Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VPSHive by Gigenet has Launched

Here is the announcement email:

Hello,

We want to say "thank you" to all of you helping us to bring VPSHive to this level.

As of noon today, VPSHive is available to the general public - we have gone LIVE!

Beginning Monday, January 25th, you will be able to convert your accounts from your Beta account to a Regular VPShive account.

You will receive a separate e-mail about the sign up and conversion on Monday January 25th.

Again, thanks to all of you for your participation in our beta program.

Thanks,
    VPSHive Team
    http://www.vpshive.com/

and its expensive. You have to pay for 512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB SPace for $45/month.

It's like paying for a Wiredtree/ServInt VPS already.

Quote Originally Posted by flyah View Post
    and its expensive. You have to pay for 512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB SPace for $45/month.

It's like paying for a Wiredtree/ServInt VPS already.
    I agree. You could get a managed vps w/ more bandwidth (+ control panel) from ServInt.

I have been playing around with the VPShive beta. The performance has been great... along with the network. But, while fair, the pricing isn't exactly inspiring. Actually, the specs/pricing is almost identical to slicehost.

However, the cpu power appears to be better w/ VPShive vs. slicehost.
    Last edited by mainpipe; 01-22-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    I agree. You could get a managed vps w/ more bandwidth (+ control panel) from ServInt.

I have been playing around with the VPShive beta. The performance has been great... along with the network. But, while fair, the pricing isn't exactly inspiring. Actually, the specs/pricing is almost identical to slicehost.

However, the cpu power appears to be better w/ VPShive vs. slicehost.
    Well, even if the port speed is 1GBPS, I think they should have given at least 500gb minimum on their $45 Plan. Servercomplete offers 1024MB/40GB Space/450gg Bandwidth/ Xen for the same price of $45 and they have 100% uptime as well.

Btw, I like VPShive's panel. The speed is decent here in Asia and the vps is stable. But their pricing is way too high!

There is a grammar error on your homepage:

White label Control panel for reseller's and there clients
    should read
    White label Control panel for resellers and their clients

there are lots of good reviews for the vpshive from beta tester, $45 is more expensive than I espected

I tested it briefly - it was nice but for that pricing you can get managed services with similar or better specs at top VPS providers so passing on this one.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

I actually think you guys overpriced your services on this one.
    Thats too bad.

It's unfortunate that it is so difficult to quantify the value of reliability and service, because given all of our experience with Gigenet, $45 seems like a very reasonable price to pay for a decent VPS plan with a company that manages their affairs and their clients so well.

Is it really just a numbers game to you all? Is the entire value of a purchase located in the hardware, or do you suppose there's something more to that pricing? Think about it, because a host that treats its customers as well as Gigenet and is so committed to a solid infrastructure should not be subjected to quibbles over a few bucks here or there. You come to appreciate the value of something when you discover part of the reason you are successful is because your upstream providers give you a successful hosting environment.

If you want to bash a company over a $45 price tag, you'd better have more to say about them than "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB SPace." So much isn't being told when you boil them down to mere numbers like this.

Yes, it pains me when people simply say, I can get something similar for cheaper. People, you can ALWAYS get something cheaper. So what? That fact, since it is ALWAYS true, simply has no real bearing on the situation.

Heck, if I switched hosts every time a cheaper one came along, I would have been kicked off WHT LONG ago
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    It's unfortunate that it is so difficult to quantify the value of reliability and service, because given all of our experience with Gigenet, $45 seems like a very reasonable price to pay for a decent VPS plan with a company that manages their affairs and their clients so well.

Is it really just a numbers game to you all? Is the entire value of a purchase located in the hardware, or do you suppose there's something more to that pricing? Think about it, because a host that treats its customers as well as Gigenet and is so committed to a solid infrastructure should not be subjected to quibbles over a few bucks here or there. You come to appreciate the value of something when you discover part of the reason you are successful is because your upstream providers give you a successful hosting environment.

If you want to bash a company over a $45 price tag, you'd better have more to say about them than "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB SPace." So much isn't being told when you boil them down to mere numbers like this.
    Excellent post. 'Numbers' rarely tell the whole story -- or even part of it! And that's true not just for hosting, but throughout society (cars, computers, stereos, and even property). Ultimately the value of something is reflected by the amount someone is prepared to pay for something.. and I suspect many will be quite satisfied with Gigenet's offerings! There are many English idioms that touch on this subject, and sadly all too many posts on WHT that reflect it.

If you want to bash a company over a $45 price tag, you'd better have more to say about them than "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB Space." So much isn't being told when you boil them down to mere numbers like this.
    All very valid points. But speaking for myself, I was anticipating more of a "WOW" factor when VPShive went live. When I saw the final website & packages, I was simply underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the core vps product is robust and worth the money. I have nothing bad to say about the network, the hardware, or their xen setup.

AGAIN: the core vps product is robust and worth the money!

But primarily, its the specs & the marketing that sell the product. The specs are basically the same as everywhere else. I was expecting to see at least more Ram, HD space, or bandwidth than the 'other guys'. In the end, we got exactly the same or a little less. I thought that since they own/control the datacenter (hardware, network, etc.) that they would be able to provide more.

In my opinion, now they have to sell themselves as to why they are better.

And I don't think they have done a good enough job differentiating themselves from the competition. They need to tell us and show us how their hardware is better, the network is better, and how they will support it all better. I haven't seen that yet. So until then, we can only compare the "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB Space".

2Gb/80gb/800gb..
    for 140/month?
    nty

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    All very valid points. But speaking for myself, I was anticipating more of a "WOW" factor when VPShive went live. When I saw the final website & packages, I was simply underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the core vps product is robust and worth the money. I have nothing bad to say about the network, the hardware, or their xen setup.

AGAIN: the core vps product is robust and worth the money!

But primarily, its the specs & the marketing that sell the product. The specs are basically the same as everywhere else. I was expecting to see at least more Ram, HD space, or bandwidth than the 'other guys'. In the end, we got exactly the same or a little less. I thought that since they own/control the datacenter (hardware, network, etc.) that they would be able to provide more.

In my opinion, now they have to sell themselves as to why they are better.

And I don't think they have done a good enough job differentiating themselves from the competition. They need to tell us and show us how their hardware is better, the network is better, and how they will support it all better. I haven't seen that yet. So until then, we can only compare the "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB Space".
    Presumably, you received this email because you participated in the VPSHive beta, is that correct? If so, then you have much more to say than others, because everyone else is debating from a very uninformed position.

How stable has the environment been? How has their support been? Have transfer speeds been good for you? As a dedicated customer, I've found them to be outstanding on all counts, which greatly increases the value of the hardware/stats they're selling. It seems you agree with this position.

A company doesn't differentiate itself by how well it markets itself. A company differentiates itself by how well it lives up to its promises and the expectations of its customers. Have they met your expectations? Are they worth their price to you? You are in a unique position to assess this that others in this thread are not, unless they have experience with Gigenet and simply haven't mentioned it. Anyone else who calls it "too expensive" without the benefit of first-hand experience is basing that decision on much too little information, or is revealing their sole buying criteria. I thought, as professionals in the industry, or at least as better-informed hosters, that we would be beyond this mentality.
    Last edited by the_pm; 01-23-2010 at 07:33 PM.

the_pm they didn't flame gigenet, but realisticly stated that they can get same or even more with others ALSO reputable, stable, well known VPS providers.
    Yes, they might be outstanding on all counts but what's wrong if people say that there around are also others outstanding on all counts fully managed VPS providers which offer more for this price. Relax please.

Quote Originally Posted by testnick View Post
    the_pm they didn't flame gigenet, but realisticly stated that they can get same or even more with others ALSO reputable, stable, well known VPS providers.
    Yes, they might be outstanding on all counts but what's wrong if people say that there around are also others outstanding on all counts fully managed VPS providers which offer more for this price. Relax please.
    Oh, I have no problem with price comparisons! Some of the comments here just underly and perpetuate a more pervasive problem within the industry, that the value of a host is too often based on stats alone. It's sends a bad message to the general public, that's all.

I've said my piece and hopefully made my point. Some people said $45 for Gigenet's product is "too expensive." I made a counterpoint that $45 is quite good when you take a larger picture into account.

Relax

Oh, I have no problem with price comparisons! Some of the comments here just underly and perpetuate a more pervasive problem within the industry, that the value of a host is too often based on stats alone. It's sends a bad message to the general public, that's all.

I've said my piece and hopefully made my point. Some people said $45 for Gigenet's product is "too expensive." I made a counterpoint that $45 is quite good when you take a larger picture into account.

