Once uppon a time was a web hosting board where everyone (almost) was friendly, where people would think before reacting.

Some day, some people made the board popular and it became used by a lot more people than before. Because of that, the number of dumb-ass increased as well. Because of that, people no longer thought before writing and simply ranted over rants of rants.

Now, strict rules will not solve this (there are many people that don't read them or simply don't care about them). You can't really restrict the popularity either.

The membership can help, I really believe so.

It is definately annoying for those coming in for a quick question for the first time. But one that find help here will most likely agree to spend 5 minutes to regiter to this board. And old-timers won't flee, they wills tay and help as they did before.

Is it me or does this sounds a bit like webhostingtalk.com?
    Félix C.Courtemanche · webmaster@can-host.com
    Can-Host Networks · http://www.can-host.com
    web«cp Control Panel · http://webcp.can-host.com

Cool

I have to agree.... registration should be required, it only takes a couple minutes.

Post Spin Spin Suga...

Ok, I'm getting a little dizzy with all the moderator posts and this one is short so I'm sure people actually read it. Those long posts get a bit on the annoying side to read.

My opinions (like anyone asked or needed to know them):

1. Registration is just something that should be done. Make it more of a good sounding thing for registering though. Such as "Hey, you get your own signature if you register!"

2. One of the ideas I saw in one of the other threads (I'm too tired to read through 20 pages to find it again right now) was to fix this board up so guests could start a new topic but not reply unless they registered. While this does encourage registering, it still leaves things open to a flamewar bursting from a started topic. Besides, they could always do what one of these many little threads have done and just carry a conversation onto a new topic and make people (like me!) dizzy trying to keep up with what the heck is going on.

Ok, I'd better stop now. I don't want to make someone skip over everything I've said because it's too long. Just opinions, slash them if you wish.
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

Talking

Registration should include requiring two forms of ID and a permission slip from Mom.

Originally posted by alchiba
    Registration should include requiring two forms of ID and a permission slip from Mom.
    Two forms of ID? Last time that was discussed...

There are going to be a few changes made which will attempt to curb the trolls. Overall I still think that for the most part, for most of the threads, 99.9% of the conversations here are helpful and friendly.

Chicken, I'm certainly no expert on boards [I do moderate on two of the currently-under-revision HotsScripts.com forums]... but I did some serious prowling around last night, so maybe I'd know what I was talking about for a change.

I must have hit around three dozen boards.

Not one of them would let you post without registering. Of the dozen or so I registered with to see how they worked, five required confirmatory e-mail response.

Food for thought...

I think instead of discussing what new rules should be made, we should make a rule which WILL be enforced saying that threads like these which has no serious content will be immediately deleted. People, please get some lives.

Post lol

But lives take so much effort... and my rear is already bonded to my chair. Anyhow, the whole point of a general discussion forum is to discuss things even if they don't have any "serious content". Sometimes people just need to let things out or spend some time exchanging thoughts on events.

All work and no play makes Justin a dull boy...
    All work and no play ma... you get the point.
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

Originally posted by johnny101
    I think instead of discussing what new rules should be made, we should make a rule which WILL be enforced saying that threads like these which has no serious content will be immediately deleted. People, please get some lives.
    *looks confused*

I thought I posted this in the General forum, where you can talk about anything?

You even talk about people talking about what you can talk about. Errrr... I think I've read too many of etLux's posts. Starting to rub off and make sense to me now. Scary

I appreciate the fact that you apparently have discovered a fundamental engenderment in the cascading philosophical ramifications of various discoveries explored in the instantiations of remarks rendered variously as either concatenative but vigorous syllogisms or sheerly absolute dissertative eventuations of possibilities; however, there is no existentially evidentiary validative proliferation of essential meaning in them, either implied or intended.

Cool

etLux, nice use of complex english.....

Thanks. I wonder what the hell it means.

I tried babelfish but they didn't have an etLux>English

Try an injection of translator microbes.
    Ocean View Host - http://www.OceanViewHost.com
    Affordable web hosting and E-commerce solutions for any size business.

Is Etlux a lawyer?

Yes, you should have to register and confirm your registration with a valid email address.

Like someone else said, if you can't take 2 minutes to register it certainly says something about what you'll contribute to this board.

Originally posted by tabernack
    Is Etlux a lawyer?
    For the record, I absolutely am not now, nor have I ever been or wished to be, an attorney-at-law; nor do I wish to imply or infer that my abilities or knowledge extend in any way to the interpretation, execution, or deliberation of matters of law: however, it would be an inexculpable pretermission on my part to fail in mentioning that, not infrequently, I do need to retain an attorney to interpret my own posts -- possibly including this one.

Post Strange idea that might help

Of course it's a strange idea, it comes from the Great White North, eh?

Annnnnnnnnnnywayyyyyyy...upon looking in my Windows-->Cookies directory, I noticed that webhostingtalk.com stores User IDs as cookies on the machine. My idea is to have those cookies retrieved and searched against a "blacklisted" ID database where the IDs of users who have posted spam/inflammatory messages/etc. If the cookie matches one of the IDs, that user is no longer allowed to post.

The reason I don't suggest a valid email address is because free email accounts are too easy to create, put fake information in and use for one-time purposes. Some of them (Hotmail for example) allow you as many free email accounts as you know what to do with. And it wouldn't be fair to prevent a user with a hotmail account from registering, since the majority of Hotmail users, like the rest of us, are good people.

Now I do realize that a savvy computer user could delete the User ID cookie, then reregister as a new poster without anyone being the wiser. However, this is, in my humble opinion, a far less likely alternative.
    Spider John the Robber Man...long tall and handsome...
    Ontario Events from Regional Shows

The point is not necessarily to trace people with their e-mail... but taking the time to register a new e-mail to set up a new account on a board to say useless stuff... is MUCH longer than simply hitting 'del' in your cookies directory