Something's up with the forum...

I'm starting to notice weird things happening like threads without posts and posting not increasing post counts. At first I thought it was just me, but it's happened more than once. With so many users, threads, and posts, perhaps part of the database is corrupted or vBulletin is falling apart. Is anyone else noticing weird things?

Re: Something's up with the forum...

Originally posted by ToastyX
    . . . . Is anyone else noticing weird things?
    Apparently mindboggle is.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&postid=349271
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think it has something to do with the Mothman Prophecies...
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I just noticed another weird thing. I'm seeing threads listed with the wrong number of replies. For example, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=49116 is listed as having 10 replies, but there's 12 posts, which is 11 replies.

I got about 15 "new post" emails for a single thread last night, and when I went to check it this morning, there was only one new post. Quite odd if you ask me.
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Yeah I've noticed lots of weird goings on, lots of reply to thread notifications, often for the same user.

WHT is also sluggish at times, and I often see the message that the forum is too busy.

Any plans for a faster machine for WHT Robert?

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    I got about 15 "new post" emails for a single thread last night, and when I went to check it this morning, there was only one new post. Quite odd if you ask me.
    Strange. I made about "15 new posts" last night.

Now they're gone.

Actually, they were gone last night.

Okay, maybe not fifteen. But there were six, with a couple that were quite lengthy.

Even posted in this thread after one post (the longest one that I can't seem to duplicate) disappeared.

Kinda makes you have second thoughts about posting.

test post

just a test....wouldnt post earlier either....
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I went ahead and ran a myisamchk this morning because it was getting dupl. index errors and that seems to have fixed the posting problems, I'm going to update the counters by hand right now.
    As far as being sluggish, I fine-tuned my.cnf a little more a couple days ago and the load average hasnt gone above 1 since then, there are also plans in for 2 new servers for WHT, dual PIII 1ghz, 1 GB RAM, dual scsi drives in RAID, two servers, one for the DB one for the content, that should increase performance by 200%.

There is something really weird going on with the forum still. I got blasted with 59 emails just like below relating to one particular thread:

====================
    Hello Frosty,

ToastyX has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - mediocre service, bad policies - in the Web Hosting Forum forum of WebHostingTalk Forums.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&goto=newpost

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again.

Yours,
    WebHostingTalk Forums team
    ======================

It`s saturday and the emails just keep pouring into my inbox non-stop. WTF? "ToastyX" hasn`t even participated in that particular thread at all? This place is mad.

I'm scared.

Originally posted by mindboggle
    I'm scared.

Strange.

I read that same post in this thread last night, but it was made by someone else.

I'm pretty nervous.

as someone else mentioned, couldn't post, search, reply, or PM for a while this morning. weird.

Originally posted by Frosty

There is something really wrong I got blasted with 59 emails just like below relating to one particular thread:

====================
    Hello Frosty,

ToastyX has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - mediocre service, bad policies - in the Web Hosting Forum forum of WebHostingTalk Forums.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&goto=newpost

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again.

Yours,
    WebHostingTalk Forums team
    ======================

It`s saturday and the emails just keep pouring into my inbox non-stop. WTF? "ToastyX" hasn`t even participated in that particular thread at all? This place is mad.
    The best I can figure is this is related to people not to being able to post last night, myisamchk had a lot of errors to fix. I've tried to recreate all those problems throughout the day today with no success, which is a good thing. I've been able to post, set email notification, only got one email per reply, had other people reply, got one email per reply, load average has been a steady .3-.4 all day Sent private messages, sent them to myself, got one email, logged in and out.

Cool...i guess it`s fixed now...it stopped blasting the emails. This morning i actually had over 60 "post reply notification" reply emails in my inbox to that one thread.

Originally posted by WebDev
    . . . . . I've tried to recreate all those problems throughout the day today with no success. . . . .
    The scarey part is; it appeared to be working fine last night. Before it went totally wacked.

I'll take you word for it that it's fine now.
    But, if I lose any posts from today; you'll be hearing from my attorney.
    I will choose my attorney to represent me in this case from the members here. It'll have to be from memory though, seeings how we don't have a members list to refer to any more.

Please don't anybody PM me to apply for the attorney position. I have someone in mind.

appletreats?? I be talkin 'bout you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Strange.

I read that same post in this thread last night, but it was made by someone else.

I'm pretty nervous.
    He stole my post
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

i have been getting new post emails on threads that haven't been getting new posts.

weird?

LOL, I just went to the Special Offers forum and the first page is showing ads from 2 years ago! It feels like I've stepped into a time machine.