Question Oil spill and summer vacation

It is really sad about the gulf oil spill, so I guess it is a bad idea to go to Miami this summer, isn't it?

How about the west coast? Looking at the map, California seems unlikely to be affected by the oil spill, I would like to spend 10-14 days somewhere next to ocean. Any ideas?
    Su-Jie Wang
    UI & UX Designer
    Portfolio: SUJ.CO

2. Quote Originally Posted by ttk_2k View Post
    It is really sad about the gulf oil spill, so I guess it is a bad idea to go to Miami this summer, isn't it?

How about the west coast? Looking at the map, California seems unlikely to be affected by the oil spill, I would like to spend 10-14 days somewhere next to ocean. Any ideas?
    I love California. Have you ever been there before? If not, I would suggest spending some time in northern california (wine country) and also southern (LA and San Diego)

Quote Originally Posted by ttk_2k View Post
    Look at it in a positive way. You dont have to buy sunblock lotion, the water already has natural sunblock oil in it

Are you F'ing kidding me. No offense, but take a look at a Map. Miami is no where near this spill. In fact much of the West Coast of Florida in the gulf region is completely unaffected. I just spent several weeks on vacation in the Gulf on St. Pete. It's beautiful and completely devoid of oil.

Let's not go blowing things too far out of proportion. While things are bad in the Gulf, a lot of Gulf destinations are suffering due to misinformation and a ignorance of geography. Miami is just fine, as is most all of Florida.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

@MyriadSupplyMike
    Thank you. I was in LA a few months ago and I really enjoyed it too. I have never been to northern CA and San Diego, was thinking to go there this time

@Webdude
    Lol, BP should really pay you for this, and use it in their new Ads.

@rasputin
    Sorry but I'm not the only one saying the oil spill is reaching Miami: http://www.google.com/search?q=oil+spill+miami , what is so strange for one who has never been in the locale to question this?
    Thanks for your information anyway. I'm really happy to hear that the spill isn't as terrible as what I was imagining.
    Su-Jie Wang
    UI & UX Designer

You could always do some fist pumping in New Jersey, haha!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    Look at it in a positive way. You dont have to buy sunblock lotion, the water already has natural sunblock oil in it
    You can also get a part-time summer job mopping up the oil from the sea

I think you'll probably be fine in Miami. And even some oil does reach Miami, why is that a reason not to go there?
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Quote Originally Posted by MyriadSupplyMike View Post
    I love California. Have you ever been there before? If not, I would suggest spending some time in northern california (wine country) and also southern (LA and San Diego)

If you are a wine person Napa is a great place. Most people forget Sacramento even though it's the capital. It's a great city, not too big and not too small. There is a lot to do and if you have kids they would definitely find the historical importance of it interesting or so I would think.
    Jacob Wall

Thanks guys! Too bad I don't drink alcohol...
    I just noticed that Miami seems to be rainy these days, not sure how it looks like in July. CA seems to have fairly nice weather tho.
    Su-Jie Wang
    UI & UX Designer

How about the west coast?
    Mexico and South America are in the way, so you should be fine.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Thanks guys! Too bad I don't drink alcohol...
    I just noticed that Miami seems to be rainy these days, not sure how it looks like in July. CA seems to have fairly nice weather tho.
    Most of the south has "rainy" periods daily for thunderstorms, these last usually only a couple of minutes to an hour or so and disappear.. it's the climate of the south.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Are you F'ing kidding me. No offense, but take a look at a Map. Miami is no where near this spill. In fact much of the West Coast of Florida in the gulf region is completely unaffected. I just spent several weeks on vacation in the Gulf on St. Pete. It's beautiful and completely devoid of oil.

Let's not go blowing things too far out of proportion. While things are bad in the Gulf, a lot of Gulf destinations are suffering due to misinformation and a ignorance of geography. Miami is just fine, as is most all of Florida.
    Miami is away from the spill.. for now.. until the oil hits the jet stream that circles the Gulf toward the keys, carries it across the keys to the atlantic and hits the gulf stream north bound. It's not a question of if it will hit Miami, but when.

As for the panhandle of Florida, most of it is unaffected. For example, Pensacola Beach has a bay inland from the gulf that is unaffected, hotel rooms are cheaper because people are staying away, and the usually packed restaurants are now sitting idle waiting for the brave who don't fear a little smell of oil.

I used to live in Miami for 5 years and while you should be fine as far as the oil spill. The beach is quite large so IF there was oil it would not affect the beach that much, you probably wouldn't want to go swimming in the ocean though. There are still quite a lot of pools and pool parties are really where a lot of people hang out anyway. If you are thinking about not going just because of the oil spill, I think you're being overly cautious.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

They are starting to plan THE MASS EVACUATIONS OF THE GULF STATES TO CALIFORNIA!! (This just gets wierder and scarier every second!)

http://www.youtube.com/v/m8Wg3k1IDTc

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

@MyriadSupplyMike
    Thank you. I was in LA a few months ago and I really enjoyed it too. I have never been to northern CA and San Diego, was thinking to go there this time

@Webdude
    Lol, BP should really pay you for this, and use it in their new Ads.

@rasputin
    Sorry but I'm not the only one saying the oil spill is reaching Miami: http://www.google.com/search?q=oil+spill+miami , what is so strange for one who has never been in the locale to question this?
    Thanks for your information anyway. I'm really happy to hear that the spill isn't as terrible as what I was imagining.

I live 20 minutes from the beach (in Tampa) and 40minutes from St.Pete beach, about 50 from Anna Maria. Oil is NO WHERE to be found, beaches are just as nice as always and thanks to national media my state is going to get screwed this year when it comes to revenue.
    Not sure what to put here :-P