Question server space f/newbie

Hello and I would like to thank each and every one of you all for taking the time to help out like you all are here for making a choice for a hosting company. My story is I run a private site that deals with scam jobs. """ Please see my site in my profile haven't posted enought to post it"""
    I just started it a few months ago and it has taken off more than I had expected it to do. Than I found out my current hosting company is going to stop so as he can use the space and speed for his own needs. I was paying 120. yr for 50 MB and 30. yr for 30 mb mail space for this site. I know but I didn’t know where to go or what I was doing back than. And he was a good friend of mine.

So, I’m looking for a new home to run my site on. I would like to be able to run a bbs board after I learn how to do so. I’m a newbie on this stuff. And yes, I have used the search part of this site and yes I have been reading post on this board for the last 4 days from sunup to nighttime. I just don’t know for I see almost all hosts have a problem sometimes. I understand for I’m in the same business also. Works today, not the next.

I'm looking for a place to call home and stay there. is it better to pay by the month or year??

Her are my or what I like so far. I already have my domain name at godaddy.

lunarpages/// I see great things about this one

p4host/ some good /bad don’t know what to think after reading some about it.

server4youdo you really need a dedicated static ip

.ipowerweb ??????

websitesource ???

mysitespace// a friend recommended them to me. He sends his clients to them. I read they had problems also. He stands behind them

powweb/ I was there or joined the message board to check it out. Than I saw ALL the stories here about them.
    UPDATED/SCUM of Florida
    In Memory of my little brother
    http://genec-lori.com/

As always I would recomend my host : http://oktagone.net.au They have good cheap packages

Re: server space f/newbie

Originally posted by gene c.

I'm looking for a place to call home and stay there. is it better to pay by the month or year??

I say pay by month. Even if the host is highly recommended, you may sign up and discover they just aren't for you or things could go very downhill for the host. It's best to not lock yourself up in a year-long contract that may be difficult to get a refund on.

I've never had personal experience with any of the hosts you listed, so I'm afraid I can offer little advice.
    Ryka
    lost in a sea of experts

hi gene,

i'm a newbie like yourself and i can't find a better deal than the 12 month package from iPowerweb. for myself i need a reliable host for an ecommerce site and they seem well featured for this. the 800megs/40gig is way too big for me but hey, i hope my business grows big enough to need it one day.

hmm, looking at oktagone i'm tempted. are they reliable Aea?

cheers

Thumbs up

thanks for the input. I was hopeing some of the owners would speak up here. I know they all offer a good deal for what they charge. I would also like to be able to run some video/sound streams also.

as you can see I deal with a lot of pictures. I just want to get a server host that has been in the business for a while and will stay their also. I don't need a lot of space. but, I would like to be able to upgrade if need to be done.
    like I said I have been building pages for a side job. so, I'm new to all of this. maybe some of the users of the sites listed will post what they know??

as for not wanting to stay with a host. as long as they try to do the best they can. Than I'll stand behind them when they go down. I'm know all over the web for my word. and I'm also know for not a easy man to screw over. I feel everyone should get a chance to prove why they have gotten a bad rep, here.

if they don't have anything to say back. than hell they should just get out of the business of serveing people space.

if you want my business or would like to deal on this post them here. I have until april with my other host. I just don't want to wait to the last month to change. if you want to mail me off line feel free to do so. I'm ready to deal on this ??

I also have a friend this uses ipowerweb, but, I also saw some bad post about them.
    UPDATED/SCUM of Florida

I'd do a search here on WHT about ipowerweb first! There have been a number of complaints on here about thier service..
    Randall J. Berry
    The aliens tipped Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

yeah i kinda got that impression after my first search. oh well, the hunt is still on.

good luck gene

There are many hosts that can fulfill your needs and that have a good reputation here. Just search the offers forums and check those hosts out as well as other hosts that post here (or don't) for any positive feedback. As far as 899MB/40GB is concerned (towards gamers:fix), you can easily start off at a smaller plan and later upgrade to a bigger plan. This can help you save some money.

EDIT: Also, paying monthly is the best thing to do than yearly. If you quit way before your year ends, you most likely won't get a refund.

Well oktagones ssl expired over two weeks ago, if thats any indication
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    Well oktagones ssl expired over two weeks ago, if thats any indication
    lol. that's a good indication if i ever saw one.

cheers

I would advise paying month to month at least till you get a feel for the host. Most hosts will give a discount if you pay in advance but you want to make sure that you want to stay that long with them. Also, most hosts will allow you to upgrade whenever you need to. By the way thats an interesting site, I have some family in FL though not in the area of of any of the posts on your site.
    NetFuel
    Professional Hosting Services.

yes - dont pay too much in advance.

There are far too many horrror stories of people paying for a years service, and trying to get a refund after the first month

Well, Lunarpages has been around for a long time and no horror stories....they have a good setup and you should be safe paying them a year in advance too.

Thumbs up

they were my first choice from the reviews I saw here. I would like some more input. I also have another question. the space I have now was hosted on a friends home server alone with a few others friends.

so, all I had was server space. No control panel or anyway to know what was going on with the site. and I see some hosting companies have different control panels like
    cpanel. since I have never had one what should I look for in one.

also since I'm dumb as a brick, I would like a user fourm to help me out so as I could try to correct the problems if it's on my end or I need to learn how to do something new or install ??
    UPDATED/SCUM of Florida

Thumbs up

thanks for all your input on this. after I had read here and other places on the web for the best i could find. I went with
    CredibleHost resellers package for the 2gb/30gb linux.

I'm set for a few. Now I got more space them I'll ever need. and I might add if the support is going to be like it was when or before I signed up. Than I know I got the BEST service or deal I could find on the web.
    UPDATED/SCUM of Florida

The only time i would pay yearly is if i have been with the host for quite a while and i know what their services / support are like, also i'd make sure that the venture / website i was going to have hosted was going to last for this year....

Then again, how hard is it to request the host change the domain on the account and point another domain to the nameservers?