virtualmin Re-starting DNS server not running! and Failed to start service

When i create a new virtual server i get one of these error:

Re-starting DNS server .. .. not running!

and when i tried to turn on the Bind DNS Server i get this:

Failed to start service : Failed to start BIND : Starting named: Error in named configuration: zone localhost.localdomain/IN: loaded serial 0 zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone digimonrpg.info/IN: loading from master file /var/named/digimonrpg.info.hosts failed: file not found zone digimonrpg.info/IN: not loaded due to errors. _default/digimonrpg.info/IN: file not found [FAILED]

I registered my nameservers and directed the nameservers on my domain on godaddy, but can't get the domain to work on the newly installed virtualmin... can anyone help?

Thank you

1. You can use Godaddy's DNS and just point A entry to your VPS.

2. Use Recheck virtualmin configuration, it will probably tell you the problem with Bind. Generally it requires addition of 127.0.0.1 to the configuration.

Ishan
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Hello Ishan,

I've done everything i'm supposed to on godaddy by registering the nameservers on the registrar and directing it to my vps.

As for the second one I am unsure of how to do that.

Can you assist me with this personally? I will pay via-paypal. I've been at this for a week and getting tired.

Thank you

/var/named/digimonrpg.info.hosts failed: file not found
    Have you checked if the configuration is correct? Do you have that file properly setup? Seems that named.conf lists the file in a zone section but the file is not there.

Hello,

I'm not too sure on how to set that up. I just followed the guides provided to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubzsU2hEfuw

Everything worked fine in the guide, but I seem to have issues.

I'm running CentOS 6.2

I'm a complete newbie at this. It took me days to figured out how to successfully installed virtualmin.

thank you for replying..

The basic tutorials are good but you need to understand the configuration scripts too. Look around for posts how to setup the /etc/named.conf file. There are zones sections in that file that point to zone files. If that info is incorrect bind won't start. For instance:

Code:
    zone "example.com" {
    	type master;
    	file "/var/named/example.com.hosts";
    	};
    Then there should be a /var/named/example.com.hosts file containing the actual dns info.

Oh I see. I will look around for info on how set up the name.conf file. Thank you again for your help.

By default, Virtualmin installs DNS service (bind) in your VPS, but this does not mean that you need to use it. You can use your registrar DNS service. Thus:

- - Reset nameservers in your registrar. Create an A record at your registrar for your hostname and each of your domains.

- - Disable bind - Go to Virtualmin-> Manage Enabled Features and Plugins... uncheck "BIND DNS domain" in the table… click save button.

- - Add new virtual server for each of your domains.

That was actually the fist thing I tried, but didn't work.

1) Went to godaddy, reset my nameservers in registrar, and directed the domain to the nameservers again.

2) Disabled Bind by unchecking it on my virtualmin.

=/

Quote Originally Posted by digimonrpg View Post
    That was actually the fist thing I tried, but didn't work.

1) Went to godaddy, reset my nameservers in registrar, and directed the domain to the nameservers again.

2) Disabled Bind by unchecking it on my virtualmin.

=/
    I went into diagnostic view and found out these vital error under my domain:

Nameserver Availability
    Critical! Visitors may not be able to access your site. We could not find any nameservers for your domain.

Web Server Availability
    Information: We were unable to communicate with your Web server. Please verify your DNS and Web server are properly configured and accessible from the Internet.

I'm not too sure what is going on.

I think you got it wrong…

On the Go Daddy Control panel, you have to use the GoDaddy nameservers, not the nameservers you created (I do not have an account with Godaddy, you will need to ask them what their nameservers are). Then add a A record for your domain (on the godaddy control panel!) and wait until the DNS to propagate (may take up to 48 hours).

If you are using Go Daddy to manage your DNS you set your nameservers to the parked nameservers then edit your DNS using the Zone File Editor Go Daddy provides.

To set your nameservers to the parked nameservers

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
    2. Next to Domains, click Launch.
    3. Select the domain name(s) you want to modify.
    4. From Nameservers, select Set Nameservers.
    5. Select: I want to park my domains — This option parks your domain name on our parked servers. When someone opens your domain name from a Web browser, our default parking page displays.
    6. (Optional) If DNSSEC is available for the domain name's extension and the domain name is hosted with another provider, you can click Manage DS Records to set up self-managed DNSSEC. See About Self-Managed DNSSEC for information.
    7. Click OK.

To access the Zone File Editor to change your DNS:

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
    2. Next to Domains, click Launch.
    3. Click the domain name you want to update, and, in the DNS Manager section, click Launch.
    Mike

How would that work exactly? Don't I have to pin point the nameserver to my VPS for it to recognize it? If I use the godaddy nameservers, then wouldn't it pin point to their host instead? I'm somewhat confused sorry.

From what I was instructed, use godaddy's registrar and register the given nameservers on there (ns1 following the given ip, ns2 following the given ip). Once it has been propagated, set the nameservers for the domain so it tells where the domain is directing to.

=/

How would that work exactly? Don't I have to pin point the nameserver to my VPS for it to recognize it?
    No. You pin point the nameservers to the DNS server(s).

Nameservers -> DNS server(s) -> IP of your VPS (via A record)

If I use the godaddy nameservers, then wouldn't it pin point to their host instead?
    No, you pin point to their DNS servers.

From what I was instructed, use godaddy's registrar and register the given nameservers on there (ns1 following the given ip, ns2 following the given ip). Once it has been propagated, set the nameservers for the domain so it tells where the domain is directing to.
    Do this if you want host your own DNS server (not recommended).