Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will running multiple sites under the same IP hurt SEO?

I have a hosting account and have been planning on running a couple sites under it.. It includes a dedicated IP, and I had the idea of just parking or pointing my domains to a subfolder of the account so I could run a couple sites under the same account.

Based on what I've seen, I get the impression this will not hurt SEO, but just wanted some confirmation from some others who are more experienced than I on this subject.

Any help is kindly appreciated.

EDIT: Just saw a similar post a bit under this one regarding a dedicated IP.. So I guess the consensus is that it doesn't matter too much?
    Last edited by mr_dimsum; 03-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.

No, it will not hurt SEO.

Hello,

You are correct. This is just a myth, best of luck
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Thanks for the quick replies Jeff, Zafar!

Addition:

You don't use it to manipulate your rankings.. It will do fine...Interlinking between your two sites may do harm...

Welll....yessssss....... but then excessive interlinking between any two sites is not going to go unnoticed.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed View Post
    Hello,

You are correct. This is just a myth, best of luck
    Not a very accurate response for a self proclaimed guru. No it is not a myth, hosting on the same ip can infact put your SEO work in danger if you interlink your sites.

I guess the truth of SEO Noob does not stroke the ego the same as pretending to be a guru does.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

obviously the best practice is to use a single IP per website. as we all know though, its not always possible with the number of available IP addresses shrinking every day.
    this is not really a yes or no answer, but rather a sometimes. links between a few sites on a server with only a few sites will get noticed by the search bots. on the other hand, if you have 1000 sites on one ip and a handfull have the same link it will not hurt you.
    with many clients in related industries, we do have a lot of interlinking but using the proper techniques for linking we have not seen any adverse results.
    [URL="http://www.careermarketplace.com"]

Hello mr_dimsum,

Could you be more clear?

Hosting multiple domains under your same account has multiple meanings.

1. Addon Domains - This is a subdomain under your main domain but you can access it with a Qualified Domain Eg: www.YourSite.com it is actually www.YourSite.Maindomain.com

The above will surely affect your SE Rankings.

2. Hosting domains separately as each accounts will not affect your site in anyway.
    Inway - India's Most Trusted Web Host
    █ SSD Web Hosting + CMS + Email Solutions Simplified
    Visit us at Web Hosting India

Please elucidate inway just how will that impact on your search engine rankings??

Let us go practically. One of my domain is mywebcopywriter.com, it is hosted as an addon domain, I have tested it months ago it is still not crawled by Google.

I have to do SEO things to get crawled by Google. I have tested it before in other domains as well.
    Last edited by inway; 04-15-2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Content

I really don't think that being an addon domain has anything to do with your site not being crawled by Googlebot.

Your server header that is returned to bots is:

Requested: 2008/04/14 23:54:31
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0b; Windows NT 6.0)
    Server Headers Details

1. REQUESTING: http://mywebcopywriter.comHEAD / HTTP/1.1 Connection: Keep-AliveHOST: mywebcopywriter.comUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0b; Windows NT 6.0)Accept: */* SERVER RESPONSE: 200 OKDate: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:54:29 GMTServer: ApacheLast-Modified: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:51:53 GMTETag: "83c013-df2-47721629"Accept-Ranges: bytesContent-Length: 3570Connection: closeContent-Type: text/html

IMO its much more likely that the lack of indexing of your pages is due to the fact that neither Google, Yahoo or MSN report a single link pointing at your site.

Google will index your domain automatically within a week as soon as registered. I have registered two domains on the same date of the above domain. Made it as an addon and the other in a main account. The other domain has no content and it has been indexed by Google within a week, but not the above domain.

This is not only one test that I have made, there are several tests. I had a web directory as an addon and I welcomed Google with Robots.txt although I was constructing my Web directory. Google never cared the addon domain for more that one and half months(I had about 5 page contents), then I submitted the site manually to Google SE. Got crawled, after completing the website, I had launched it as a unique domain. No issues for now.

I make tests and experiments like this frequently. Cant reveal everything though!

duhhhhh..... well first of all lets look at the obvious and ignore your idea that all domains are indexed as soon as they are registered.

Google states that they will not index a domain unless they cannot find at least one link pointing to it and that is sufficient reason for your site not to be indexed, you don't have to look any further, Now you can make me look like a fool by showing us that the other domain was indeed indexed at the same time and that it does not have any links at all pointing to it, but I am willing to take my chances.

Please do not skip my statements. Original statements is not as soon as you have registered.
    Original Statments:
    "Google will index your domain automatically within a week as soon as registered"
    Google states that they will not index a domain unless they cannot find at least one link pointing to it and that is sufficient reason for your site not to be indexed
    Where does Google Say that?

Google:"We add and update new sites to our index each time we crawl the web"

Unless there is a speck on my specs I can't find the part that says we index all new sites each time we crawl the web??

Yes indeed they do add new sites to the web, but you yourself have said that one of your domains is not indexed ??

Addon

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    Unless there is a speck on my specs I can't find the part that says we index all new sites each time we crawl the web??

Yes indeed they do add new sites to the web, but you yourself have said that one of your domains is not indexed ??
    I have already said that it was an addon domain. Again even Google cannot guarantee or predict that it will index all new domains.

Google:"We add and update new sites to our index each time we crawl the web"
    If they add 1 site each crawl, they have done what they said. I do not like saying "each crawl" though as it is really just one continuous.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Google

Google Says so!

Refer: http://www.google.com/addurl/

Quote Originally Posted by inway View Post
    I have already said that it was an addon domain. Again even Google cannot guarantee or predict that it will index all new domains.
    Ok try this for me.

use the keyword you are trying to rank your un-indexed domain for as an anchor text link to that domain in your forum sig and see if its not indexed next month at this time.

Google Says so!

Quote Originally Posted by google
    We do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear.
    why take it out of context?

I know how to get that domain to be indexed. I am still doing multiple tests.

Google Says so!

Quote Originally Posted by google
    We do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear.
    why take it out of context?

One thing that really needs to get more stess in the SEO101 class is that you cannot take everything that Google says as the God given truth. They have been known to prevaricate more than a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    Welll....yessssss....... but then excessive interlinking between any two sites is not going to go unnoticed.
    Of course Google and SEs bots can detect that...

They know those that manipulate links can interlinking their websites together..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast