Arrow How long does it take for Domain Privacy to take effect?

Hello, I recently registered a domain and when I registered it I did not choose to add domain privacy. So right now if you do a whois you can see my name, address etc. and I need all my details to be private. If I buy domain privacy for the domain today how long will it take for my info to be no longer visible on whois websites, is it instant? does it take days, weeks etc? im asking because I added domain privacy to another domain and after a week, my details were still available if you did a whois. Can anyone provide an accurate answer?

There are no propagation issues, if that is what you mean. The new information is sent to WHOIS database immediately. It may take a few minutes to a few hours for the database to actually get updated. This would apply to any change in WHOIS info
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

^ Thanks for your answer, yeah propagation is what I meant I wanted to know if it would take time for the new info to filter through to all the whois sites. Now I get it, its instant.

Quote Originally Posted by nottingham1440 View Post
    Hello, I recently registered a domain and when I registered it I did not choose to add domain privacy. So right now if you do a whois you can see my name, address etc. and I need all my details to be private. If I buy domain privacy for the domain today how long will it take for my info to be no longer visible on whois websites, is it instant? does it take days, weeks etc? im asking because I added domain privacy to another domain and after a week, my details were still available if you did a whois. Can anyone provide an accurate answer?
    Some time it's depend on registrar to registrar, some domain registrar do this on same time, some do after some time.
    like ResellerClub they secure your privacy and do on same time.

hostingoption

I've actually seen some whois searches return different results a few hours, or even days after the details have been updated.

It does depend on what registry you use.

A few years ago, I had a domain that I needed privacy on. When I did add the privacy to it with dynadot. It took effect within 5 minutes.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Some places will cache results so it could take awhile. But technically it is instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by nottingham1440 View Post
    Adding domain privacy after the initial registration will update the current record but there is a good chance your details may be recorded somewhere else already by another company. By this I'm simply pointing out that you may not be able to totally hide your identity now for that domain, it's really something you should add when you register it, not later.

I've seen caches that are months or even a couple of years outdated.
    It could take several years for a domain to be anonymized, when previously it was not.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

You should change your whois client. Try telneting to whois.internic.net
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