* Looking for Cheapest VPS hosting.

First
    Hi to WHT:
    I am new to webhosting & VPS thing. I just want to get kick starting with VPS. I want cheapest VPS in whole internet. I don't care about hardware. I only need Handson experience.
    I am looking for something from 10-15$ per year. So far with google I have found Below listed VPS hosting service. I want you guys to post honest feedback.

• FastVPS
    • Hostitek
    • 123Systems

All are below or equal to 15$ per year.

Any help would be appreciate. I am sorry I have to switch to cheapest available because I don't want to mess up my investment.

Thanks

hello kiano and welcome to WHT.

I just want to know if you have any experience with VPS and with Linux at all. As far as i can understand you will get a linux based vps cause of your low budget. If you want to host something like a website it will be better to get a cheap web hosting package with a control panel like cpanel, plesk that will help you manage your website.

From the providers you mentioned i only know 123systems. You can find some reviews by using the search function of wht
    SnelBit.com - Internet Services!
    Shared Web Hosting | VPS Hosting | Europe VPS | SSD Dedicated Servers
    Innovation - Professionalism - Dedication | Simple reasons to choose us for being your Hosting Provider!

in that price range and as it's only for experience have a look over at http://www.lowendbox.com/ for the cheapest of the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by xbhosting View Post
    hello kiano and welcome to WHT.

I just want to know if you have any experience with VPS and with Linux at all. As far as i can understand you will get a linux based vps cause of your low budget. If you want to host something like a website it will be better to get a cheap web hosting package with a control panel like cpanel, plesk that will help you manage your website.

From the providers you mentioned i only know 123systems. You can find some reviews by using the search function of wht
    Thanks for warm welcome.

I have got no experience in Linux VPS. I don't want to use it for Hosting either. I just want to give a try get some experience out of it.

123Systems is good.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Be aware that $10-$15 a year vps systems will almost consistently have 128mb ram, more rarely 256, never more that I've seen. This pretty well limits the things you can test on it.

I'm using Hostitek and 123systems for 11-12 months. (For that price) i have nothing to complain.
    LowEndStock.com ★ Budget VPS Stock List & Comparison Table!

Quote Originally Posted by kiano View Post
    First
    Hi to WHT:
    I am new to webhosting & VPS thing. I just want to get kick starting with VPS. I want cheapest VPS in whole internet. I don't care about hardware. I only need Handson experience.
    I am looking for something from 10-15$ per year. So far with google I have found Below listed VPS hosting service. I want you guys to post honest feedback.

• FastVPS
    • Hostitek
    • 123Systems

All are below or equal to 15$ per year.

Any help would be appreciate. I am sorry I have to switch to cheapest available because I don't want to mess up my investment.

Thanks
    That's a joke right? $15.00 a whole year...

So you want a vps just to run pings to google.com and execute some clear screens

If you don't have budget don't go with a vps, what you will get will not work right.

Create a virtual machine in your pc or mac with VirtualBox (free) or VMware (Free), and install a centos 5 or 6 iso (Free).

That will actually be BETTER! You will not waste 15 dollar and you will get a full vps , yeah a vps = virtual machine ...

Hey is just for experience right! ?

Otherwise:
    Get managed if you don't have any experience, what if you break it? ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post

So you want a vps just to run pings to google.com and execute some clear screens

If you don't have budget don't go with a vps, what you will get will not work right.
    Ignorance is bliss.

You can get quite a lot for $15/year these days and the quality rivals that of some $15/month providers.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.

You can get quite a lot for $15/year these days and the quality rivals that of some $15/month providers.
    Yeah I guess that your offer with 64MB of ram for 15.90 a year will do the trick right ? ^ ^ Yeah right!

Do a virtual machine

Exclamation

Yeah I guess that your offer with 64MB of ram for 15.90 a year will do the trick right ? ^ ^ Yeah right!

Do a virtual machine

Yes, it sure will.

Joe is right, with optimization there is much you can do with a VPS, 64MB you will need optimization, but 128MB is plenty for a website or two with PHP and SQL, and a couple other things.

Lowendbox has an EXCELLENT 64MB VPS optimization post that I recommend you check out.

So you want a user that is new to vps and that is paying to do an "optimization" ?

^ ^

For $15/year, I think Buyvm.net is the best. But you'll need to wait until they have stock. I've had one since Aug. 2010 that I mainly use for a VPN, and some testing.

Of the others on your list, I also had a 123systems vps for a year that was ok, but that was awhile back (Sept. 2010-2011), and it was a more expensive $21.60/year plan.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-yo...mb-link-1-vps/

If they follow that guide then I'm quite sure they could figure it out, however I do agree with you that a new user might have some issues, I'm sure the host could help them out with those minor things, I for sure would not mind.

Do a virtual machine
    The person is getting a VPS to learn with. Linux commands work no matter how much RAM you have. I know that most users who are unfamiliar with Linux need 512MB of RAM to do anything, but users who are familiar with Linux know and appreciate its potential. I'm currently running a webserver, pptpd, XFCE4, and VNC on a 32MB VPS without any issues. That being said, most of the providers he listed offer at least 128MB of RAM so he has even more possibilities.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

1) 123systems.net is a great provider.

2) If you've never used linux EVER, I highly suggest getting a Windows VPS instead (which are much more expensive though) or at least a managed package (again, more expensive). Otherwise, there is a STEEP learning curve and most people give up. If you didn't know this already, the vast majority of us do not have a UI for our linux VPS'....we do everything via command line (like command prompt in Windows).
    613websites.comCanadian Hosting and Web Design
    Reliable, fast, customized, and secure hosting!
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Support | Money Back Guarantee
    Visit www.613websites.com or call 1-800-636-1484

I have two low-end VPS. One from UBServers where I paid about $25 per year (pre-discount) and the other from AlienLayer ($12 p.a.).

I don't want to talk about the AlienLayer VPS for obvious reasons but the UBServers VPS is noteworthy.

- It does have occasional & random downtime.

- It offers 128MB RAM & 25GB space

- I've installed Centos 6 32 Bit

- Its powered with Centminmod auto-installer (nginx + memcache etc)

- I've installed wordpress, mariadb (mysql) & phpmyadmin

- I use it to house my low-traffic website and also as a back-up store house for my production sites.

- Its performance is as follows:

Code:
    [root@abc ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 18.1943 s, 59.0 MB/s
    [root@abc ~]$
    Code:
    [root@abc ~]$ wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-04-24 19:40:54--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â100mb.testâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 72.3M/s   in 1.4s

2012-04-24 19:40:55 (72.3 MB/s) - â100mb.testâ

[root@abc ~]$
    Code:
    [root@abc ~]$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           128        121          6          0          0         90
    -/+ buffers/cache:         30         97
    Swap:          128         53         74
    [root@abc ~]$
    Frankly, the performance is better than what I have paid for more expensive plans. Also, support is quite fast.
    Last edited by investorz; 04-24-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Do a virtual machine
    I don't know what the fuss is over having so much RAM!

Back in the mid 1990's, My most powerful server back in the day had a massive 32Mb of ram and it was an incredibly capable box.

It ran: a web server, a mail server with ~1000 accounts, 128 Serial Ports with Modems. Did I forget to mention that this was a 486 DX4 100 Processor - about 1/8 the processing power of of the average I-Phone.

So yes, 64Mb is a bit of an overkill for a VPS
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    So yes, 64Mb is a bit of an overkill for a VPS
    Oh yes, I remember my computer back in 1990s, the powerful Amstrad 286 with 2Mb of RAM and huge 20Mb HDD.

However, these days software developers trend to assume every computer has unlimited RAM and all the rest. So yes, much RAM isn't luxury any more.
    IT blog is under reconstruction, please standby
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network Monitoring Tool - contact me for coupon code to get discount

Create a virtual machine in your pc or mac with VirtualBox (free) or VMware (Free), and install a centos 5 or 6 iso (Free).

That will actually be BETTER! You will not waste 15 dollar and you will get a full vps , yeah a vps = virtual machine ...

Hey is just for experience right! ?

Otherwise:
    Get managed if you don't have any experience, what if you break it? ! ! !
    Thanks for rude reply . I don't want high end geeky VPS for myself. I own Master Reseller for Hosting(offshore & Onshore) for your information. I don't want to get VPS for WHM & WHCMS, MYSQL, Apache or whatsoever service can I install in a VPS Box. I just want to have test of it.
    Between I know more then doing PING to Google.

So you want a user that is new to vps and that is paying to do an "optimization" ?

^ ^
    Yes! exactly safe investment theory. I don't want to jump in pitch without knowing the depth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soolian View Post
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-yo...mb-link-1-vps/

If they follow that guide then I'm quite sure they could figure it out, however I do agree with you that a new user might have some issues, I'm sure the host could help them out with those minor things, I for sure would not mind.
    Thanks for that man!.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks to everyone for comment. I am trying vpsdeploy I will post feedback about this VPS provider.
    Last edited by kiano; 04-24-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

It's really better to install virtual box and create a vm there then buy such a low-ram vps from some provider. Many things simply will not work.

Just wanted to say, that having a cheap VPS with low memory is actually good for testing things. If you can get it working on a "weak" VPS, then it will work great on a production quality VPS or a dedicated server.

Here's my current memory usage on 192MB VPS I have on 123systems.net:

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 393216 25756 367460 0 0 0

This is running apache.

One thing to keep in mind with low end boxes is to keep your uptime expectations low as well.

16:11:32 up 44 days, 13:57, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I have been very happy with 123systems.net for last 9 months, but in the first month of having the service, they suddenly changed IP to a completely different block and destroyed my first carefully set up instance with no warning.

So these kind of boxes should be used for play and testing not for serious stuff.