How do I enable SFTP via CPanel/WHM?

Using CPanel, how do I enable SFTP? I have SSH enabled but it's not a bash shell. I think you have to change the shell to Bash so how is that done via the WHM for each site or the sites CPanel?

Thanks

The root WHM uer will have to define what shell you get, contact your host. In any case, this is done in WHM not CPanel.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

I have CPanel's WHM but only have an option "Enable Shell." Where would it be located in the WHM (Cpanels version of WHM)?

Do you have root access to the machine?

No this is shared not VPS. I don't want to have to contact support to enable Bash for each account .

looks like thats what you will need to do.

Oh well another strike against Site5. I am hating them more and more by the minute. Their "Stripped" control panel, no SFTP access when shell is enabled, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to hear.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Write
    Oh well another strike against Site5. I am hating them more and more by the minute. Their "Stripped" control panel, no SFTP access when shell is enabled, etc.

Thanks for the help.
    Try using a program called "Tuneller" to login to shell (Site5 should provide you with this at least, AFAIK), you can google for it.

That should open an FTP like window once you login and it is considered secure like SFTP.

hth
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

FlashFXP does Secure FTP as well. Good peice of software.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

= FTP over SSH

You will probably have to contact the host who has root access

You need either full SSH access - or the more likely jailed SSH access. Otherwise SFTP won't work.

SFTP works fine on site5 reseller accounts, which are standard CPanel / WHM. You just need to enable shell (jailshell). If it's not working for you try asking their support.

Edit: Just saw your other thread - sftp also works on their shared accounts with ssh enabled.
    Last edited by foobic; 04-02-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Don't feel like logging in right now, but you need bash to be able to do SFTP. I have an SFTP app (Transmit) so I know how SFTP works (since it's the only way I can access my home network when away).

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Write
    Don't feel like logging in right now, but you need bash to be able to do SFTP. I have an SFTP app (Transmit) so I know how SFTP works
    So you know it won't work without even trying it. Cool! I wish I didn't have to go through the hassle of actually trying stuff to find out whether it works...

No I meant logging in to find out what the default shell was. I have tried repeatedly to see if SFTP works once Shell is enabled and it isn't. Support has confirmed you have to contact them to enable SFTP. I just thought since I disabled their "Basic" CP I could enable it myself.

For me, default shell is jailshell (both shared and reseller accounts) and sftp works fine on that using "FTP over SSH2" option.

You "disabled their basic CP" - meaning you're running standard WHM on a multisite account?

Yes. Well it was an accident. I was in backstage clicked on my WHM account and was dropped into the WHM "x" skin instead of "Multisite" skin. This is how I discovered it. So I switched the skin for all the acocunts (through the CP) to x2 from net4.

Funny how that happens considering that NA is a completely different control panel, not just a skin...

Still, that could be screwing up your ssh / sftp access, and Site5 won't support it anyway. I'd just change back, try again and if you still can't get it to work contact support.

I am now leaving Site5. I thought they were cool, but after seeing how much stuff they "hide" from the user etc I am not impressed along with the 4 hour wait time for support tickets etc.

I wish you luck with your new host hopefully it will be an improvement over Site5