Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Supermicro X8SIL-F compatible RAM?

We are testing this motherboard out for future use and are having trouble getting RAM that doesn't cause it to throw a RAM error. It does a no RAM beep, has no video, etc.

Supermicro has no compatible sticks listed for 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz DIMM ECC Registered, and we are currently using Crucial CT51272BB1339
    Anyone using this board with 2GB DDR3-1333 ECC and 4GB DDR3-1333 ECC?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Compatibility issue, tried contacting supermicro or their reseller support?
    Portlane Networks (AS42708) - Stockholm, Sweden
    Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Internet/Transit
    www.portlane.com || info@portlane.com

Dear All,

We have had lots of RAM issues with X8SIL-F.
    Not that only x8 modules are supported (take care to x4 samsung modules!), we successfully tested with Kingston KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G.

Quote Originally Posted by Julox View Post
    Dear All,

We have had lots of RAM issues with X8SIL-F.
    Not that only x8 modules are supported (take care to x4 samsung modules!), we successfully tested with Kingston KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G.
    Those Lynnfields take Registered ECC DDR3 or UDIMM ECC x8 DDR3 modules.

One more thing, since it sacrificed one channel of memory controller, you HAVE to use DDR3-1333 modules. The reason why it is not that much slower than the Nehalem-EP is that it is two channels of DDR3-1333 vs three channels of DDR3-1066 (L5520s). If you go DDR3-1066 with Lynnfield, you do start to lose performance and starve the CPUs.

SuperTalent registered unbuffered will go with that board. DDR3-1333

Thats what we used just last week on a server with the same board. We wanted the same as you, 4GB sticks registered and our seller said there where not 4 GB sticks compatible ECC with that motherboard and we should go with a dual board.

I would love to see which ECC ram you find for this in 4 GB sticks since we just went with 2GB sticks because of this.
    Last edited by PYDOT; 10-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Anyone else started using these motherboards yet with DDR3-1333?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Kingston lists both UDIMMs and RDIMMs in 1333MHz for this board. I've got some of the 2G sticks on the way and will probably be able to test the end of this week/early next week.

Kingston

For those that can use ATX size - the X8SIE-F has 6 slots. It can take 6 RDIMMS but only 4 UDIMMS apparently.

We are right in the process of looking to purchase some of these boards, but will definitely watch the memory issue when we do so if using 4 GB sticks on some of the higher end setups.
    NodePlex - Powerful and Customizable Dedicated Servers
    Experienced Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    EasyPro - Professional Website Builder
    The tools and performance you need to build stunning websites

I'm trying to get this board work with Xeon X3440 and two sticks of 2G Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM, receiving no video and no beep.
    is the board DOA?

all nehalem/lynnfield CPU has IMC (internal memory controller) on CPU die. thus, you will need to follow Intel's validation lists:

DDR3-1333 non-ECC UDIMM (unbuffered) for Lynnfield:
    http://www.intel.com/technology/memo...mm_results.htm

DDR3-1333 ECC UDIMM for lynnfield:
    http://www.intel.com/technology/memo...mm_results.htm

DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM (registered/buffered) for lynnfield:
    none validated yet! in fact, no module maker has released any 4G ECC registered DDR3-1333 using 2Gx8 DRAM chips yet. "x4" 2G/4G ECC registered modules are all over the place, but they work with IMC on nehalem's only, not with IMC on lynnfield's.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Any updates or has anyone had any luck with any 2GB or 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM in real world testing that will work with the X8SIL board? I was hoping there was more available to be compatible with this board by now.

You have to use DDR3-1066 for 4GB.
    This is the one we are using now and it works (finally after trying a bunch of others): KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G

Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post

One more thing, since it sacrificed one channel of memory controller, you HAVE to use DDR3-1333 modules. The reason why it is not that much slower than the Nehalem-EP is that it is two channels of DDR3-1333 vs three channels of DDR3-1066 (L5520s). If you go DDR3-1066 with Lynnfield, you do start to lose performance and starve the CPUs.
    But what about this issue if using DDR3-1066 ?

I strongly urge anyone using RAM on a Supermicro board to buy it using Supermicro part numbers.

I have had problems where I ordered RAM and it did not work even though that combination of board and RAM worked before.

When it happened, I had to throw out the RAM and buy new since Supermicro will only offer support if you have RAM with the Supermicro part number on it.

Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    I'm trying to get this board work with Xeon X3440 and two sticks of 2G Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM, receiving no video and no beep.
    is the board DOA?
    Most likely it is the RAM and the board not liking each other. Both are probably fine themselves. See my earlier posting about using RAM with Supermicro part numbers.

I wasn't sure about the RAM, so I removed all the RAM, the board still give no beep, the manual says the board should give no RAM beep if it can't detect any RAM. anyway, i sent the board back for RMA, will wait and see.

Have you tried to see what happens if you just put in one stick of RAM? Use one first and then try the other.

yep, tried every possible combination, same result.

I think you need to get some RAM with a Supermicro part number and try that.
    If it does not work, the board may be bad.
    In my experience, Supermicro will not RMA the board until you try their RAM on it.

Hi Meyu,

I've got two of these boxes running 3440s with the Kingston(KVR1333D3E9S/2G) unbuffered 2GB modules(2 sticks - 4GB each server) and have had no problems. As NeilAgg said could be some kind of mismatch but any way you can test with another board?
    Last edited by Ceetoe; 11-04-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: oopsies and typos

hi Geetoe, i'm using the same memory modules.
    i was suspecting issue with the board is because there was no error beep no matter how i tried, and the board came in with very bad shipping, that's why i sent the board back for RMA. i didn't have another board to test. will see how the RMA goes, if the board is ok then i'll get some Supermicro tested RAM and try again.

with the KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G

I know it is quad ranked, there is mention of only being able to use 3 dimm's per channel with quad ranked, so I assume you could max populate it with 4 of these and not have a problem. Since that would be 2 dimms per channel. Can anyone confirm they have this tested?
    Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
    Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
    http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
    (888) 693-8309

Quote Originally Posted by tshen83 View Post

I really don't think that's true. If you look at tomshardware, they benchmarked real world and synthetic performance of the Corei7 (which the new xeon is equivalent to) with various speeds of DDR3. Going from DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600 (overclocked ram) had absolutely no difference in performance (at most 1%), in every test except the synthetic memory bandwidth test, even in other synthetic tests that usually stress the memory speed. In other words, yes, there's more memory bandwidth at higher DDR3 speeds (as evidenced by the memory bandwidth test), but no, you *will not* see *any* performance difference from the different speeds of DDR3. So save your money and buy whichever DDR3 ram is cheapest / most compatible / most reliable, and disregard the clock speed on the DDR3 if you're using a corei7 or equivalent xeon.
    Last edited by funkywizard; 11-25-2009 at 02:09 AM.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

does anyone try gerneral ddr3 desktop ram 2GB is suitable with the board ?

becuase i hope i can put 4 ones (4*2GB=8GB) on the board.

thanx

KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G is now $137 up from $119...
    This motherboard needs to start getting some more 4GB DIMMs working in it and soon.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast