* Sago Networks asking for ID

Hi,

Anyone using Sago Networks ? I am shifting from LT and I chose Sago but when i completed the order they are asking me for a Photo ID ... has anyone done this ?

I mean is it safe to do that ? Coz i am paying by paypal and my paypal account is verified so there should'nt be any problem but just confirming ...

Please let me know how is Sago Networks and about this ID confirmation thing.

Thanks.

Lots of companies ask for ID. Other companies I believe do it such as the planet, Hi-Velocity and other big names. If your not willing to send a photo ID then that would flag you up as a customer there not willing to have. If your not going to do anything illegal or wrong then you shouldnt have a problem with it. There was a big thread about this when another customer from another company asked about giving ID.

They probably just want to use it in case you try to do a chargeback, many providers ask for this.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Usually address and phone verification works for paypal members, but providers may have their own set of policies. I have no experience with sago networks, but I believe it will be safe with them.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, High Bandwidth Servers
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

Sago has a good name for themselves and I believe there a big provider. There a reputable provider and im sure any ID you send them will be kept confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapan View Post
    I mean is it safe to do that ? Coz i am paying by paypal and my paypal account is verified so there should'nt be any problem but just confirming ...
    This is one thing I keep not understanding to be honest.

I realize some company requires you to provide an id for credit cards for suspect transactions, but if you are a paypal verified customer, then paypal has verified your identity by THREE different means (code in the credit card statement, random small deposit on your bank account that you have to confirm the amount, and address verification with an utility bill - this is at least the way they verified me in my country) ... in that case why some company would still ask for an id ?

If they don't trust paypal they could simply do not accept it, and just use credit cards and maybe other not-charge-backable means of payment like moneybookers.

If they decide to use paypal then they should trust their verification process!

And btw, what if I haven't got a driver license, and never made a passport to travel abroad ? Should I send them my university id card ? LoL

Anyhow I just read this has been highly debated before as a topic, and I bet the discussion come to the same end : this is of course a matter of trade-offs. That is their rightful policy to lose my business if they do not trust me, and I have no problem with this as long as they give back my money for the not-provided service ;-)

On the other hand If the company is big and reputable enough and i can trust them sending my id, and their service is not easily obtainable at some other company, then I just comply, even if they do not trust me.

The important thing, as a rule of thumb, in my opinion, is trust at less in one way I mean: I can't see how to make business if I don't trust my provider enough to send my passport, and they don't trust me enough to require my id :-D In such a situation of course one should look elsewhere.
    "I want" never gets ...

because the paypal account password may have been hacked ...
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    because the paypal account password may have been hacked ...
    Exactly! There are hundreds of paypal phishing schemes going on all the time. I'm quite certain that even verified users get caught up in them.

Just because your PayPal verified doesnt mean your not fraud.

We have a client at the moment whos been fine for 3 months on a £12.99/Month plan. We are currently fighting a losing battle with PayPal for seemingly a £120 chargeback "Unauthorized". £12.99 x 3 doesnt = £120 unless I am going crazy..

Their address and everything all checked out as we always hand verify VPS orders.

So Sago asking for your ID is nothing to be concerned about, but a good thing infact.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreNetworks View Post
    Exactly! There are hundreds of paypal phishing schemes going on all the time. I'm quite certain that even verified users get caught up in them.
    You're right, that could be a legitimate reason.

Anyway, put yourself in the shoes of a prospective customer. This customer (could be me or anyone else) has been buying without an issue in the past years from SoftLayer, SteadFast, LiquidWeb, Godaddy, via his paypal account, reiceving in the worst scenario a phone call as a verification.
    Then he decides to try a - unkown for him - new company, with a website similar to the one he used to have on geocities back in 1998, and they request an id to be faxed or mailed.
    Well maybe he's going to think twice about it. They could be doing identity theft or whatsoever.

I understand why this could be legitimate anyway as a policy, and it is the provider business to decide what trade-off is most convenient for them.

My opinion is that a photoid is very easily fakeable for a real scammer, considered the huge amount of different countries out there is difficult for you to recognize a real one, so only innocent people get stopped by this policy, and not real professional scammers.

Of course you have a different idea , and i totally respect your policy as well as Sago ones, indeed.

If the OP trusts Sago, which as far as i read in the past years on this forum seems a reputable company, and want to do business with them, should send the id.
    "I want" never gets ...

That's their (Sago's) normal practice. I am a Sago customer, their billing department is very good, imho.

Jaguarpc has a similar policy (I have used them also in the past). I expect many companies have a similar policy. Most merchants here in GA require a picture ID with a credit card at pos.

I expect webhosting companies have a high rate of fraud and implement a system that helps their chances of getting good, honest customers.

Quote Originally Posted by fbroce View Post
    Most merchants here in GA require a picture ID with a credit card at pos.
    1) I guess you show a picture ID, don't let them to keep a copy or a scan
    2) A picture id confirms the association of a face with a name, so it has perfect meaning at pos where you are in person, so they can check the name on the card is the name associated with the picture, which is the same person is handing the card to the merchant: maybe it has little meaning when sent via internet.

In my opinion, but again I am not interested to turn the topic into another endless debate, such a policy like keeping personal customers ids on file - while perfectly legal in the us, I bet - creates doubts about privacy while not actually protecting from fraud orders, as it seems very easy to me to fake a scan or - even worse - a digital photo of an id.

Anyhow as said this is a policy and I respect that, people are of course not compelled to make business with firms they don't like their policies: and I am glad that even with such a recession and the like, they can afford to lose some legitimate customers with policies that won't stop most professional scammers or idiots anyway. Good for them.

If I recall correctly Sago is a provider I remember the name at least since 2004, so being so long time in the business I have no doubt about their reliability indeed!
    My argument was generic, pour parler, just to make things clear. Nothing against any specific hoster, just i fail to see any logic in such policies. Anyway, nevermind. The OP got his answer, is regular policy :-)
    "I want" never gets ...

You get asked for ID for lots of things, it covers their back and you should at least feel they are doing things by the book.

Id be more concerned if they couldnt be bothered
    Damien

Hi,

Yes I understand but as johnny-l i don't really see the point of asking for a picture ID via mail etc. when it can be changed and is very fakeable so the process is going to prove useless when some scam happens.

I have in past bought servers from rackforce, jaguarpc, 1 more which i don't remember, mmhosting, now due to price rise of LT i am shifting to Sago but none of the above ever asked for an ID.

I have been with LT for last 4 yeras. They could have asked my paypal account statement or checked credibility by some other way but picture id is totally useless in my opnion. If you really have to do some verification then do it in some full proof method like: retina scan, thumb impression, voice recording, dna sample etc. (lol just kidding).

Thanks.