Thread: Irc 4 All

* Irc 4 All

We are happy to announce our new exclusive partnership with FOOnet, the leading provider of IRC bandwith. We are offering IRC colocation via the following terms:

149$ per month including all colocation costs and below mentioned:
    20 free IPs (justication needed, ARIN guidelines)
    50 GB of transfer – FOOnet bandwith
    NO CHARGE FOR INCOMING BANDWIDTH!
    You are allowed to use your colocation and bandwith to resell IRCd and Shell Accounts.
    We accept all tower sizes.

Traceroute to: 63.144.86.225

Advanced DoS Protection included (a 150$ value)
    How the DoS protection works:
    A Cisco 10k is colocated at the Qwest Dual OC-12's in Ohio and all of the filtering is done by those. It is nearly impossible (no one has yet to do it) to completely kill the FooNet Network, which is where our IRC network is and your server will be colocated.
    If an IP is hit with more packets than the Qwest network can handle, it is automatically null routed

Please email sales@starhost.hm if you accept our offer but also for any questions you may have. Don’t forget to reply here too if you have any questions so other people will benefit from the answers
    Last edited by StarGate; 07-03-2002 at 09:24 PM.

My trace isn't getting through, and pings are timing out... any ideas?

tracert 63.144.86.225

Tracing route to core-1.foonet.net [63.144.86.225]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 18 ms 17 ms 15 ms me.me [me.me.me.me]
    2 16 ms 16 ms 17 ms dist3-vlan50.snfc21.pbi.net [206.171.134.132]
    3 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms bb1-g1-0.snfc21.pbi.net [209.232.130.28]
    4 21 ms 20 ms 19 ms sl-gw11-sj-3-0.sprintlink.net [144.228.44.49]
    5 19 ms 20 ms 19 ms sl-bb20-sj-8-1.sprintlink.net [144.232.3.137]
    6 * * svl-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.1.133] reports: Dest
    ination host unreachable.

Trace complete.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Well of course. FireWall. Pings are filtered

Sharefile,

What about dedicated servers? Do you guys offer any sort of dedicated servers? I would like to get a dedicated server *IN* the same place as where you are allowing colo (this post)
    But i would need fw protection too.

Do you guys really offer good fw protection?
    what if someone were to synflood you? could you guys take that? stand up?
    (im against dos attacks btw)
    i'm just asking.. becuase i've had my servers dos'ed before, and let me tell ya, it isn't fun.
    its quite lame.
    because from what i hear httpd (foonet) or whatever, has really good firewalling.. so if you were to say.... have a box/server behind their firewall
    i hear you wont really be able to bring it down
    but then again i don't know.

i used to run a few ircds off some of my ded. servers -- for a small network, nothing bad, just a small community.

next thing you know, we are getting dos'ed every minute.
    eventually i had to take the ircds down.
    no matter what ip i would put in the dns pool
    it would get packeted, it was lame and i dont konw why it was happening either

so then i thought about getting a ded server @ Foonet or www.httpd.net. but then i figured

what if i waste $150 or $200 on it
    and find out it still goes down

so i decided to get a ircd shell account
    from jeah.net -- they have servers @ httpd.net
    behind their firewalls
    so i setup ircd on this shell
    everythings goin good...
    Guess what happens? We get dos'ed
    So what does jeah do?
    Instead of say. "blocking" them

They NULL route the ip and call it a day.
    That's it... I got to use my ircd shell account for 5 hours

so im thinking what the hell? Is this how jeah.net handles dos attacks, or is this how foonet (httpd) handles em
    so then i thought
    Wow, if i would of got a dedicated server with foonet..... they would of probably null routed the ip instead of blocking it

which does nothing for me you get what im saying?

If i'm going to get a server with a host who claims to have fw protection

The last thign i need them to do is null route my ip
    Which i could do myself on the server itself

So what do you think? I just want you to know, that this little irc network i ran, it was nothing bad, we didnt cause any trouble, I still dont understand why we would get hit, but it happend, and it caused me to close the dns down.

If i were to colo, or get a ded server (if you guys do that) -- Would you guys just NULL route the ip if the server was getting hit/attacked, or would you actually try to block it, and let that ip, and the ports open on that, stay alive, stay going.. or what?

yay. My post was deleted for absolutley no reason.

Chicken, perhaps you should untighten your belt a notch?

hi

Foonet bandwidth is premium. You get dosd, it doesnt hurt anything. Syn floods, smurf, anything, instantly just knows. VERY smart routing. The foonet owner is a cisco genius.

I've never seen foonet dropped. I'm sure anyone can vouch for that.

Heh ok, well i'd rather hear from sharefile himself, or FOONET.

Simply because I wasted $45 on a jeah.net shell account which did nothing for me (Read above )

I do not want to waste money on a host that will just null route my ip

Could Sharefile, or foonet please confirm this..?

great offer robert.

keep in mind robert's main office is in athens, greece, so, he's 7 hours ahead of US EST most of the time.

Exclamation @all (mostly clocker1996)

We don't offer dedicated servers there yet but it is on shedule in about 6 months.

I don't know what yeah.net does but our main advantage is the built into out offer DoS Protection. If you look at httpd.net or foonet.net you will see that this protection is extra and in some cases even more expensive then the server you get. I guess that yeah.net just didn't spend the money to get it.

The network is running on multiple high speed connections to quad OC-12 dual firewalls on Qwest's OC-192 backbone.
    Null route is only an option if the DoS exeeds this bandwith, something that has yet to happen...

The network is running on multiple high speed connections to quad OC-12 dual firewalls on Qwest's OC-192 backbone.
    What is the actual speed of those "multiple hgh speed connections"? And what a line is connected to (ie. the quad OC-12 TO an OC-192) doesn't mean much, I've learned on WHT. It's the actual line itself that really counts.

Originally posted by PhilKali
    yay. My post was deleted for absolutley no reason.

Chicken, perhaps you should untighten your belt a notch?
    Your post was not just deleted for no reason. I read your (now deleted) post last night, and basically you were bashing the offer of Robert, which, by the way, is against the forum rules.

I don't want to bring up a debate here; let Robert do his business. Read the exact wordings of the rules if you are still unconvinced.

Peter

I only have a second to post, however this is what happens.

An IP is automatically null routed if the attack bandwidth that is
    actually hitting the server exceeds an acceptable level of tolerance on the server itself. It only happens on certain types of attacks, since the firewalls are capable of filtering almost everything. No firewall can 'filter' syn floods without FILTERING syns.. If you filter syns no one can connect, what good does that do? What happens is if certain types of syn floods, at certain ports usually can cause damage to the server (i.e. jeah.net). A p3 1ghz server can not really take much of a syn flood.. I'm sure if your ip got attacked that jeah.net's server probably had a load of 600 on it because of the attack and it probably either
    #1. met our threshhold of acceptable level on the network or
    #2. the administrator of jeah.net asked us to null route it

#1 and #2 both happen quite a bit.. It's just what you have to deal with. If we left the oc12 wide open to jeah.net's server on 100mbps ethernet, anyone could take down his server because the server itself (and this is not limited to jeah.net, this is pretty much ANY server unless it's a $30k server) can't handle it.
    http://www.httpd.net
    Dedicated servers, colocation
    and completely custom plans
    for any need!

I would have a few servers with foonet if their pricing was a little more reasonable.

Also, being in Australia, colocation is not an option.

Just out of curosity, what do you consider a reasonable price?

You get quality hardware (that's what Paul told me), personal support (that's the impression I get about Paul), and world-class DDoS protection? Perhaps you didn't factor these into your reasonableness calculation?

Peter