Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* NO ONE can change DNS on 1and1 - broken - confirmed

I have no idea how many millions of customers 1and1 has, but at this moment and for the last two weeks not one of them has been able to change dns settings on any of their domains.

I tried it last week for my own and got an error. I didn't think too much of it, but when I went to transfer a client's domain to a different nameserver it wouldn't make the change.

I called support. CONFIRMED and they have no resolution other than our engineers are looking into it.

I have been a customer of 1AND1 Since the 90's or whenever they started - but this is too much. I have a client on a deadline with a new 8000 dollar site and I can't make dns changes.

WOW! If this is affecting every domain name with them it must be in the millions. The response:

“We are looking into it”

Either means they have had to say the same thing to thousands of customers or they are more relaxed than they should be.

I hope they fix this soon.

Jack
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades

Are you sure it's affecting all of their domains?

With however million domains they have registered I would have thought it would have been mentioned on these forums before now if that was the case.

Wow if this is true it is major. I once had sites hosted with 1and1 and Godaddy but I was never happy with the service that I received.

I agree with Dan_EZPZ, if this is true I would have thought that it would have been mentioned before now.

Perhaps a 1and1 staff would like to confirm this; I find it impossible that with the number of users that they have, no one else has made a complaint about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_EZPZ View Post

With however million domains they have registered I would have thought it would have been mentioned on these forums before now if that was the case.
    I was told by two different support people that it affects everyone. NO ONE on 1and1 can make dns changes. I asked them to manually change my nameservers. They cannot.

NO one.

I am surprised as well. I also Google searched it and found nothing. And yet I couldn't make a change on one of my own domains last week. I never bothered calling as I wasn't using 1and1's nameservers so I fixed my issues by adding records at my nameservers rather than switching to a different nameserever. That sounds more complicated than normal and is, but the point is that I couldn't make changes at 1and1 last week for myself.

The second support person admitted that this has been an ongoing problem for two weeks that they thought was fixed and now has come back.

I use 1and1 to register my domains at least the majority of them and I do not host there so all my domains are using outside nameservers. I had to go in today to change the nameservers on a client's domain to dnsmadeeasy.com - I love those guys.

I cannot make the change and they have a launch scheduled of a huge corporate website.

Now my only choice is move registrars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_EZPZ View Post

I'm with you Dan. With millions it should not be hard to find a domain to test. Give it a try.
    Last edited by pistonpilot; 04-24-2010 at 01:56 PM.

I changed the NS on one of my domains (with 1&1) this morning with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    I changed the NS on one of my domains (with 1&1) this morning with no problems.

I asked 1and1 if everyone was affected, linux and microsoft users. I am using Linux hosting.

You?

Now two or so hours later I just tried to change my client's ns to ns11.dnsmadeasy.com and ns12 only - it looks like it does something but when you go to back to dns settings it's still set for 1and1.

that was for my client.

I logged into my own account for a domain I'm dropping so I don't care about the dns and it let me change it. to the dns above. ns11 and 12 at dnsmadeasy.com - so it is hit or miss at this point.

When the dust settles someone suggest a good registrar to use as I'm going to transfer them all.

I'm not going to defend my statements - I've said enough - if you want verification, call 1and1 877 435 7281 hit 3 then 3 again for support. You ask them. I've had enough.
    Last edited by pistonpilot; 04-24-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Changed mine too everything worked as normal

There is a work around according to one of our clients. If you attempt to "order" your domain, but only go to the first step, and then attempt to update your DNS settings, it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by fivewarp View Post
    There is a work around according to one of our clients. If you attempt to "order" your domain, but only go to the first step, and then attempt to update your DNS settings, it will work.
    I just did it as you suggested. It worked.

Are there any DNS gurus willing to posit a thought as to why this allows me to change dns when going through the regular steps do not?
    Last edited by pistonpilot; 04-24-2010 at 03:23 PM.

I have a couple of domains hosted with them (no web hosting packages), and I was able to make a change.

Keep in mind that 1and1 are notoriously slow with regards to DNS.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord_ View Post
    I have a couple of domains hosted with them (no web hosting packages), and I was able to make a change.

Keep in mind that 1and1 are notoriously slow with regards to DNS.
    You are not understanding the problem. I have never had a problem with dns propagation or changing dns settings on 1and1.com.

I really don't understand why you don't understand. Am I not clear.

I have been using 1and1 for the past 10 years at least. I know every nuance of their control panel. I know how to change dns.

Try to understand this:

I go into my dns settings for a particular domain.
    I change the nameservers.
    I hit ok.
    It acts as if it is taking my new nameservers.
    It changes nothing

It changes nothing.

It changes nothing.

Would you like me to repeat that?

Perhaps ask them for a report confirming this in great detail?

Or ask for a representative to confirm this on here or on their site.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpilot View Post
    I asked 1and1 if everyone was affected, linux and microsoft users. I am using Linux hosting.

You?
    It really shouldn't matter what hosting plan you're using unless their system is internally very convoluted. (Who knows?)
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Perhaps ask them for a report confirming this in great detail?

Or ask for a representative to confirm this on here or on their site.
    Be my guest:

call 1and1 877 435 7281 hit 3 then 3 again for support. You ask them. I've had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It really shouldn't matter what hosting plan you're using unless their system is internally very convoluted. (Who knows?)
    I'd agree with you, but then why does trying to bring a domain that is already there free up the dns so that I can change it?

I tried 10 times to change the dns. I then did what the one guy said - try to buy your own domain - I was then able to change dns.

Can you explain that?

I'd agree with you, but then why does trying to bring a domain that is already there free up the dns so that I can change it?
    I wouldn't know - sounds like their system is buggy.

I tried 10 times to change the dns. I then did what the one guy said - try to buy your own domain - I was then able to change dns.

Can you explain that?
    No - why would I be able to explain it?

I'm just saying what type of hosting plan you have shouldn't have any bearing on being able to update your DNS. If it does, then that's definitely not good but I would think Linux and Windows customers would be affected just the same as the Hosting and Domain (while related) are two entirely different services.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Their system has always been a crap shoot, it is a horrible control panel that seems like it was designed by people who have never seen a gui before.

The problem that they are having is likely due to their inhouse control panel and not an actual DNS issue. The Fact that their staff cannot do anything about it reminds me of a time when I went to a Burger King and their computer system had gone down just before lunch so they just sat there telling everyone that they couldn't sell any food because the computers were broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave - Just199 View Post
    Their system has always been a crap shoot, it is a horrible control panel that seems like it was designed by people who have never seen a gui before.

The problem that they are having is likely due to their inhouse control panel and not an actual DNS issue. The Fact that their staff cannot do anything about it reminds me of a time when I went to a Burger King and their computer system had gone down just before lunch so they just sat there telling everyone that they couldn't sell any food because the computers were broke.
    When I was working at Taco Bell during high school ... our computer system went down and we pulled out a pen and paper and did it all by hand. We couldn't take credit cards but cash transactions we could do just fine

Some people don't know how to handle a world without computers though.

At this point, I would try and find a new registrar. There is no point in delaying your personal life or business due to this error on their end. I cannot find any article saying why 1and1.com isn't allowing you to change your DNS, but its obviously a big reason if it hasn't been working for a few days. In my opinion, it's not worth staying there waiting for them to get their act together. It might cost your business or website.

Regards,

xor_

I was able to change dns on a site at 1and1, but I'm not able to make its registration private.

Note: this was a domain I had marked not to auto-renew. At first, their system wouldn't let me change the DNS. I figured maybe the problem was that that domain was on its own package. I found a workaround: I moved the domain to another package, and presto, I could change its DNS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast