Thread: UK Windows VPS

UK Windows VPS

Im looking for a UK based windows vps server.
    I know there quite expensive, around £20 a month.

However, I am looking for a provider that will allow me to use my own windows server license I own (hopefully allowing me to get a lower cost vps)

Any ideas?
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Typically Windows VPS's through Virtuozzo don't require a key so you don't have to put in your own. All that is required of the VPS provider is to tell microsoft of the number of CAL's being used so in your case i'm not sure - it's not like having a dedicated server where you can easily supply your own key.

If you are able to demonstrate you actually do have a valid license then all the VPS host would need to do is not report the CAL being used on your VPS - I know thats the way we would do it however every host is different and some may well not bring down the cost based on this as the admin / billing overhead would be a pain!

Cheers,
    Jacob

<< Signature to be Setup in Profile >>
    Last edited by Alex; 10-31-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Actually the provider uses their own SPLA license on the base and typically has unlimited instances (it has nothing to do with CALs).

I was about to come back and contradict my own post but I see someone beat me

The license is installed on the main hardware node an as such it wouldn't matter if you could provide your own windows server license as it's already taken care of. Microsoft charge on a per processor / cal basis not per virtual machine running on it.

@connorjackson - Sorry but it looks like the only way you could use your license would be on a dedicated server. In which case it's just a matter of choosing a host - I'd search the offers topics as there are loads of great deals out there at the moment - even in the UK!

You might be able to use it with a hyper-v setup but it won't result in any cost saving.

Ah okay then I see, yeah I guess the provider would be subject to volume licensing

Try pcsmarthosting.co.uk - you will need to contact their sales department.

Thanks for the suggestions

try with cyberhostpro.com
    WebSitePanel/ MspControl / SolidCP / Smartermail / Installation / Configuration / Troubleshooting / Migrations
    Windows Server Management / Security / Hardening
    I speak English and Spanish

Did you actually have any preference for virtualization technology or OS (ie 2003 / 2008?)
    LA Hyper-V 4 GB RAM VPS Sale Now On!- Free Dotnetpanel + SimpleDNS!
    Worldwide Hosting Options - USA - UK - Europe - Australia - Canada - Singapore
    5 Start Customer Rating - Click Here For More Details - BBB Accredited - Since 1993

How much you are planning to spend for the VPS ?
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

Typically a Windows VPS host would have already licensed the host server under SPLA (Microsoft's service provider licensing) so you bringing your own license along unfortunately doesn't necessarily save any money. The license cost part is typically only £4-5pm per VPS anyway.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

in UK, you can using poundhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by connorjackson View Post
    Im looking for a UK based windows vps server.
    I know there quite expensive, around £20 a month.

However, I am looking for a provider that will allow me to use my own windows server license I own (hopefully allowing me to get a lower cost vps)

Any ideas?
    the budget is too low, try the http://vds.poundhost.com they do for £24 a month
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Your other option is find a VPS provider who uses KVM-Linux and allows you to chuck in your own distro via vnc/terminal

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    Your other option is find a VPS provider who uses KVM-Linux and allows you to chuck in your own distro via vnc/terminal
    Really scraping the barrel here