Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad treatment from fsckvps

I've had decent service from fsckvps for a year or so. When I signed up they promised to charge my credit card every month. This is important to me, and until this month that's what they have done. In fact, on April 23rd they promised to charge my credit card this month too:

Subject: Customer Invoice
    To: Kenneth Grome <kengrome@gmail.com>
    Date: 23-Apr 10:48 am
    Attachments: 219803.pdf

Dear Kenneth Grome (Kenneth Grome),

This is a notice that an invoice has been generated on 23/04/2010.

Your payment method is: Credit / Debit Card

Invoice #219803
    Amount Due: $11.94 USD
    Due Date: 07/05/2010

Invoice Items
    512Mb Plan - Atlanta - (07/05/2010 - 06/06/2010) $11.94 USD
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total: $11.94 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $11.94 USD
    ------------------------------------------------------

Payment will be taken automatically on 07/05/2010 from your credit card on record with us.
    After receiving this email (which is typical of the email I get from them every month before they charge my credit card) I had every reason to believe that they would charge my card again this month.

But I got a surprise this morning when I checked my email after being offline for a few days:

Subject: Invoice Payment Reminder
    Date: 06-May 10:48 am

This is a notice to remind you that you have an invoice due on 07/05/2010. We tried to bill you automatically but were unable to because we don't have your credit card details on file.

Invoice Date: 23/04/2010
    Invoice #219803
    When I read this email I couldn't help wondering how they lost my credit card details. Then I noticed yet another email from them in my inbox this morning, dated today at 10:48 am, and here's what the second email said:

Subject: First Invoice Overdue Notice
    Date: 10-May 10:48 am

This is a billing notice that your invoice no. 219803 which was generated on 23/04/2010 is now overdue. Please make payment within 24 hours to avoid possible service interuption.

Invoice: 219803
    After reading this I got online so I could check to see what's going on with their failure to charge my credit card like they promised. But before logging into my VPS control panel I checked my websites ... and they were all offline!

That's when I sent them an email asking them to explain why they had not charged my credit card like they promised ... and why my VPS and websites are offline?

Here's what they said in reply:

Subject: [#GVG-677010]: Re: First Invoice Overdue Notice
    To: kengrome@gmail.com
    Date: 10-May 12:07 pm

You need to log into your Client Area and manually pay any outstanding invoices. We no longer keep credit card information on file, due to PCI compliance regulations. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
    After reading this it became apparent to me that they no longer provide the service of charging my credit card automatically every month like they used to. Unfortunately they never told me about this change in their services, and I would never have learned about it if I had not asked at this time.

In fact, they actually told me they WOULD charge my credit card this month (see the first email quoted above).

But they also failed to answer my question about why my websites and VPS were offline so I asked them again, and this is the response I received:

Date: 10-May 01:50 pm

It would appear that you have an overdue invoice that would cause your VPS to be suspended.
    I thought this was a rather disturbing reply because it was their fault for not charging my card in the first place, and that's why my payment was late.

But what's worse is that they promised to give me 24 hours to pay, yet they shut off my service less than two hours after they sent me their "First Invoice Overdue Notice".

Personally I think it is a rather unfriendly and inconsiderate of a company to turn off a customer's VPS less than 2 hours after they send their first payment notice, ESPECIALLY when it was their own fault for making my payment late!

Since fsckvps has shown such disregard for the importance of my websites, I feel that I can no longer trust them. After all, if they are going to "pull the plug" after they fail to live up to their own promises, how can I trust them?

The most disturbing email I received from them is yet to come. I emailed them and told them it was their fault for making my payment late, but instead of apologizing and/or correcting their mistake (or turning my service on immediately and then giving me more time to pay manually) they simply said this:

Date: 10-May 03:06 pm

Hello,

To cancel your account with us, please login to billing over at https://secure.fsckvps.com/

Then, click "My Products & Services".

Find the plan you want to cancel and click the green arrow on the right hand side of the screen.

Click "Request Cancellation".

Fill out the details then press "Request Cancellation".

Please remember that you have agreed to our Terms of Service. Our terms state that all cancellations must be received at least 1 (one) days prior to your next package billing renewal date. If your cancellation request is submitted less than 1 (one) days before this date, the monthly fees/invoice will be considered due and must be paid before we can accept cancellation.
    As you can see, this email attempts to enforce their "terms of service" by making me pay for yet another month of service -- AFTER they cut off my service because THEY failed to perform as promised!

I cannot believe that any company in this day and age would stoop to such unethical practices as turning off a customer's VPS less than two hours after giving him a 24-hour notice.

But I find it far more disturbing that they are trying to extract another $12.00 from me after cutting me off.

It seems there are all kinds of companies in the world these days, and this is not a company I would recommend any longer. You may want to steer clear of their related companies too (of which there are several) because if they are all managed by the same people they more than likely all treat their customers like this.

This company used to be trustworthy and ethical. I don't know what happened to them. Maybe it's just a big "misunderstanding" but nothing changes the fact that:

1- They stopped their automatic credit card charging without informing me in advance, and I think they had an ethical (if not legal) responsibility to inform me of this change at least a month in advance.

2- They lied about giving me 24 hours to pay my bill and instead they cut off my service less than 2 hours after their email. Or maybe they cut off my service days ago for all I know.

You do know that they was bought out once again right? The reason for them not automatically charging your card could be due to the fact that the company is being tossed around like hot potatoes.

It has been sold what 3 times in the past year? If not more.
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

As Fungleman mentioned above, the company has sold so that may be reason for changes.

Hope things get resolved for you and best of luck in the future!

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFugleman View Post
    You do know that they was bought out once again right? The reason for them not automatically charging your card could be due to the fact that the company is being tossed around like hot potatoes.

It has been sold what 3 times in the past year? If not more.
    Personally I couldn't care less how many times it is sold or who owns it at this time ... because no matter who owns it, they should not be trying to steal money from customers after they themselves screw up repeatedly and cut off their customer's service without notice or warning.

I can understand that they may wish to avoid responsibility by using "change of ownership" as an excuse to treat their customers unethically. But in my opinion that's not good enough. They have no right to demand more money from me when they are at fault, especially when they already cut off my service.

Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Personally I couldn't care less how many times it is sold or who owns it at this time ... because no matter who owns it, they should not be trying to steal money from customers after they themselves screw up repeatedly and cut off their customer's service without notice or warning.

I can understand that they may wish to avoid responsibility by using "change of ownership" as an excuse to treat their customers unethically. But in my opinion that's not good enough. They have no right to demand more money from me when they are at fault, especially when they already cut off my service.
    Well, Most likely your not the only person going through this, The company has changed and will continue to change as it keeps getting sold. Sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Overall it is the clients that are going to take the beating and not the owner(s).

I really feel bad for fsckvps (vaserv) clients though, i mean they are going through a lot of changes because no one can seem to keep it for more than a month before they sell it again
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFugleman View Post
    Well, Most likely your not the only person going through this.
    You're probably right, which makes it that much more disturbing since they are likely doing this kind of thing to more than just me.

The company has changed and will continue to change as it keeps getting sold. Sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Overall it is the clients that are going to take the beating and not the owner(s).
    Or the clients will abandon the company in huge numbers, and then the company WILL take a beating.

I really feel bad for fsckvps (vaserv) clients though, i mean they are going through a lot of changes because no one can seem to keep it for more than a month before they sell it again
    I haven't had any problems until now, but one time of being treated like this is already one time too much. No one should be subject to such disrespectful behavior, especially when it's the company itself that is screwing up.

I'm having billing problems now too. Received a new card from the bank was reported that one of the online shops credit cards were hacked so my bank sent me a new card anyway for protection precaution.

Anyway, I have to new card and have used it plenty of times. Now it's time to pay Fsckvps bill in their WHMCompleteSolution Billing solution. There are two credit card fields "Issue Number" & "Start Date". American credit card does not have an Issue Number and most do not have a Start Date. Contact support and say don't put anything in the Issue Number and Start Date field, which is what I have been doing. Well, 17 tries later and it's not working. So I just may have to let this acct go and start looking for another hosting solution .... BTW which is what we were going to do in the up coming months.

From the looks of it there might have a lack of sync between the automated system and human resources, which I agree completely with you, they shouldn't have sent the automated e-mail.

They are also not completely at fault because the PCI DSS deadline is coming on June 30th and that shows they at least care about your money security (or at least are scared of getting caught).

The PCI (Payment Card Industry) Data Security Standard is a costly standard that will be enforced on June 30th to increase security in online Credit Card transactions. Check the wikipedia for more information.

Update from fsckvps, and it's getting even worse ...

Here's the latest from fsckvps, the people who never stop trying to get money from customers even after they have shut off their service:

Subject: Second Invoice Overdue Notice
    Date: 11-May 10:48 am
    Attachments: 219803.pdf

**As this invoice is now overdue failure to make payment within 24 hours may result in your account being passed over to collections**

Dear Kenneth Grome (Kenneth Grome),

This is the second billing notice that your invoice no. 219803 which was generated on 23/04/2010 is now overdue.

Invoice: 219803

**As this invoice is now overdue failure to make payment within 24 hours may result in your account being passed over to collections**
    How do you like that?

They change their procedures WITHOUT NOTICE and stop charging my card automatically every month.

Then they promise to give me 24 hours after their first notice before they cut off my service, but they cut it off in less than 2 hours.

And now they are threatening to turn my account over to "collections" because they lied to me and screwed up two different times!

What a bunch of dishonest unethical creeps. This illustrates how companies have become so greedy and disrespectful that they can no longer be trusted ... and they are certainly as far from "customer service" as they can possibly be.

Never do business with fsckvps or you are likely to find this same thing happening to you.

"Hey! we are going to turn you over to collections for 11 dollars and some change!"

Just find another host, Clearly they are unorganized right now and don't care about their clients.

The fact that they have turned off the VPS is something that would put me off personally for good. They should give you some time (more than 24h) to pay for the service even if it wasn't their fault in the first place
    European Xen based VPS Hosting
    Linux VPS Hosting | 1Gb Uplink
    Wide range of distribution and turn-key applications available.

Collections over 11 dollars?! Yipes. Better luck with your new provider.

For something like that too happen, it's time to go! I'm right behind you and have already started clearing the server this morning of files we may need. Looking in to Slicehost or Linode and well make that decision later this month. In the meantime rediecting (url masking) site visitors to our google doc explaining we're in the process of moving servers.

Ahhh ... have to set up a server all over.

Its sad to see the company I setup falling apart and I do hope they turn things around
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jhig View Post
    I'm right behind you and have already started clearing the server this morning of files we may need. Looking in to Slicehost or Linode and well make that decision later this month.
    I seriously recommend Linode.
    Both Slicehost and Linode have very similar features but Linode is cheaper by a little and they have never let me down for years.

Quote Originally Posted by rghf View Post
    Its sad to see the company I setup falling apart and I do hope they turn things around
    Didnt know you left rus.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstNetServ View Post
    Didnt know you left rus.
    Not been keeping it a secret but left last month
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rghf View Post
    Not been keeping it a secret but left last month
    Your leaving was the final straw in terms of my decision to not renew at the end of my cheapvps term. Annual payment, I'll be sending cancellation notice a month in advance just in case. Especially after seeing this thread.

I don't think anyone is home. Billing issue day three. Vlad was assisting me and said I would be in touch with Accounts/Billing. I sent more tickets in with no answer, the last ticket asked, "is anyone there"? I've tried every possible combination there is for process the CC but yet nothing works. Bills due tomorrow and I just received a reminder of bill due tomorrow.

What the hell is going on? And to think I boasted about them and referred some business.

Heh. I made a cancellation request a few weeks ago and I just got an invoice reminder just now. And there's no way to submit a ticket since I just get a blank screen whenever I try.

So... I guess I'll just ignore the reminders and see what happens.

They used to be a good host, but now it's just a mess. Laggy servers and now this -- I'm glad I bailed and moved somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohrar View Post
    Heh. I made a cancellation request a few weeks ago and I just got an invoice reminder just now. And there's no way to submit a ticket since I just get a blank screen whenever I try.
    Gotta do it through https://support.vaserv.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dest581 View Post
    Gotta do it through https://support.vaserv.com/
    But their knowledgebase says:

To cancel your account with us, please login to billing over at https://secure.fsckvps.com/

Then, click "My Products & Services".

Find the plan you want to cancel and click the green arrow on the right hand side of the screen.

Click "Request Cancellation".

Fill out the details then press "Request Cancellation".
    <snip>

Source: https://support.vaserv.com/index.php...barticleid=115
    which is exactly what I did.

I've definitely seen a lot of negative reviews about fsckvps lately - its sad to see a company's reputation start to deteriorate
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I agree that it's sad, but when they "do the WRONG thing" time after time it's no wonder their reputation gets destroyed. If the new owners actually cared about their customers they would never treat them this way ... but apparently they have better things to do than to be concerned about business ethics and customer service.

I have been seeing a lot of negative reviews on this company lately, and because of obvious reasons. It looks like they aren't even fully moved over yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast