Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: complete newbie

complete newbie

i want to start a webhost - my question is what dedicted server should i get? I would be very greatful if you guys could recommend some great deals of servers/software to get me started. i spoke to someone at rackshack and he said that you split your server into shared drives or smething like that - is this how you host site - and also how can i check that the server i am getting has enough mail servers etc..

i am very confused!

one i was looking at was at
    ev1servers.net/english/value_series.asp

i say the 'cpanel for rehat' option.

i thought this was good cus the processor/disc space etc are ok as i am just starting, and i think this software also contains wht or web hosting software or something?

Will the server mentioned above be easy to setup for different websites?

thanks.

Question, why be a webhost when you nothing about the business?

Sorry to be harsh, but it's a serious question...
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

I agree. The first question you should ask yourself it, "Do I have the skillset to run a business?" I would suggest starting there.

After you have a solid business plan, you will need money. I am not talking about the $250 you got for christmas.

Setting up a business and running it is the hard part, you can't outsource that! You line of business is an entirely different question.

I suggest letting this dream go until you have the skillsets of 1) runing a business 2) knowing anything about hosting.

You have no place running a business if you have to ask on a public forum how to start/run it!

I suggest letting this dream go until you have the skillsets of 1) runing a business 2) knowing anything about hosting.
    Well aren't i lucky! Just so happens that i have owned a self-made (successfull) online business for the last two years. So i know about owning a website, scripting, programming, business in general, internet practices. When i say newbie i mean newbie to the hosting business..

Glad you have that portion under control. Please understand that almost daily people come on here with no experience wanting to host. They end up hosting clients at $2/month and go under in 3 months. That pricing and mistrust by clients is really hurting the industry.

There is no magic anwser to your questions though I am sorry to say. You must research and learn all you can before you can make any opinions of services. As they say "There is no best, only what is best for you"

Good luck...

Im sorry, but there are far too many web hosts who don't really have a clue about the industry, servers and managing/dealing with clients problems.

My advice would be do not start up at least until you have had a few months of working with a test server and getting to know the industry etc...

Too many hosts die after a few months for various reasons, basically centred around lack of research and knowledge. And becasue fo this far too many people think the hosting industry is a get rich scheme.

Its like me saying I want to become an online seller of lingerie. I know all about websites and hosting them, I have the servers etc but I know nowt about the industry....

It aint happening im afraid.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

well what i did not mention is that my hosting will be very very specific, and i will not be offering general hosting. my customers wont have / need access to ftp, and i will be using the same sort of php scripts / mysql databases for every customer that signs up. so, what i need is if a customer signs up, the ability to create a new account. how is this doneon the server in general? i also need the ability to setup a mysql database on their account.

The main thing i am strugling to understand is how i can run so many (1 per customer) mysql databases on 1 server, and how i can set these databases up auotmatically,

also, does anyone uses a rackshack server to host with?

and does anyone use cpanel to host with?

Thanks.

how i can run so many (1 per customer) mysql databases on 1 serve

These qestions combined with your original post tell me straight away that you do NOT know enough about the industry to become a web host.

How can your clients expect support from you, when you do not even know about your data centre, control panels or MySQL?
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

These qestions combined with your original post tell me straight away that you do NOT know enough about the industry to become a web host.
    no **** shirlock!

i am posting here to start finding out about these various things.

i am gonna buy a server, spend a few months fiddling / researching and then see where i get. My question which no one has answered is can anyone recommend a decent server to start with, perhaps the server they are using at the moment..
    Last edited by yabadabastum; 01-19-2005 at 12:25 PM.

What everyone has said is right -- if you don't understand how to have more than one database in mysql, then you shouldn't be offering mysql hosting (for example), since that's a pretty _basic_ concept.

That said -- if you're willing to learn, you might be ok. I'd start with a managed VPS or server. If you want a dedicated, you might check out http://resellerworkz.com/ -- they're a reseller of layeredtech.com, which is good (but unmanaged -- which is definitely not for you). Even better, start with a VPS, since odds are you wont screw anything up.

Of course, even a managed server will be a big deal -- to secure it you'll have to be very familiar with the command line, basic concepts about how *nix works, networking issues (you need to know about ports, TCP, UDP, etc to set up your firewall). If you've never edited a file ending in .conf or .config in a linux environment, you might want to think about whether you're ready for this.

best,
    BR

edited - sorry, stepping out of this conversation. Do not take part in any professional conversations that include swearing.
    Last edited by serverunion; 01-19-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Originally posted by serverunion
    edited - sorry, stepping out of this conversation. Do not take part in any professional conversations that include swearing.
    i agree. dude doesn't seem to take any advices too well. kinda nasty if you ask me.

I would start with a reseller account that you could get from most hosts at around $10 a month.
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com

Here's what you do:
    1) Research. Not technical stuff, we'll get into that later. But research theoretical stuff. How DNS works. How servers work. Don't worry about operating system specific stuff yet.

2) Get a Reseller account. NOT a dedicated server. You don't have the knowledge yet, so don't try. Play around with WHM/Cpanel, taking some of the theoretical stuff you learned in step one (i.e. DNS zones, setting up e-mail accounts) and putting it to practical use.

3) Setup your website. You should have knowledge of this. Setup a merchant account and support desk & knowlege base.

4) Begin accepting customers.

5) While doing this, get a test computer. Nothing major or expensive. I recently bought a p2 450 for $20 at a computer show to play around with. Install Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL. Buy books on each of these. Read, read, and read some more.

6) Setup this "server". Connect it to your home network. Put a few test sites on there. Purposely crash it. Do kernal upgrades. Modify apache, learn. Change settings. Do things remotely, even if it's sitting right next to you

Hopefully, by the time you have enough clients (and believe me, it won't be overnight) to warrant a dedicated server, you'll have enough knowledge to operate said dedicated server. But don't put live clients on a server that you're ill prepared to manage. Don't waste money leasing or collocating a server that you don't need to.

It is possible to enter this industry with little technical knowledge, if you have sound business skills to do so. That, along with the low startup costs is one of the reasons for such a low barrier to entry. That's not a bad thing. It just means that a lot of people don't do things properly.

I myself started with a reseller account. I had been developing websites for years, and had a business minor in college (I've since been working on my MBA), but had little or no server experience. It's quite possible to succeed, but don't overstep your abilities.

cheers dmike, this is more of what i was looking for!
    Get a Reseller account. NOT a dedicated server.
    I assumed that a reseller acount would not give me enough flexiblity - am i right? i.e. when a user signs up, i want to create one of these accounts, and for this signup (on success) to fire off a load of other setup scripts, such as mysql database creation, installing a php cms etc etc - is this all possible with reseller priveleges?

Thanks again,

Originally posted by yabadabastum
    well what i did not mention is that my hosting will be very very specific, and i will not be offering general hosting. my customers wont have / need access to ftp, and i will be using the same sort of php scripts / mysql databases for every customer that signs up. so, what i need is if a customer signs up, the ability to create a new account. how is this doneon the server in general? i also need the ability to setup a mysql database on their account.

The main thing i am strugling to understand is how i can run so many (1 per customer) mysql databases on 1 server, and how i can set these databases up auotmatically,

Thanks.
    Generaly, if you are asking for a script to do this for you - there are a lot.In case you choosed the Cpanel server just stick to whm autopilot for example. It will cost you money ,of course.
    Another , free option, is webmin with it's addon module virtualmin.It will create the magick .. no offense ... database for every customer.
    Creating a database for every customer, isn't so complicated.You just need to create the database, add a user with no permissions and then adjust users permission for the specific database only.
    Assuming you know nothing about php .. go and check about open base dir .. and configure it on your server.Otherwise everyone will mess up with your data.
    And finally, as everyone said, don't do it , unless you know what you are doing.
    Advice is judged by results, not by good intentions.

Cicero 106BC - 43-BC

If you are new maybe start with a reseller or VDS

start with a reseller plan and advertise your websites on adwords.....etc then keep refer a friend or affiliates.

You must offer to your users something like this http://www.hostingplex.com or http://www.lypha.com

I assumed that a reseller acount would not give me enough flexiblity - am i right? i.e. when a user signs up, i want to create one of these accounts, and for this signup (on success) to fire off a load of other setup scripts, such as mysql database creation, installing a php cms etc etc - is this all possible with reseller priveleges?
    Yes, it's possible. You set how many databases the user can create, how many subdomains, etc. All of that is then created/deleted/maintained by the end user.

As for php CMS, get a reseller account that has fantastico included with CPanel. There are plenty of scripts that the user can install with literally a click of the button.

Originally posted by jt2377
    i agree. dude doesn't seem to take any advices too well. kinda nasty if you ask me.
    I agree.

He says he knows about programming/scripting but the questions hes asking regarding programming are fairly vague questions.....

Although saying that I mean no offence if ive judged you im sorry,but Good luck

Matt

Originally posted by Laws
    Question, why be a webhost when you nothing about the business?

Sorry to be harsh, but it's a serious question...
    Oh my god, answer his question! He knows what he is doing!

Ok, I suggest, you don't buy at a hosting site, but on a server hosting site.

How much are you willing to spend, and how much is the bandwidth and storage you want?
    With friendly greetings,
    Reshad Bashir,
    Owner of Tiscana.com
    And of Webhost Top 200

Oh my god, answer his question! He knows what he is doing!
    For what he listed as wanting to do (get a dedicated server), he does NOT know what he is doing.

At that point the best advice to be given to him is to not entire in to something that's over his head. Walk before you run, or you get nowhere.

''

dmike is correct. entering the hosting business will rely on 2 sides.

client side -- which includes, setting business plans, prices, targeting businesses, marketing, advertising, and every possible strategy to get new clients.

server side -- which includes a fair knowledge about the OS e.g. linux, apache, installations, security, updates, and how to keep your server safe, secure, and up-to-date.

remember that's not all, you need to offer a decent technical support to your customers when any problem happens to their websites.

it's not hard but its a matter of studying both sides very well.

Originally posted by S-Comm
    dmike is correct. entering the hosting business will rely on 2 sides.

client side -- which includes, setting business plans, prices, targeting businesses, marketing, advertising, and every possible strategy to get new clients.

server side -- which includes a fair knowledge about the OS e.g. linux, apache, installations, security, updates, and how to keep your server safe, secure, and up-to-date.

remember that's not all, you need to offer a decent technical support to your customers when any problem happens to their websites.

it's not hard but its a matter of studying both sides very well.
    You people do everything on the difficult way...

Why?

Why should he do that, he does NOT ask you people, how he must open a webhosting company

i want to start a webhost - my question is what dedicted server should i get?
    With friendly greetings,
    Reshad Bashir,
    Owner of Tiscana.com
    And of Webhost Top 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast