Help with my new server

Hey guys, nice to meet you all. what a great forum!

I was browsing on running a small hosting company? And came across this forum.

I bought a Blade server, and I am wanting to run a small site for a few websites. I just need some expert advice on how to set up and where to start, I have done a lot of research, and know quite a bit, but I really want somebody with experience to guide me along.

Here is some specs on my server:

It has 4 Hard Drive slots, only 1 in it 160G
    XP pro service pack 3
    2 xeon CPU
    3.06GHz
    5.75 GB ram
    Intel 82801 ultra storage container

Any help would be great... Thanks a lot.

Setting up a server might be the last step in your business plan. Do you have it yet? What do you want to offer to your customers?

Hi,
    Yes I have the server now. I just wondering the best place to start?

I mean, do you have any business plan yet? What do you want to offer to your customers?

I was just hoping to set up a small company, offer great prices. Not for profit, for hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Articman View Post

I bought a Blade server, and I am wanting to run a small site for a few websites. I just need some expert advice on how to set up and where to start, I have done a lot of research, and know quite a bit, but I really want somebody with experience to guide me along.

XP pro service pack 3
    2 xeon CPU
    3.06GHz
    5.75 GB ram

First suggestion would be to install at least one more hard disk, setting up a mirrored pair / raid 1 volume as it's somewhat vulnerable to failure with a single drive.

Then, get rid of Windows XP Pro and install either a proper Windows Server OS (2003 or 2008 Server Web Edition / Standard), or your preferred Linux OS.

If your starting out new you might want to go an easier root and maybe try some the following:

1) As 'timstephenson' has said install a second hard drive so you can either hardware or software RAID your drives
    2) Install Linux CentOS 64Bit (5.6+ would be ideal to start with but v6 is out)
    3) Install a good working control panel, I would suggest cPanel/WHM - You can get licenses from buycpanel.com for a good price. - Using cPanel will help you know more about hosting sites and the hosting industry as its one of the best and useful control panels we have found. A free one which is good would be Koxo.

Hope this helps, and the best of luck!

Thanks for all the great reply's guys! I will get working on doing your suggestions.
    I am wondering tho? After I get windows server on it, and another hard drive, how do I set it all up so, like a hosing company? So people can come and buy some cheap hosting?

Thanks again.

You might want to set up a website to sell/give away your products Generally speaking it's not always a good idea to host your website on your own servers/network because in the event of downtime your clients/friends won't be able to contact you through it. So might be worth getting a reseller account from another provider in addition to your dedicated server.
    ★Owner of Corgi Tech Limited
    Unmanaged VPS with 99.9% SLA - Windows or Linux

You have ther server but.....

You have a blade server but do you have the switches, enclosure, power supplies and a colo facility?

I think I am going to sell the server? I really dont have the time, I been thinking and i do a lot of coding for people, and building sites. So i will put it up for sale.

What would you think its worth? I have asked a few people, and they say start bid at 1k.

Thank youl

Search eBay for similar pricing. What's the exact processor model?
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

I think I am going to sell the server? I really dont have the time, I been thinking and i do a lot of coding for people, and building sites. So i will put it up for sale.

What would you think its worth? I have asked a few people, and they say start bid at 1k.

Thank youl
    Hey, Your business got closed before starting....

XP pro service pack 3
    2 xeon CPU
    3.06GHz
    5.75 GB ram

Add 3 more hard drives set them up in Raid 10,
    Install centos 6.0 with ispconfig if your budget is low, if not go with cpanel

You haven't even started yet, and now you're planning on selling? That's bad..

Well good luck on getting a good price though.
    www.IskandarHost.com - Affordable Premium Hosting Solutions.
    Provides Hosting since 2010
    cPanel, R1Soft, Easy Website On-the-GO
    Registered company.Vintayge - An Internet Brand.

You haven't even started yet, and now you're planning on selling? That's bad..

Well good luck on getting a good price though.
    www.IskandarHost.com - Affordable Premium Hosting Solutions.
    Provides Hosting since 2010
    cPanel, R1Soft, Easy Website On-the-GO
    Registered company.Vintayge - An Internet Brand.

You may get a couple hundred bucks on ebay for it.

I really wanted to, but things are very busy now for me, and I just wont have the time to put in to it I need.

Thanks everyone tho.