would be DNS propagation. Also some hosts, depending on security policies, may want to verify your CC info.

Otherwise: registration of a domain name can be done in the process of opening your hosting account, usually the host will be happy to do that for you.

The host should give you the site login as soon as your payment is approved, then you can upload your contents instantly. The DNS will usually propagate within the hour but that can vary.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

i would say 24 hours-48 hours for a website to go online.

as Nadabrahma said, the limiting factor is waiting for the dns to change, everything else is practically immediate and with most good hosts they would provide an ip or alternate url to access the ftp and control panel so you can upload the files while waiting for the domain name to propagate.

that is also based upon a fast and responsive host to your sales request

An other addition to the time it might take is the TLD you try to register, while TLD's like .com .org .net and so on, are often instantly setup, others may take a day before even to be loaded by the registrar. (i.e. .NL only updates its zone file twice a day, and officially not even in the weekends).

DNS propagation can only kick in when the registrar did indeed load the domain to its zone files. So this is also a factor you need to calculate into the minimum time.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I had my last one live in 20 minutes.

It depends upon your domain registrar, perhaps but I have found that domains I register at Enom are live and propagating within 5-10 minutes. Not hours, minutes.

Then it is just a matter of creating the account in WHM and uploading the files. Done.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Wonderfull replies

Ya it is exactly what i intended to, thanks a lot to all of you, I request more people to respond to the time to live.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    I had my last one live in 20 minutes.

It depends upon your domain registrar, perhaps but I have found that domains I register at Enom are live and propagating within 5-10 minutes. Not hours, minutes.

Then it is just a matter of creating the account in WHM and uploading the files. Done.

Bailey
    Yep, 10 - 20 minutes is all it takes. The key factor here is registering the domain name and pointing the default DNS records to your current host. This automatically ensures that when the domain is registered then it is already pointing to the correct domain.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

I do it in less than 15 minutes, depends on your registrar and your host. With some registrars, you can register in less than 1 minute , others take half hour and DNS propagation is instantaneous .

15-30 Minutes provided that your content is ready and your domain is registered with eNom

The fastest DNS propagation I have seen so far is 13 minutes. (eNom Rocks)

vow wonderfull discission , I really admire and thanks to you guys

The comments here about using Enom to make it faster are totally incorrect.

The domain registrar plays absolutely no part in the speed it will take for your domain to resolve, unless you get a registrar that waits and doesn't actually register the domain when you submit the request to them.

Are all registrar equal?

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post

The domain registrar plays absolutely no part in the speed it will take for your domain to resolve, unless you get a registrar that waits and doesn't actually register the domain when you submit the request to them.
    You mean to say all registrar are equal as for as dns propogation is concerned?
    If yes means domain registered with any registrar will take the same time?

I think it depends more on the hosting company . I use Directi for registering many of my domains, but they are hosted at different places. With Netfirms it took 1 day for the site to become live after uploading, with site5 it usually takes 30 minutes (longer for .com, .net) but with hostgator and asmallorange it takes less than 10 minutes.

I've noticed that being close to your nameservers also makes a difference. I'm right beside my nameservers, and so as soon as I create a site, it's already live for me, but a dude in Utah couldn't see it yet. It all depends on DNS propagation and how quickly it occurs. It depends on where you are, and if there are any issues in the internet route.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I would add one more thing to this. If you are changing the nameservers of an existing site, it will take more time for resolving as there will be cached results at different caching nameservers.
    Any way this is not a factor when you are going for a brand new domain.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by dnki View Post
    I think it depends more on the hosting company . I use Directi for registering many of my domains, but they are hosted at different places. With Netfirms it took 1 day for the site to become live after uploading, with site5 it usually takes 30 minutes (longer for .com, .net) but with hostgator and asmallorange it takes less than 10 minutes.
    The hosting company has nothing to do with it, again assuming the account is setup in the same amount of time. Obviously if a host takes 2 days to setup your account and another takes 10 minutes, they are going to take different times to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    I've noticed that being close to your nameservers also makes a difference. I'm right beside my nameservers, and so as soon as I create a site, it's already live for me, but a dude in Utah couldn't see it yet. It all depends on DNS propagation and how quickly it occurs. It depends on where you are, and if there are any issues in the internet route.
    Very possibly your machine uses those same nameservers. If not, it's a coincidence that being physically close worked.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    I would add one more thing to this. If you are changing the nameservers of an existing site, it will take more time for resolving as there will be cached results at different caching nameservers.
    Any way this is not a factor when you are going for a brand new domain.
    Exactly. Just to add to what you said though, if you are registering a new domain and try to visit the domain before it is registered/resolving, this can add a delay to being able to view it as caching comes into effect there as well. The best thing to do is not try to view the site until about 10 minutes after it's been registered.

The hosting company has nothing to do with it, again assuming the account is setup in the same amount of time. Obviously if a host takes 2 days to setup your account and another takes 10 minutes, they are going to take different times to resolve.
    I already have existing accounts with all the hosting companies, and the new domains are added as add on domains, still time taken to resolve is different

Most domains I register personally and for clients usually take less than 10 mins to go live if not immediately.
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)

I know my ISP's DNS update is very infrequently, up to two days, while opendns and similar is almost instant.
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by dnki View Post
    I already have existing accounts with all the hosting companies, and the new domains are added as add on domains, still time taken to resolve is different
    If one always takes longer then another, then it's because their setup is not working as efficiently. For example, when they add a domain to their system, it may send the DNS only to the primary DNS zone and then the secondary updates from that 30 minutes later. In this case, hitting ns2 within that 30 minutes would cause the domain to fail, but hitting ns1 it should resolve.

The actual hosting company itself makes no difference though.

I've seen domains get registered and setup with an hour.
    trevnetmedia.com
    Fully managed hosting. Custom website design. Custom web application development.

1-2 day for domain registration and activation,

if you have a hosting , and you have to upload your pages ... depend of how many K you have, lets say 1 day .

So lets say 3 days ... but you can do it faster if you are working ith top rated companies for domain names and your hosting provider is not too slow
    Cheap Web Hosting - web hosting directory, tones of hosting plans, php, mysql, linux, windows, asp:
    http://www.findhost32.com
    http://www.findhost32.com/shared-hosting.php

For Me The General Propogation Time Is 15-20 Minutes

If You Register A New Domain And Set It's Nameserver To Your Host During The Time Of Domain Registration It Will Propogate In 1 Min As The Registry Entry Is Updated Faster For New Domains

Uhhh, that's exactly what makes our comments about Enom CORRECT... the mechanism they use to make the domain names go live right away, is what makes them so fast.

No, not all registrars provide fast service. I previously was a Dotster customer (over 40 domains with them) and they never had a domain live in less than 12 hours... usually it was 24-36 hours before it would resolve for me (on the same ISP)... Dotster said right on their site that they only upload new registrations and NS changes to the Global Registry twice per day. It was nowhere near instantaneous/real-time. Maybe it has changed since then, but time and time and time again I set up new sites and it was two full days before my Dotster-registered domains resolved.

That's part of why I transferred all my domains to Enom!!!

Anyway, no, not all registrars are alike. Some are faster than others. You have to read the fine print, and see what current customers have to say, in order to get the most accurate picture of the service they actually provide.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post

Who's your registrar?

Bailey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast