Lowest price for Akamai content delivery?

Guys, I am trying to get a better understanding of the Akamai reseller market. What is the lowest price you've seen/heard off/paid for Akamai, and at what commit?

Thanks for your input!

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

They are not known for 'lowest price', good luck in your dealings
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    They are not known for 'lowest price', good luck in your dealings
    Yup - I know they cost way more than most are willing to pay. I am just trying to find out "how much"... I am especially interested in finding resellers of Akamai.
    Anyone?

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Gartner seems to think the resellers are "starting at 50 GB for $150 per month ($3/GB), and going up to 1 TB for $2,200/month ($2.20/GB), with storage at $15/GB"(http://blogs.gartner.com/lydia_leong...ibution-cloud/)
    And they list http://failover.distributioncloud.com/pricing/index.htm as an aggressive reseller. Anyone seen Akamai anywhere cheaper?

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Yup - I know they cost way more than most are willing to pay. I am just trying to find out "how much"... I am especially interested in finding resellers of Akamai.
    Anyone?

D
    Don't they have any official information about that on their official web site?
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WebIntellects - Rob View Post
    Don't they have any official information about that on their official web site?
    No it will depend on the sales rep and how "important" you are deemed.

Yes it can be had for lower than $3/GB but not for such tiny commits, what someone else pays isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to you (Even if they are allowed to tell you the price) - it's what you can get it for. So I think the question should actually be what is the cheapest reseller.

Akamai are top dog, they can charge what they like.

I have never actually considered using a reseller for smaller accounts but it might actually be cheaper and better than using akamai directly as their support is horrendous compared to a decent sized account.

Why Akamai..? When there are lot of equally good and perhaps cheaper cdn providers..
    http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...d-list-of.html
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Quote Originally Posted by BarackObama View Post
    Why Akamai..? When there are lot of equally good and perhaps cheaper cdn providers..
    http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...d-list-of.html
    Akamai is the Top Dog, the big cahuna, the rolls royce...
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

I think this would be an interesting service if you decide to launch it. Akamai doesn't seem to want to deal with you directly unless it's roughly $2k MRC. As far as I know, there really isn't much of an Akamai reseller market catering to small deals and not being bundled with other services. I know Verizon has resold Akamai for years, but they're looking a enterprise type accounts. From what I hear, Internap used to be their largest reseller, but that all changed when Internap purchased VitalStream and got into the CDN market themselves. Distribution Cloud, as far as I know, is pretty new and one of the only ones to actually publish pricing, but it's way more expensive than other resold services like Limelight, Internap, BitGravity, etc--10x or more.

If you came in with something more competitive, I think you might find a niche. I have a feeling some people might be willing to pay 2x - 3x more for Akamai (and many do), but 10x more is a bit ridiculous. One thing nice about Akamai compared to some of the others is the ease of implementation; you just need to create a CNAME record, while many of these others requires much more elaborate changes. Akamai itself also seems to be getting more price competitive, at least on large deals and in the short term.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...o-pricing.html
    Last edited by lockbull; 01-24-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post
    I think this would be an interesting service if you decide to launch it. Akamai doesn't seem to want to deal with you directly unless it's roughly $2k MRC. As far as I know, there really isn't a very large reseller market those catering to small deals and not being bundled with other services. I know Verizon has resold Akamai for years, but they're looking a enterprise type accounts. From what I hear, Internap used to be their largest reseller, but that all changed when Internap purchased VitalStream and got into the CDN market themselves. Distribution Cloud, as far as I know, is pretty new and one of the only ones to actually publish pricing, but it's way more expensive than other resold services like Limelight, Internap, BitGravity, etc--10x or more.

If you came in with something more competitive, I think you might find a niche. I have a feeling some people might be willing to pay 2x - 3x more for Akamai (and many do), but 10x more is a bit ridiculous. One thing nice about Akamai compared to some of the others is the ease of implementation; you just need to create a CNAME record, while many of these others requires much more elaborate changes. Akamai itself also seems to be getting more price competitive, at least on large deals and in the short term.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...o-pricing.html
    Agree - there is a market. I am unsure if the SME market can see the value though, and if they are willing/able to pay the 3-4x more for Akamai. There is no doubt that the enterprise market are willing to go down the Akamai path, knowing that they get what they pay for, but do you think the WHT segment would?

And if so - at what price/gb?

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

We spoke with Akamai this week. If you are less than 500GB MRC, they will refer you to a partner. The partner provided us with two quotes, 50GB commit @ $200/mo ($4/GB) and 500GB commit @ $375/mo ($0.75/GB). Akamai is definitely the big dog in this market with the most edge locations and generally best performance. Other CDNs you might consider are Limelight via Rackspace Cloud @ $0.22/GB (CNAME and video streaming not supported), Edgecast via GoGrid @ $0.25/GB, and CacheFly @ $0.50/GB. We conducted some performance tests between these and about 8 other CDNs for 2 months and CacheFly actually came out first, followed by Akamai, Limelight and Edgecast. The results of those tests are available on our blog here: blog.cloudharmony.com/2010/01/bandwidth-disparity-in-cloud.html

Best of luck.

The Yankee Group also published a CDN scorecard report last year listing most of the major CDNs and their rankings (according to their own ranking criteria). In a nutshell, they annointed Akamai and Limelight as the major players, #1 and #2 followed by Edgecast as a mid-major but fast growing CDN at #3. You can find that report if you do a google search on "yankee group report CDNs pdf"
    Last edited by sirius; 01-25-2010 at 08:29 PM.

eming,

I'll let someone else chime in on whether such an offering would be attractive to the "WHT segment." I visit and post here, but it's clear that the WHT is much more budget oriented and small company mom-and-pop type shops than the market I frequently deal with, which is mid to high end managed hosting for larger companies. So I'm probably not a good gauge for that.

I think one logical target for this type of service would be smaller scale e-commerce sites (I know several that I've worked with that would probably be interested in this). These are companies that are typically doing 7-8 figures per year in revenue, have critical uptime needs, know the value of Akamai because all the big guys in their industry use it, but don't push a lot of bandwidth. It's mostly just static edge caching, not video. Video is certainly the more sexy CDN segment in the last 5 years or so, but Akamai got to where it is based on pretty much all the major e-commerce sites using them, as they know that there is a direct correlation between site responsiveness and sales. 3x - 4x other CDN pricing isn't as much of an issue when you're only pushing a few hundred GB per month. These are the same types of companies that spend more money for someone like Internap, spend more money to be in a place like Equinix, etc. And don't under estimate the importance of a simple CNAME setup--I know a few companies that looked at Rackspace/Limelight for their needs, as Limelight is generally considered the next best alternative to Akamai, but the implementation required too many changes to their existing process flow and setup (requiring object buckets with no directory support, no CNAME ability, web-based uploads, etc.).

As far as pricing goes, $4/GB is pretty rich and probably a turn off to many. But $.75 per GB is probably in the ball park where people would more seriously consider it, and that puts it about 3x - 4x more than other resold services like Rackspace/Limelight, Softlayer/Internap, GoGrid/EdgeCast, etc., which are generally $.20 - $.25 per GB. If you're only doing say 200GB per month of transfer, the difference between $150 and $50 isn't a whole lot.

There is more to good quality than just pricing. Just look at all they offer for the $$

Hi Cloudharmony

Hi Cloudharmony,

Could you mention which partner quoted you $200 for a 50GB commit with Akamai?

Thanks for your help

here is the place you get Lowest price

http://www.liquidweb.com/services/cdn.html
    Comcities.com| provide hosting solutions – Since 2002
    Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

The cheapest I've seen is RackSpace CDN, which is just Akamai (or a piece of it) with great prices.

Hi,
    As some users suggested, some Akamai resellers do not offer a full coverage of the Akamai network, they offer only some servers. Racskpace is one of them. Be sure to ask this before buying.
    Regards

Akamai and low prices just don't go in the same sentence. Akamai is very large CDN which provider majority of his audience to FB. You could lookup for another large CDN as http://www.edgecast.com/ (Customers: http://www.edgecast.com/customers/ ) Or just go with Amazon.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support