Want to become reseller

Hello All,

First of all, thanks for helpful website and everyone else. I want to become a reseller. I have been doing sysadmin job for a while. Now I want to do web hosting (something I wanted to do for a long time). Could you help a new guy here on what I need to know and some recommended companies? I would like to see a list a reliable companies with around 98-99% uptime. All of your inputs will be very helpful. Thank all of you for your help.

Cuong

I suggest if you are serious about finding a host you should consider putting some free service monitors on them so you can tell for yourself how there uptime is.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Take a look at www.e-insites.com they are a very good company that i have used and have excellent uptime ...pricing is great too!

Good information

If you have any other questions about them let me know. I've used them for several years.

make a search bladze, ull find alot of good resellers, check out ddihosting.net and x1services.com they have good plans and good reviews in WHT.

For what kind of hosting are you looking for? (Linux/Window, What kind of control panel?)
    Eu-Forums.com - European Forums

I suggest if you are serious about finding a host you should consider putting some free service monitors on them so you can tell for yourself how there uptime is.
    You might want to ask the host for third party monitoring statistics. Most hosts should have those on hand and some will even have them posted on their website.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    You might want to ask the host for third party monitoring statistics. Most hosts should have those on hand and some will even have them posted on their website.
    Would add one more point, check their servers uptime not their main site uptime. Most of the hosts have multiple servers, ask them list of their servers and third party monitoring statistics for those servers.

Like I am using DDIhosting and they monitor all their servers through Alerta.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 09-07-2004 at 08:47 PM.
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Httpme.com provides that data per server. You can also check out their customer forums. Wonderful place to start out with. I have used for almost 2 years before I switched to my own server.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Hello bladze,

You may also want to check out hostspace.us, dotsimple.com, and bgfweb.com
    You'll find their prices very competitive and the staff is profeccional and easy to deal with. Their uptime was good for me, too. With their prices, you can actually get two accounts at different hosters and use one as a backup - just in case.
    I have used many different reseller hosters, but these three shown me that I can get more than I pay for

Re: Want to become reseller

Originally posted by bladze
    Hello All,

First of all, thanks for helpful website and everyone else. I want to become a reseller. I have been doing sysadmin job for a while. Now I want to do web hosting (something I wanted to do for a long time). Could you help a new guy here on what I need to know and some recommended companies? I would like to see a list a reliable companies with around 98-99% uptime. All of your inputs will be very helpful. Thank all of you for your help.
    Cuong
    I would suggest you to look for a company with more than 99% uptime, because only 99% is about 3 days of downtime/year which is not acceptable in most cases.
    Eu-Forums.com - European Forums

Would add one more point, check their servers uptime not their main site uptime. Most of the hosts have multiple servers, ask them list of their servers and third party monitoring statistics for those servers.
    Thank you Harsha! This is what I was trying to say, but I failed to express the whole idea.

Originally posted by Harsha

Like I am using DDIhosting and they monitor all their servers through Alerta.
    Whilst Alertra is a decent outlet, I don't see why a hosting company should be "forced" to provide below-par stats.

Keep in mind, most good hosting companies use a much, much more powerful monitoring tool than the simple monitoring system alertra offers.

Also keep in mind that to get true statistics, these servers should be checked on every service (5+ services per server), every 5 minutes (absolute maximum). Every service, on a 5 minute period with alertra will cost $300 +/- per month, per server.

Times that $300+/- per server, by the number of servers the company uses, and you're saying that a hosting company should be paying Alertra 6k per month, to offer low-grade statistics for 20 servers. That's 72k, per year, to a third party monitoring service that quite frankly is below par in comparison with a true (live) monitoring system like IPMon or IPCheck, both of which have output generators that can give monthly stats, based on actual service monitoring, on a 1 minute period.

Alertra have a good thing going on, huh?

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Originally posted by IHSL
    Alertra have a good thing going on, huh?
    I agree completely. Those services are absurdly expensive. We use websitepulse.com, which is a bit less expensive (and more powerful, ironically) than alertra, and it's still somewhere around $500/month. That's a pretty large expense for any company.

And of course, we have our own internal monitoring system configured to poll all services (not just HTTP) on all servers every 2 minutes, but the WebSitePulse ones are what we publish on our site. So in essence, yes, we're paying a lot for sub-par statistics. Oh well--such is life.

Matt
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    I agree completely. Those services are absurdly expensive. We use websitepulse.com, which is a bit less expensive (and more powerful, ironically) than alertra, and it's still somewhere around $500/month. That's a pretty large expense for any company.

And of course, we have our own internal monitoring system configured to poll all services (not just HTTP) on all servers every 2 minutes, but the WebSitePulse ones are what we publish on our site. So in essence, yes, we're paying a lot for sub-par statistics. Oh well--such is life.

Matt
    Yep, couldn't agree more.

We have alertra, but don't like the fact that somehow Alertra managed to convince everyone that 3rd party is the only one that can be trusted - thus adding an extra expense of $5k+ per month for us (109 services monitored)

Give me IPCheck any day of the week

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Good points , and good luck!
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Hmm... I do like to be as sure as possible that the host cannot "play" with the uptime statistics so... I like 3rd party monitoring.

The really unfortunate part is that in the end the customer will cover all the additional costs.

I can't help it, I'm not a host and from time to time I find it very hard to think like one.

Best uptime-performance statistics would be adviced from the customers of the hosting services.
    I cant see any reliable host reviewing services around whom are not affiliated with it but maybe WHT will apply for it to the community but this time it would make crowded ones to get more crowded and smallers to be erased from the board anyway it will be worth to try if WHT open a review section for its every members that have a web hosting service by enabling to those services customers to review it with their reseller username and some sites (to prevent the manipulators)

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Hmm... I do like to be as sure as possible that the host cannot "play" with the uptime statistics so... I like 3rd party monitoring.

The really unfortunate part is that in the end the customer will cover all the additional costs.

I can't help it, I'm not a host and from time to time I find it very hard to think like one.
    This is where trust comes in to play.

If you can not trust your provider, one would have to wonder why you chose them.

I can see why there's a cry for third party, because of manipulation by companies, but again this boils down to choosing the wrong provider. Would you choose a bank if you did not trust that they would steal (literally) your money? My guess is "no".

Unfortunately, there's many companies that instill this uneasiness into clients, so when that client finally leaves, they think that the entire hosting industry is run by crooks. It's then the actual good companies who have to pick up the pieces and show "Joe Public" that bad service isn't as common as they once thought.

The thing that people confuse about alertra, is services. What use is a 'live' server if POP3, Imap, http, https (etc) is down? So the server pings, alertra gives the green light - the customer scratches his head for 24 hours wondering what button he pressed on his keyboard to make his connection go wonky.

Just a side FYI: Alertra can also be manipulated, they even give you instructions on how to do it. The third party option is far from safe.

Simon

Originally posted by IHSL
    This is where trust comes in to play.

If you can not trust your provider, one would have to wonder why you chose them.

I can see why there's a cry for third party, because of manipulation by companies, but again this boils down to choosing the wrong provider. Would you choose a bank if you did not trust that they would steal (literally) your money? My guess is "no".

Simon
    You are going a bit off topic, the discussion was for a new customer looking for a new host. In that process s/he would like to know the third party monitoring stats.

So unless a client has used the services of host how can she trust a host.
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Originally posted by Harsha
    You are going a bit off topic, the discussion was for a new customer looking for a new host. In that process s/he would like to know the third party monitoring stats.

So unless a client has used the services of host how can she trust a host.
    Trust comes from reputation. Reputation is earned by reliability (in all senses of the word).

Simon

Just a side FYI: Alertra can also be manipulated, they even give you instructions on how to do it. The third party option is far from safe.
    It may be, but it will still do a better job at instilling trust. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though, you said yourself that you use Alertra.

We have alertra, but don't like the fact that somehow Alertra managed to convince everyone that 3rd party is the only one that can be trusted
    You may not like it, but it's one of their important selling points. They simply had to do it - for marketing purposes.