* A Story and a Question

Hello.

I have spent the last 2 years switching hosting providers left and right due to my "unlimited" hosting accounts being banned because of using too much bandwidth.

My site gives away free downloads to legal graphic design resources. I use about 15 TB of bandwidth / month right now with approximately 175,000 unique people visiting the site per month. The file sizes range from 10 MB - 150 MB in size.

I have an account with Box.net that has not been banned since I have been paying $150 / Month. I get 12 TB of bandwidth from them currently.

I would love to upload more files but I am afraid to use any more bandwidth and switching hosting providers is getting extremely exhausting.

I have been on this lovely forum all day and have decided to look into 100TB.com. I have a few questions that I would love answered.

1) Will my users see a decrease or an increase in download speeds if I switch from Box.net/MediaTemple.com, etc. to 100TB.com?

2) Does 100TB.com have any restrictions on the bandwidth usage? Can I link from another hosting company?

3) Could I get the cheapest server with 100TB.com and be safe since they are just downloads?

If you have any other information that you think would be helpful, I would love to know. I totally appreciate everyone's opinion. Thank you!

Yeah, 100tb.com has no restrictions.

On the whole they're definitely not going to be slower than your current host(s). If it's just file downloads then get on to chat with them and see of they've got any of the Pentium D boxes in stock. Cheaper then the Ember.
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

Most hosts offering those unmeters plans have a fineprint saying that you're not supposed to use them just for offering files for download or that your server is able to burst at the highest speed for short period of time but if the usage is high you're supposed to upgrade to some bigger plans.

If you buy a dedicated server, usually providers specify the exact limit of bandwidth you can use or they say it's unmetered but shared between several other servers and you can expect to be able to use that many GB of bandwidth.

100tb.com does really offer those servers with 100TB of bandwidth and there is no "fineprint" - some people also posted graphs showing their servers going up to 800 mbps for relatively long periods of time.

If you check the offers section here, you may also be able to find servers cheaper than those offered by 100tb.com but with 100mbps unmetered connections (which gives you a maximum of 33 TB a month) though if your site already uses 15 TB of bandwidth, you may have peaks of download over 100mbps so your site may become sluggish.

You basically have two options : go with a server on gigabit port and lots of bandwidth or go with several (possibly) cheaper servers. It would make sense to go with several cheaper ones only if the number of simultaneous downloads is so high, the hard drives wouldn't be able to seek and get the data as fast as the connection - but at this point I'm sure you could also contact 100tb's sales and ask them to add several hard drives to your server and solve the issue.
    Last edited by mariushm; 09-15-2010 at 10:35 PM.

I have spent the last 2 years switching hosting providers left and right due to my "unlimited" hosting accounts being banned because of using too much bandwidth.
    So what was unlimited for you in this case? I guess you might be banned due to the high CPU and RAM usage instead?
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WebhostGIANT-Rob View Post
    So what was unlimited for you in this case? I guess you might be banned due to the high CPU and RAM usage instead?
    They said that the bandwidth was unlimited for "normal" websites. Since I have huge downloads, I wasn't considered a normal website and was affecting all of the other shared sites.

You will never be able to saturate a shared server's network port and expect to remain on that shared account for very long.

You are in need of a dedicated server or specialized hosting plan that allows you to do that.

Does anyone know the speed of the line for a typical shared server compared to 100tb.com?

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.

Typical shared line is 100mbps max. 100tb.com is 10x faster. You do the math.

I would guess typical would be 1gbps port or 2 x 1gbps ports coming to a rack of up to 40 separate servers, with maybe 200-400 mbps 95 percentile bandwdith.