Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you wash your bed comforter with? Washing machine disaster!!

For my entire life I have used top loading washing machines which do a very poor job in cleaning bed comforters because the comforter tends to just float on top and the agitator messes up the comfortor eventually.

So I bought my very first front loading washing machine which is 3.83 in size but my normal sized queen comforter hardly fits inside the machine! I have to SHOVE and push my comforter inside and could hardly close the door. It's been "washing" it for 45 minutes and 60% of the comforter is STILL bone dry. Water hasn't even soaked it through. This ain't going to get clean at all!!

Am I insane or is this normal??? It can't be??? Don't laundry matts use the same sized front loading machines at 4.0 being the max size???

I loved my front loading machine until I tried to wash my comforter in it... what a huge dissapointment

When you guys put your bed comforter inside your front loading machine do you have this problem??? Mine is basically just tumbling a DRY comforter in it because it's shoved in there so tight the water can't penetrate the entire comforter to clean it!

Our lighter comforters we use in the summer will fit in our 'Extra Large' washer without and issue but we have the same problem with the heavy winter ones. We end up bringing it in and having them dry clean it for about $15 bucks each time.

okihost,

Is your washer a top loading washer or front loading???

Even my thinner queen sized comforter does NOT get clean at all inside my new front loading washer. I just bought this front loading washer:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Water never even touched 40% of my comforter throughout the wash cycle!!! When it sprayed more water on it during the rinse cycle it got it wetter basically... but NOT clean because the entire comforter is shoved in there in a tight wad!

So how on earth do most people get there huge king sized comforters clean? I am confused....

I have a top loading machine, and a queen size comforter. What I usually do is just leave the lid open so it'll soak, and I have a broomhandle by the washing machine, I just push it down into the water every 10minutes or so, and when it's finally soaked all the way through, I run it through it's cycle, only problem is I have to rinse it like 5 times using the same method.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

That is funny, that is EXACTLY how I used to wash my comforter in my top loading machine. The only problem with that is the agiator eventually destroys my comforter by bunching up the stuffing and tearing it and it twisting the fabric.

Which is also exactly why I got so excited to buy my new front loading washing machine because I thought it would wash it well but boy was I wrong.

I don't understand why they don't make them a LOT bigger... do laundry matts have much larger front loading commercial sized machines or something???

I just took a couple pictures of my washer... see how my comforter is shoved in there so tight that half of it stayed bone dry and NEVER got clean!

How on earth am I supposed to wash my comforter... I have to take this machine back. It's does a great job with clothing but not comforters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails washer1.jpg   washer2.jpg  

ooo shiny

Can't you just do the same with the front loader? Just fill it up with water, and then pull the knob to stop it, let it sit there for half hour or so, then start it? (you might have to refill it though)

I wouldn't take it back just because it won't wash your comforter, if anything, take it to a dry cleaners, buy a smaller bed, or cut it into pieces
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

Front loading washer do not fill up with water... you can't make them do that.

The whole purpose of me buying a new washing machine was so that I could wash my comforters and I can't at all with this aachine. I certainly want my $900 back.

But if I took my comforter to the dry cleaners... I don' want it dry cleaned... that won't clean it properly. I want it cleaned with actual water and a good soak... I am going to call the dry cleaners and ask them what size their front loading machines are because I was under the impression that 4.0 was the MAX size made and I have a 3.83 one which is basically the same size.

Mine is top loading, it was the biggest one Sears (Kenmore) sold. Before when we lived in an apt we used to wash ours at the laundromat and the 4x or whatever they call the huge ones would work fine.

The two we have are HUGE that we clean at the cleaners now but they did fit in the laundromat big washer fine.

Hmmmm I see. So the laundry matts do indeed have MUCH bigger front loading washers? I wash my comforter at least twice a month...frequency depending on what exactly has been crawling around in my bed.

So why don't they sell these larger (laundry matt sized) ones in the store... the regular 4.0 sized ones are completely worthless in washing comforters and I'd rather have the convenience of washing it at home... not having to drive to a laundry matt. I really need to be a millionaire so I can afford to buy myself a large expensive commercial sized front loader and put it in my house. Oh the misery

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Hmmmm I see. So the laundry matts do indeed have MUCH bigger front loading washers? I wash my comforter at least twice a month...frequency depending on what exactly has been crawling around in my bed.

So why don't they sell these larger (laundry matt sized) ones in the store... the regular 4.0 sized ones are completely worthless in washing comforters and I'd rather have the convenience of washing it at home... not having to drive to a laundry matt. I really need to be a millionaire so I can afford to buy myself a large expensive commercial sized front loader and put it in my house. Oh the misery
    Oh yeah they are larger.. At the ones I used to go to there would be a bunch of small top loaders then bigger front loading ones that say 2x, 3x 4x etc on them with 4x being the biggest and baddest one they have

They cost a lot more (Probably about $5 bucks now for a 4x) but well worth it and now that you mention how dry cleaning is not really 'cleaning' much I think I will be taking a few trips to the laundromat each year

They don't sell them I assume because they are so big and are made for commercial use thus making them really expensive.

If a top loader works for 98% of your laundry it does not justify buying one of those $5,000 4X machines when you can get by with a cheaper <$1000 unit almost all the time.

For me it just spoils everything to not be able to wash a comforter at home and have to drive to a laundry matt once or twice a month. I prefer not to let an entire month+ go by without washing my bed comforter.

One day I hope to be able to afford a huge commercial washer so I can wash my comforters at home

I'm returning this new washer and with the money I get back I am going to buy a large wide screen TV instead to replace my old dying CRT TV.

I think that is money better spent

I actually just washed my king size down comforter yesterday. I take it to the laundrymat and use their extra-large front loading washer. Yes, they are bigger than the standard residential models. It costs me $6 in quarters to wash it and $5 in quarters to dry it.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Did anyone notice Frosty's reflection in the first picture?

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    I did now. Even off a washer reflection you can tell shes cute.

I've never like those front loading washer, they seem to be a pain. I know comforters are one of the harder things to wash due to size. I wish we could come out with a washer that can be adjusted for things such as those, but it would probably be best to have it dry cleaned rather than having to go through the hassle of a unclean comforter.
    Kerry Jones

I've never like those front loading washer, they seem to be a pain.
    In what way are they a pain?

I've always wondered why the top loaders are so popular in the USA when the rest of the world tends to use front loaders. Cheaper to manufacture I guess, but use a ridiculous amount of water to get the job done.
    Steve

Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    You guys are funny. Good thing I wasn't naked when I took the photo!

I do like front loaders for regular clothing but you really need the huge 55 lb front load washers that laundry matts have to wash comforters. I just called a laundry matt and the women there said that their front loaders are MUCH bigger. I am going to go there and wash my comforter in it and test it out =)

When you say comforter that is the same as duvet? Just wondering why it needs washing twice a month! I can't think of the last time I washed the actual duvet, although the cover on that and my pillows changes weekly.

I've just had a quick look on the google at this and most people tend to wash it once or twice a year which seems about right (and is also recommended by experts apparently, not sure who these experts are though!). If it's things like mites or fleas you are worried about sticking them in the drier on high should kill them all off and driers tend to be bigger than the drum in the washer.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen-Steve View Post
    When you say comforter that is the same as duvet? Just wondering why it needs washing twice a month! I can't think of the last time I washed the actual duvet, although the cover on that and my pillows changes weekly.

I've just had a quick look on the google at this and most people tend to wash it once or twice a year which seems about right (and is also recommended by experts apparently, not sure who these experts are though!). If it's things like mites or fleas you are worried about sticking them in the drier on high should kill them all off and driers tend to be bigger than the drum in the washer.
    Anyone who owns a pet, who sleeps on their bed, will understand that once or twice a year isn't going to be enough.

I wash mine about once every other month.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I do have a pet, my cat always sleeps on my bed The covers tend to get covered in fur but as long as it's down by my feet I don't mind too much. She's never had fleas, in fact last weekend she had her flea prevention done, and we sprayed the house with anti-flea stuff.
    Steve

I generally prefer the cat not to be in my room, but he's learned how to turn the door handle and get in when I'm not around. So, I gave up. He wins.

--Tina

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    Look at the hawt legs, I'll clean your comforter manually Jul twice a week!
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Backyard Billy, ok it's a deal

AH-Tina has it right... I would never wash my comforter only twice a year especially since my dog is in my bed sometimes for a few minutes here and there stinking it up, yuck. My comforter does not have a duvet cover that I can take off of it to wash. My comforter is a normal comforter and is a solid single piece of fabric with palm trees printed on the fabric.

The laundry matt had this MASSIVE 55 lb front load washer which can wash THREE comforters at once! One day when I can afford it I will have one of those suckers in my home and never have to pay some laundry matt $15 bucks to wash my comforter for me once a month which is what they just charged me. That is expensive! I thought they would only charge me few bucks.

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I wasn't wearing any pants when I took that pic by my other reflection. It's too blurry too tell =)
    Last edited by Frosty; 12-29-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I wasn't wearing any pants when I took that pic by my other reflection. It's too blurry too tell =)

Quick! Anyone good with photoshop? we need a bigger resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy View Post
    Quick! Anyone good with photoshop? we need a bigger resolution.
    Here's my contribution to WHT.

* I hate palm trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails washer2.jpg  
    Last edited by GoTek-JP; 12-29-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast