Picking a user name for host gator that's not "admin"

Hey guys,

I had a what is probably a simple question for most of you, but since I don't know SEO all that well yet I figured I'd ask you people.

I heard that when picking your user name on a hosting account such as host gator, Instead of using a name like "admin", using the URL or name of your actual site would help out with SEO. Is there any truth to that?

I've never heard anyone say this till about a week ago and found another lady on you tube that mentions this too.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Hey guys,

I had a what is probably a simple question for most of you, but since I don't know SEO all that well yet I figured I'd ask you people.

I heard that when picking your user name on a hosting account such as host gator, Instead of using a name like "admin", using the URL or name of your actual site would help out with SEO. Is there any truth to that?

I've never heard anyone say this till about a week ago and found another lady on you tube that mentions this too.
    This is sounds absolutely ridiculous to me (no offense to you @lost intended). How does a search engine even know the linux username to your account? Short of the site creator placing ~username links on pages or leaving phpinfo pages sitting around, I'm unaware of how this is possible.

Email is a little different, some setups will expose the linux username there - but that isn't relevant for SEO.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

User Name impact on SEO?

Hello Lost,

I've been dealing with issues with SEO for a few years now, and it's even more important for our technical support articles that we publish in the host that I work for. However, I've never heard of the account USER NAME playing any type of impact with Search Engine Optimization. Keywords, domain name, search terms, meta tags, descriptions, and CONTENT are some most important factors, but not the user name. Google is big on placing good, unique, useful content as their priority in ranking you for their search engine. If you want a great beginner's guide on SEO, check out Moz.com (I'd give you a link, but I can't yet). They're a great organization whose primary focus is SEO. You can also go to the Google Webmasters Guide and search for SEO and they'll provide plenty of information on the matter.

I hope this clears up the question for you!

Regards,
    Arnel C.

That definitely answers my question.

I appreciate your response. I too thought it was difficult for a search engine to know this type of information, but I also wondered if this was some type of inside secret people knew about to boost searches.

Thanks Guys, I'm learning day by day.

Since a search engine would never see your user name, there is no way it would matter. Even if the SE did.. I don't see how it could be of any consequence.

WTF? What does SEO have to do with selecting the admin account?

The questions around here get stranger and stranger.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I don't know where did you get that, but seems it was joke. But for security measures better not to use admin or root usernames

I've never really used hostgator, they're too picky about 1 account per IP (which is a pain for people with multiple email addresses, who want to separate their stuff), but I can't see how that'd make any difference in terms of SEO. Are you sure they weren't talking about your wordpress login (which'd make more sense, although I doubt it would make a difference in terms of SEO, just make your site look better to users)

Some people can get so worked up about SEO.
    You can sometimes recognize them by their *Mulder and Scully looking for aliens* faraway look when they talk to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Hey guys,
    It shouldn't matter what type of username you use for your account. it will in no way affect your seo rankings. Besides google shouldn't be knowing that kind of stuff anyway.

Your username should be private and not public to anyone else.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Re: Picking a user name for host gator that's not "admin"

Maybe people are confusing word press security with seo.
    Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

I think that it has nothing to do with seo. It's just username.