Relax
    Yes, Gigenet is a great company, but still as a customer, why would I pay $45 for 200GB bandwidth whereas I can get 1000GB of it from Servint and Wiredtree's $49 "Fully Manged", with "Cpanel", VPS?

Alright, Let's take it into consideration that Gigenet is a very reputable company. They are the Best in the Dedicated Hosting Business, but money-wise, would you pay your hard earned cash of $45 just for a 200 GB Bandwidth? I would say, no Thank You.

Yes, Gigenet is a great company, but still as a customer, why would I pay $45 for 200GB bandwidth whereas I can get 1000GB of it from Servint and Wiredtree's $49 "Fully Manged", with "Cpanel", VPS?

Alright, Let's take it into consideration that Gigenet is a very reputable company. They are the Best in the Dedicated Hosting Business, but money-wise, would you pay your hard earned cash of $45 just for a 200 GB Bandwidth? I would say, no Thank You.
    All things being equal, no, I wouldn't. But rarely, if ever, are all things equal. For example (not related to VPSHive, just a random example), I'll pay twice as much for a VPS if the uptime is 99.99% rather than 99.9%. As one of my very good friends Vito often says, "I'm not rich enough to afford to buy cheap things."

If your experience with these companies leads you to believe the difference is not worthwhile pricewise, that is a much more complete statement than many previously posted in this thread! Your original post/comparison was a good one - well informed. Some others...not so much...

If your experience with these companies leads you to believe the difference is not worthwhile pricewise, that is a much more complete statement than many previously posted in this thread! Your original post/comparison was a good one - well informed. Some others...not so much...
    You don't have to constantly insult "some others" to make your point. There are different people with different needs. Some people have tight budget and they don't need a premium VPS, and it's completely OK for them to say it's too expensive FOR THEM.

I believe you that VPShive is probably a very good VPS provider (btw, I'm a beta tester too in case you want to say i'm not informed too). But you can't just charge whatever premium you think you deserve, you have to consider what your target customers think. VPShive's offering is nice, their hardware is very good, although the unixbench score isn't very impressive. The admin interface has potential but for now still not very polished and needs more work. $45 is probably not too bad, but definitely on the expensive side, considering it's just unmanaged VPS. I agree that you can't just look at the stats and say it's overpriced. But as some of other people have pointed out, there are many other very reputable VPS companies who offer fully managed VPS at the same price, now I would say this at least is a good indicator that it may be overpriced a little bit. Again, VPShive may have very different target customers in mind, and I believe there will be people who won't mind this price. I guess my point is, you need to care about what your customers think, even if you provide perfect services, if majority of your customers think the price is not right, then you better do something (slicehost comes into mind....)

Very nice design
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by novocaine View Post
    There are different people with different needs. Some people have tight budget and they don't need a premium VPS, and it's completely OK for them to say it's too expensive FOR THEM.
    Point taken, and my purpose wasn't to insult anyone. Let's just say I appreciate those who have taken the time to qualify their position, rather than stating positions with no context whatsoever. We can only work with what we're given, and in too many cases this is no more than "it's too much," without any insight into why or from what perspective this statement is being made. The discussions we have on WHT aren't just for the benefit of members - they're for the public, and I'm just asking people to think about how they portray their position, because it's indicative of how people think within the industry and how hosting customers should formulate opinions of providers.

"This does/doesn't meet my needs, and here's why..." <-- there's a great posting template for discussions such as these

I would have to agree. Both Servint and Wiredtree are solid companies. I have never used gigenet and can't comment on their services. But I just can't imagine paying $45 for a VPS with those specs. I currently host at Linode and couldn't be any happier.

I think VPSHive is out to compete with rackspace and liquid web's cloud hosting which pretty much at the same price range if you include the bandwidth cost.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Part of our offer and expansion is DDoS offering, IDS and Anitvirus Anitspam solution. It is also in our Data Center with full server access - since that was one question i diid see come up in the VPS forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
    There is a grammar error on your homepage:

White label Control panel for reseller's and there clients
    should read
    White label Control panel for resellers and their clients
    Agreed. Looks like they wrote it a bit too quickly. Access is also spelled wrong on the front page. However grammar errors are irrelevant to the host itself. I think its a great product. Thumbs up on the design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast