Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your site vs your clients site?

Ok, i've come to the conclusion that I should host my site elsewhere from my servers than to my clients sites.

So how many of you host your website on the same servers that you host your clients websites on?

If not, and you host it elsewhere, are you on a reseller plan, VPS, dedicated or co-location?

I will most probably be going to do this with my site on an advanced reseller with a company like premiumreseller.com but I just like to know what you do!

Thanks - James
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

We have a couple dozen sites we run, that we own, from one server. All of our clients are on different servers.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Greetings!

In my experience it is always wise to have your site hosted on a different server in order to provide an opportunity for clients to contact you in case their sites are down. You can host a forum and post announcements on your site for your clients' guidance.

You can also have an alternative contact info (or email) that your client can use to contact you.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

You should never run your site on your customer server, this is a BIG no no. One insecure script exploited from a customer could cost you all of your customer data. Not to mention that you should really have a minimum of 2 servers running DNS for you and your customers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

We always run our business site on a different server that is in a different Data Center.

There are no customer sites on the server. This allows us to run with increased security.

If you use a company like www.httpme.com, it includes a free account on their "offsite" server, which is located in a different data center.

It's a good way to keep your own website separate from your customers.. and costs you nothing extra.

We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

In the beginning it's one thing, but as you expand you will want to put your services on seperate machines so customers can still get a hold of you.

If nothing else, you will want your support desk and billing system on seperate servers. On our site we actually have 5 seperate dedicated machines for our site and services. We do not mix these with customers at all.
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting

I know this is going a little off-topic. But do you recommend going with a seperate company using a VPS or something (if you cannot afford another dedicated server)?

If so, any recommendations? As I would only need a small VPS (under 2gb space/ 20gb x-fer). If you are a VPS provider, just PM me with some details or a link to your site. Thanks.

I would recommend it - yes. Keeping your files in a seperate data center would also be an advatage just in case something was to happen with the pipeline into your main DC.

I unfortuantly do not have any information on VPS - never played with it, but I know there's a category here somewhere with people advertising rates etc.
    Conor Treacy
    Hands-on Web Hosting
    E-Commerce cPanel Web Hosting | PCI Compliance Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by michaely
    I know this is going a little off-topic. But do you recommend going with a seperate company using a VPS or something (if you cannot afford another dedicated server)?

If so, any recommendations? As I would only need a small VPS (under 2gb space/ 20gb x-fer). If you are a VPS provider, just PM me with some details or a link to your site. Thanks.
    You could use a VPS if you wanted. To just make sure your support system was always available, you could use a VPS or even a regular hosting account with a reliable provider. I would recommend your support site be in a different data center than your servers.

Post Futurehosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by michaely

Maybe a little too much space and bandwidth but futurehosting.biz offer some good VPS servers!

We run our site w/ different carriers and in a different datacenter, as a contingency plan for an outage. Call it paranoid, but it is really helpful to be able to send out emails without monkey-ing around with our own systems or worse, DNS.

Depending on what you need for your site, you could get something simple, ie Shared/VPS. Just make sure that whatever you end up doing you choose a reliable provider, even if you end up paying a little more. Otherwise, what is the point?

Good Luck
    Last edited by SDC-Eric; 12-24-2006 at 02:41 AM.
    SDCServers.com
    100mbps+ Bandwidth Solutions

Our main website: <<< removed >>> is hosted on the same server as our customers. We don't see the need to have that offsite..

However, our support desk and billing data is offsite on another server for redundancy reasons...
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 12-27-2006 at 08:31 AM.

We host our main website and support/billing system on a different server to our client servers.

Mini

We host our website on its own dedicated server. Unfortunately, that's located in the same datacenter as most of our servers are (Steadfast), so the recent outage was quite harsh. No biggie though, they're still a great company.

Ty

Ok, i'll get things worked out!

Im only new so i'll start the site on a reseller and move it to a dedicated or colo in a few months!

Thanks All

Why a reseller? Shared hosting is usually much cheaper, just find a reliable web host.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Why a reseller? Shared hosting is usually much cheaper, just find a reliable web host.
    multiple sites to host.... and private nameserver w/IP's is easier to find

Quote Originally Posted by James-Fagan
    multiple sites to host.... and private nameserver w/IP's is easier to find
    Personally, I'd try to find a host that either offered shared hosting with more than one domain, or a host that offers some type of multi-site plan. Most hosts offer dedicated IP addresses for a small fee.

Reseller servers are usually more loaded as they run more sites.

We have A LOT of servers - and we run them in a few different datacenters, so as not to put all of our eggs in one basket. To ensure that customers on any of those networks can always reach us, we host our own website on a $5 a month hosting account with a provider that doesn't use any of the same networks or providers that we use.

Five dollars a month is a cheap price to pay to make sure our customers can always reach our website/support desk in the event of an outage.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Yup...^^^...what Tina said. Ironically, our off-server account sees more downtime than our customer servers have, historically.

If you have the money, you may want to try a cluster setup, but what Tina said, on different networks and providers should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bah humbear
    Yup...^^^...what Tina said. Ironically, our off-server account sees more downtime than our customer servers have, historically.
    Yup. Same here. We've switched our own domain host 3 times in the last several months. I'm getting pretty quick at switching DNS over whenever a provider goes down now. The last one went through before the monitor even picked it up!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    If you have the money, you may want to try a cluster setup, but what Tina said, on different networks and providers should do the trick.
    lol josh... that's something that doesn't worry me anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by James-Fagan
    lol josh... that's something that doesn't worry me anymore!
    So, did you move your site?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast