How many game servers can I run on this?

I hope you guys can help me because I havent been able to get a stright answer posting on the different game forums. How many Game servers can I run on this server?

Dell PowerEdge T110
    Intel® Xeon® X3450, 2.66 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT
    8GB of ram
    250GB Sata 3.0 hard drive

I would like to try and get a gaming couminity going and offer different games on the server. What I dont want is lag, so I dont want to even come close to overloading the server.

Here is the list of games I would like to run. UT3, COD4, COD WAW, Counterstrike. The two most important games I want to run are COD4 and COD WAW.

P.S. I have checked into renting a game server from a company and they want too much money for my budget. For 1 48slot COD4 server they want $59.99. I am getting a 100mbps connection and 3,300GB transfer for $70 a month. I also did a tracert and I am 16hopps and a 38ms ping from the colocation provider and I am 15hops and 31ms from the game server provider. So I shouldnt have any lag!

I would say 150-200 users on at a single time on that machine. I highly suggest looking at renting an x3450 which will be much better for a single server.

Good Luck!

I would go about 200 max servers that can run on there. When getting close to 200 it might become a little laggy.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    I would say 150-200 users on at a single time on that machine. I highly suggest looking at renting an x3450 which will be much better for a single server.

Good Luck!
    I did look into renting and the cheapest I found was almost $200 a month. I am paying $70 a month for colocation and $780 for the server. So If I colocate the server for 7 months it more then payed for its self. If by some chance after 7 months I didnt want to do it anymore I could have the data ceneter ship the server back and throw some 2tb hard drives in it and use it as a filesharing server at home.
    Last edited by Soulwatcher1974; 04-20-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwatcher1974 View Post
    I did look into renting and the cheapest I found was almost $200 a month. I am paying $70 a month for colocation and $780 for the server. So If I colocate the server for 7 months it more then payed for its self. If by some chance after 7 months I didnt want to do it anymore I could have the data ceneter ship the server back and throw some 2tb hard drives in it and use it as a filesharing server at home.
    How experienced are you with running game servers ? As if you are co-locating with a non-game server provider you will need to do all the leg work yourself. Do you plan to run windows ?

I would say 150~active slots it really depends on the overall activity of the users gameserver and so on. As an average comfortably I would say 150. I would say though if you are planning on becoming a gameserver provider that ya take into consideration your first six months are easily going to be you eating the monthly bill. As for having to do all the leg work if you go TCAdmin you pretty much could wear a helmet and get that installed. However it does take some understanding to really get all the features working.
    Last edited by Jessay; 04-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.

150 - 200 ..

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some one PMed me on another forum and rented me a game server for a price that I couldn't resist.

210 Max.

Also depends on the game.
    If your looking at high intense valve games, id say 180 - 200

I suggest to you use RAID, Software Raid1 (for start) but better HW Raid 5 / 10. Because, if you not have a 24/7 instant HDD monitoring, you can loose all your and client data.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwatcher1974 View Post
    I also did a tracert and I am 16hopps and a 38ms ping from the colocation provider and I am 15hops and 31ms from the game server provider. So I shouldnt have any lag!
    Ping has nothing to do with lag. Please understand basic networking before referring to terms you don't fully understand.

Why wouldn't the ping have anything to do with lag. Lag is latency and latency can indeed be measured using ping.

If you have 1000ms latency then you will be lagging. I don't understand why you think that a shorter network path to the server is not going to improve your lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Why wouldn't the ping have anything to do with lag. Lag is latency and latency can indeed be measured using ping.

If you have 1000ms latency then you will be lagging. I don't understand why you think that a shorter network path to the server is not going to improve your lag.
    Lag can be attributed to several factors including how far away from the server you are (ping) however if the quality of that connection isn't up to par you could be in the same room playing and still experience the exact problem as if you were across the country. Given your pinging very low I would investigate the quality of the connection your connecting to and if the hardware is being taxed.

There's literally dozens of scenarios that can cause lag type conditions but I'm afraid a book isn't what I'm up to writing at the moment

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich View Post
    Lag can be attributed to several factors including how far away from the server you are (ping) however if the quality of that connection isn't up to par you could be in the same room playing and still experience the exact problem as if you were across the country. Given your pinging very low I would investigate the quality of the connection your connecting to and if the hardware is being taxed.

There's literally dozens of scenarios that can cause lag type conditions but I'm afraid a book isn't what I'm up to writing at the moment

Hope this helps!
    So what you meant to say, in your original post, is that ping(Latency) is only one factor in lag.

And if you have higher than a 10ms ping on you lan you have more problems than your game server

they say that a 8gb ram exeon ht 2.33ghz quad core can run around 36 20 slot cod4 gameservers(lag free)

Quote Originally Posted by nemore View Post
    they say that a 8gb ram exeon ht 2.33ghz quad core can run around 36 20 slot cod4 gameservers(lag free)
    No, that's nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by nemore View Post
    That sounds like the business plan of a $1 slot shop... Absurd to say the least.

sorry i might be wrong but it should be possible to 36 cod4 servers not css or any other games. or 36 medal of honor servers.