Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a VPS tutorial for people moving from shared hosting?

Ive been using shared hosting for some time (at servage, hostingplex) things are easy, everything is setup for you, all you have to do is upload the files via ftp , create database from the panel if required , life seems simple.
    Time came for me to move up the ladder due to hosting limitations of shared. I run a simple php sql based imagehost site. I decided for vps as it seemed to fit in my budget, perhaps dedicated in the forthcomming months will be. I found a decent vps host who offered good price & seems to have a good reputation around here (tektonic)
    The unmanaged account is a whole lot cheaper than a managed one, however going through some posts here , i learnt that VPS not really a cakewalk, things dont seem as simple as they were on shared. My needs are though pretty basic a database or two , php support ,webmail etc. Everything was available on shared via a control panel. Im overawed with VPS , a trifle confused as well , i would really like to know what i should know when i get a vps. How will things be different for me , etc . Would highly appreciate if someone sends me in the right directions.

I am looking for such informations as well and to be honest with you, its preferable for you to start with a managed VPS.

Thanks
    Kamal

agreed, but even managed, there are things I'd like to learn how to do..

like, ok, take PHP for instance

I have PHP 4.4.4 currently, but I needed to upgrade to PHP 5, for JSON support for one of the twitter plugins for wordpress, and the author hasn't figured out a way of doing it other then using JSON

so I asked my host to do this for me, but they upgraded me to
    PHP 5.1.4 which is great and all, but no JSON support

I found out by doing a google search, that JSON support is built in to PHP 5.2, but I have NO idea how to upgrade to 5.2 on a VPS, since my host won't do it.

thats just one example of what I mean.

I tried running

pecl install json

from the command line, like they told me to do in the PHP Help channels, but that didn't work, I kept getting an error ./configuring json.1.2.1 during compile time, so I never did get it figured out.

this is why I say, a set of VPS tutorials on this stuff REALLY would come in handy. cuz I have NO idea how to upgrade PHP, apache, mysql, any of that, and I would like to learn, sure, but I have no idea HOW on a VPS, since Virtuozzo /cpanel based VPS's seem to be configured differently, it seems like, then regular dedicated servers, so what works for a dedicated doesn't always work on a VPS, and its frustrating sometimes.

because that 'pecl install json' command from a SHELL prompt, SHOULD have worked.

I mean, this is exactally why I moved from shared hosting to a VPS solution to begin with, cuz the hosting providers, they don't know how to install PHP with JSON support, they have no clue, and its been the same with other modules, so that is why I got a VPS to begin with, so I could install what I want to.

but it SURE would be nice, to have a tutorial posted, on differences between shared vs VPS, or even better yet, dedicated vs VPS, because most things that would work on a home server, or dedicated server, don't work on VPS's, and its aggrivating sometimes.
    Last edited by bubazoo; 08-06-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Your host would upgrade you to 5.1 but not 5.2?

That is a little interesting as it would usually be the same process just with the 5.2.X.tar.gz instead of the 5.1.X.tar.gz.

Did they give you reasoning?

If you've used a popular commercial control panel such as cPanel or DirectAdmin on your shared hosting accounts then it would also make sense to use the same control panel with your VPS as you would already be used to it most likely. Then again, the admin end of a control panel isn't the same thing at all as the domain side eh?

Webmin control panel - secure your VPS

You may want to look into installing the free Webmin control panel. It will help you with a lot of administrative tasks.
    www.webmin.com

Securing your VPS and keeping it secure, so it is your VPS and not someone elses, is probably covered in tutorials here on WHT and in other places.
    Last edited by Lanny; 08-08-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: correct URL

I wrote a small part of tutorial, but english is not my mother tongue so I need someone who can fix all gramma errors. Any volunteers?

PS: file in *.doc format.

mch0lic: Sure, contact me

please write me to mindaugas.bu[at]gmail[dot]com

Sure, done

Let us know when this is done please

For those who need a tutorial on VPS, actually you need to learn the OS administration, a VPS is just like a dedicated server (with little difference though), so if you have a Linux VPS you need to know Linux system administration, working with command line, compiling, installing etc. Same with windows VPS.

Although if you will do a good search you will be able to find good tutorials to achieve things that you want to do, like upgrading/downgrading installed components, installing new components/applications.

And when you are using some control panel, you will have to do things keeping in mind that it should be compatible with that CP.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I need same info

Same here, but I'm moving from Reseller to Managed-VPS

Thumbs up

hi,

If you are moving from shared environment then I will suggest to go for dedicated server rather than a VPS. Choose the OS with which you are well familiar. If you are having the standard control panel like Direct admin , Cpanle , Plesk with shared environment , you can choose the same on your dedicated server that will create an ease to administrate the things with your dedicated server.

A tutorial would be very nice. I have run my own servers... I ran a Red Hat server and a Suse server and they were fun, but they were a bit of upkeep. I could do it again, though, if I had to. I'm looking at VPS now, switching from bluehost.

Me too...trying to find a VPS tutorial for beginner

Writing such tutorial doesn't take much time for those who know how to do it. Actually it depends that what type of setup you have on shared hosting and what type of setup you will have on your VPS. If you will be using the same control panel that you use on shared hosting then the accounts move will be a simple task as all control panels provide transfer/migration functionalities.Usually root access is required for using the migration tools and that you will not get on shared hosting so some manual work is required to transfer everything.

For example, if we suppose that you have cPanel on shared hosting and on VPS you also have cPanel then as you don't have root access on shared hosting so you can't use the cPanel/WHM transfer tool BUT you can generate full cPanel backup for each account on shared hosting and FTP the backups to your server and place the backups in /home on your VPS. On your VPS's WHM, login as root and you will be able to restore the accounts from the backups using WHM >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".

Quote Originally Posted by hdeya View Post
    Same here, but I'm moving from Reseller to Managed-VPS
    I am also looking to do this same thing. My current host said he would do it for me but I think it would be nice to know just in case.

hey i know what all you guys are going through. I started out on shared hosting 3 years ago and recently had my host chmod some of my files to 0000 so i said im getting a vps. Wow was i in for a surprise. First i would like to say i got a wonderful vps provider... i was lost when i got the first email with all the setup info.. Ok cool bunch of ip numbers. wrong wrong wrong. There is no newb guide on the entire net for setting up a vps that just anyone can understand. I never knew.....
    Well i need the tut too please.

Quote Originally Posted by shakybaky View Post
    hey i know what all you guys are going through. I started out on shared hosting 3 years ago and recently had my host chmod some of my files to 0000 so i said im getting a vps. Wow was i in for a surprise. First i would like to say i got a wonderful vps provider... i was lost when i got the first email with all the setup info.. Ok cool bunch of ip numbers. wrong wrong wrong. There is no newb guide on the entire net for setting up a vps that just anyone can understand. I never knew.....
    Well i need the tut too please.
    depends on what you whant to setup on VPS

cPanel have own manual same for linux commands you can use man command or you can search on google .
    DDOS Protected - SSD KVM VDS & Storage KVM VDS.
    http://rackhost.co

i believe this is still a thread for cPanel on here called the unofficial starters guide or similar.

Webhostgear.com has one as well
    I would suggest starting there - check out hte WHM and Cpanel docs / and videos.

finally - if your stuck - and using cPanel - this year in June they have their annual training seminars - $60 plus hotel in Houston i think it is...
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.

You can think about Cloud hosting also for better scalability

Another vote for cpanel/plesk. It is probably only a little bit more and will make life a lot easier. Especially for upgrades related to Apache/php, easyapache in cpanel is a lifesaver. The guy whose host would only upgrade to 5.1 would probably only do rpm upgrades and cents 5 OS still 5.1 rpms.

moving from shared hosting is simple, backup your file and database, then restore to your vps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast