Mac OS X hosting fesible?

subj. never did anyting with it, though the pictures of the boxes look sesseh. also seems the market isnt that saturated =]
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

I have actually thought about getting one of the Xserve servers to play with They are pretty awesome. I think there could be a niche market for these - but it would take some skillful marketing tactics.

If you're a Mac fanatic anyway go for it!
    CDHost - Managed Business Hosting
    http://www.cdhost.com - info@cdhost.com
    Proud Host of PhotoshopForums.com!

It seems so very expensive. Xserve starts at $3000!

meant to spell that as 'feasible'. anyway, you could always get that box by ghetto means =] though i have no idea how to admin an apple box, does anyone around these parts? how is it?

Well it's built on Unix - so you could either SSH into it or use the graphic utility that comes with it (but you'd need a mac)
    CDHost - Managed Business Hosting
    http://www.cdhost.com - info@cdhost.com
    Proud Host of PhotoshopForums.com!

i used it briefly and couldnt find the cli for the life of me =] also looks like the gui would be a resource hog.

I played around on my friend's iBook which had Mac OS X and if I remember correctly the CLI was in something along the lines of "system". Just do a search for "console" or "terminal" and you should be able to find it quite easily. Mac OS X is built on FreeBSD so it shouldn't be too different in order to administer. I'd really like to get a Mac OS X box myself but it's too expensive for just a toy.

i live in philadelphia, so all i have to do is take a walk into the northern part of the city with a sign 'i want an iBook'. i either walk out with one at a good price or dont walk out at all =]

Ive noticed tonsss of dedicated server providers are providing MacOSX now..... I think its proven its reliablitiy.

Cpanel is being ported to OSX according to cpanel.net

ninji: no, but i think bsd did =]

OSX boxes really are pretty easy to admin. SSH is an option, along with remote desktop. The interface is really intuitive.

Mac has always been pretty stable compared to MS. But I guess building both the hardware and the OS give you lots of room to make sure all the glitches are cleaned up. With a new OS like OSX, it's definitely based on a very good kernel and base. But until someone post their experience, we won't know if they didn't "break" it.

They're stable as long as you're willing to either work within their configuration utilities to edit configuration options, or install your own versions of common hosting binaries/config files. And FYI, to get to the CLI, hit Command-F, type "Terminal" and it should find the terminal app for you. Not that difficult. =)

George
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM