How Robust is my server?

Can someone here tell me what kind of performance I should expect out of this server?
    I have about 40 accounts. Only 5-6 of them are actually active every day. One of them is a VERY active image gallery and has 300-400 users on at one time.

I have a Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 12GB Ram.

Is it normal to assume a very active site with 300-400 users at a time will overload this system?
    Hosting company is suggesting putting MySQL on a second drive. Is this a good solution for constant system overloads?

Curious.
    T

I think it is a good idea to move your MySQL DB to another drive. Since you have about 300-400 users poking at your database, it is probably using up alot of I/O which might also cause high CPU usage. Placing the MySQL DB on another drive will help speed things up and lower your CPU load as well.
    Hussain Baig - 1-866-954-6747
    Toronto based VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation
    VPS Fusion - Providing scalable and reliable hosting solutions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscanner View Post
    Can someone here tell me what kind of performance I should expect out of this server?
    I have about 40 accounts. Only 5-6 of them are actually active every day. One of them is a VERY active image gallery and has 300-400 users on at one time.

I have a Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 12GB Ram.

Is it normal to assume a very active site with 300-400 users at a time will overload this system?
    Hosting company is suggesting putting MySQL on a second drive. Is this a good solution for constant system overloads?

Curious.
    T
    Image galleries, particularly popular ones, are notorious resource hogs. First off, every pageview tends to have what, 100 thumbnails? A regular hard disk can only read about 100-150 random i/o / second, so in general you'll be maxing out one typical SATA drive with 1 pageview / second. Secondly, a lot of these image galleries tend to use really bloated and inefficient software that's really heavy on cpu / database.

The only sane way to host that kind of site is either put all of it on SSD (if the size needs aren't too great), or put all the thumbnails on SSD and all the large images on regular hard drives. Even then, if it's a really popular site, it'll be using a lot of ram and cpu as well.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Thanks FunkyWizard.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Image galleries, particularly popular ones, are notorious resource hogs. First off, every pageview tends to have what, 100 thumbnails? A regular hard disk can only read about 100-150 random i/o / second, so in general you'll be maxing out one typical SATA drive with 1 pageview / second. Secondly, a lot of these image galleries tend to use really bloated and inefficient software that's really heavy on cpu / database.

The only sane way to host that kind of site is either put all of it on SSD (if the size needs aren't too great), or put all the thumbnails on SSD and all the large images on regular hard drives. Even then, if it's a really popular site, it'll be using a lot of ram and cpu as well.
    I am not completely sure I agree with each page view requiring 1 IOP/sec.... that's where your OS comes in handy and caches to free memory or MySQL keeps the queries cached in the table/query cache. I would recommend that you look at your IO currently on the system at your busiest point of the day with a command like "iostat -d -x -k 1" (use CTRL+C to break out of that command when done) and analyze your total %iowait and how many reads/write/sec you are seeing.

IOFlood - I agree it seems simple that one page view = 1 IOP/sec but really... a single page view could execute 2000 MySQL queries generating lots of IO ... or simply hit cache and generate little to no IO other than what is written to disk for web logs.

Just my 2c
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
    I am not completely sure I agree with each page view requiring 1 IOP/sec.... that's where your OS comes in handy and caches to free memory or MySQL keeps the queries cached in the table/query cache. I would recommend that you look at your IO currently on the system at your busiest point of the day with a command like "iostat -d -x -k 1" (use CTRL+C to break out of that command when done) and analyze your total %iowait and how many reads/write/sec you are seeing.

IOFlood - I agree it seems simple that one page view = 1 IOP/sec but really... a single page view could execute 2000 MySQL queries generating lots of IO ... or simply hit cache and generate little to no IO other than what is written to disk for web logs.

Just my 2c
    It all depends. On larger image boards, the linux disk cache isn't very useful as all of the general traffic amounts to a bunch of noise that will eject the hot items from the ram cache. I.E each 200KB image that gets loaded will eject 20 thumbnail images from the cache, even though that large image won't be loaded again before it is ejected itself. For really big boards, even without this effect, the sheer amount and variety of images being loaded would overwhelm the ram cache regardless. Although a solid cache hit rate will reduce this problem quite a lot, the larger the image board and the more diverse the images being loaded, the closer the disk usage matches the worst case. In general, if you're even bothering to ask the question in the first place, chances are you have a problem here.

The point about mysql is certainly valid as image board software tends to be just as heavy and inefficient on the mysql side as it is on the image side. If you put the thumbnails and the mysql onto an SSD, generally things will perform well, and then your next bottleneck would be CPU, but that tends to happen at a much higher traffic level.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

I agree ... if you can just go with SSD but there are lots of variables I think its impossible to make a complete recommendation without the full hardware specs and more details...

At any rate Funkywizard's recommendation will take you far as most things that are database related or even just high concurrency flakes out at the storage layer first. Good luck!
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Moved > Dedicated Server.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Moved > Dedicated Server.
    Sorry. It is *managed* dedicated so I thought I was in the right place.
    Again - thanks for the responses in this tread.

Definitely agree,that you should separate MySQL to a database server which will increase the performance of your server