DedicatedNOW Network Attack 12-30-03

Hello,

I have been informed of a current network attack going on, of which our admins are working on a resolution with NAC. I do not have any further information at this time, only that there are current network problems that we are aware of, and working on.

Thank you,

Just wanted to ask so. Any ETA for it?

Seems to be restored

Any detailed report for it?

I don't believe it has fully ended, I'm still getting some high pings tracing in from external networks. I'll post when I have further information regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Just want to say that on the very rare occasions that our servers with DN are down Matthew or someone is always very quick to let us know what's going on. Many dedicated server providers could learn a lot from this company's professional attitude.
    Servers seem fine now. Will be interested to see the report.

Indeed. Some people might not be interested to know the updates but for sure no harm updating them.

However, for those who are interested to get updates like us would be definitely delighted to get update. Not to mention that I wouldn't be stoned if my clients asked me for updates.

Originally posted by Melitaweb
    Just want to say that on the very rare occasions that our servers with DN are down Matthew or someone is always very quick to let us know what's going on. Many dedicated server providers could learn a lot from this company's professional attitude.
    Servers seem fine now. Will be interested to see the report.
    Thank you very much We try our best to provide information to our clients thus eliminating the influx of phone calls / tickets normally expected. I'll await final word from our network engineer on the cause of the problem, and post it when available. Pings seem to be back to normal on my server, and others have reported it as well, so I'll take that as gospel for the moment (that and the phones stopped ringing, so I can eat my breakfast)

Thanks,

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Indeed. Some people might not be interested to know the updates but for sure no harm updating them.

However, for those who are interested to get updates like us would be definitely delighted to get update. Not to mention that I wouldn't be stoned if my clients asked me for updates.
    Absolutely 100% agree. As soon as I have information, either myself or another staff member will post. As it turns out, we awakened our network engineer from slumber to resolve the problem (which is why I don't want to be a network engineer) so he may have fixed and gone back to bed, but we'll post it today with whatever the problem looks to be.

Thanks,

This morning at approximately 8am portions of the DedicatedNOW network became unreachable. The cause of this outage has been traced to an IRC related DoS attack originating from a machine within this network. Servers which were located on VLANs should not have been affected by this issue, which resulted in a large broadcast storm on the old flat VLAN network.

An investigation is currently underway to determine the source of this attack, however, the offending machine has been Null Routed within the DedicatedNOW Network.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and will continue to work to ensure this issue is solved as best possible.

Any ETA for all servers on VLAN?

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Any ETA for all servers on VLAN?
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, are you asking when all servers will be moved to VLAN's? or are you asking when any current problems on the "flat VLAN's" will be subsided?

Server's moving to VLAN's, I'll post updates on our forums later on today, Anthony is busy with the planning of it, but I would expect within 2-3 weeks we'll begin (if not sooner) of notifying clientelle of upcoming VLAN moves.

If I was incorrect, and it was the other meaning, then:

I wrote this on the dedi server forum a little while ago:

"As far as I'm aware at this time, the issue has been resolved, however, if you are having any problems at all with connectivity, please e-mail network@dedicatednow.com with any information, including main IP's, any traceroutes, etc. so that we can assist you in this matter.

Thanks,"