Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nocster for gaming?

Hi, does anyone know if Nocster servers are good for gaming servers? I plan on using them for Half-Life and its mods, but if they are not good for gaming I don't want to throw my money away. Anyone?
    http://www.hypermegaglobotechcorp.com
    AIM ESchronos

Pings are great (at least for me) - I get 25ms pings from my cable line, and 10ms pings from a local T3 I have a few clients that run gaming servers, they seem to like the network. It really depends on where you're located, see if somebody can provide you with a server that you can test out, if they have one running.

- Matt

I rented a server with Nocster just pretty much to look at the network and was very unhappy... If you have other options then i would explore them first. And trust me ping times are the last thing you should look at when it comes to a good network..

One CS 20 man server on my Nocster box pegged the cpu... Enough said....

<< One CS 20 man server on my Nocster box pegged the cpu... Enough said.... >>

That is a issue requiring more powerful hardware, and has nothing to do with our network!

SMA
    PRES/CEO
    BURSTNET
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Granted the test server i rented isn't a top shelf dual CPU like the other ones i have but i expected it to run at least ONE little CS server on it.....

X-gaming,

Your newness to the business of game hosting is making you stick out like a sore thumb when you make silly comments like that.

FYI.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

explain? I rent a server to test out and it is garbage..... Even though i haven't been around for 20 years I think i can justify my comments... The comments were not pointed at you anyway sir so please keep your comments to yourself.

Scuse me?

This is a public forum...

I will keep my comments to whomever I wish, so long as I obey the rules and the friendly moderators agree.

*slaps X-Gaming

Your statement that they cannot handle gaming has NOTHING to do with Nocter's network. Rather, sounds like you:

1) Rented a box that had less than adequate CPU power for the game

2) Blamed Nocster for having a crappy service / network.

The problem is with you. A server with certain specs from provider A should perform within 5-10% of a server from provider B with the same specs. One cannot really refute this.

I would be happy to give further commentary if I knew a few stats on the box you rented and what exactly you were trying to run on it.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Well, there are very few boxes sold for dedicated servers nowadays that can't handle a single 20 man CS server. I've done it with great success over the years on hardware that you'd have a hard time finding today.

Unless you bought something truly bargain basement then you probably screwed up somewhere. You probably misconfigured something, or had another process running that was hogging the CPU.

Or maybe it was a Windows server, in which case, well, it's Windows and you just really can't blame anyone for bad performance.

It was a linux box running exactly one server. it was a 20 player CS but with 2 people playing it lagged and killed the CPU...

I had a P2 550mhz box at home with a T1 connection that could fit more players on it...

Your telling me a P4 2.0ghz box that i rent cannot handle 2 players?

This server was used to test the network NOT for clients...

I didn't feel the need to spend a few hundred sending servers to the east coast until i could look at the network. My knowledge of gameservers is not in question. I have several clients that can attest to that... We cleared $600 this week.....

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Your telling me a P4 2.0ghz box that i rent cannot handle 2 players?
    No, I said that you probably screwed up somewhere. It's a possibility that seems to gain credibility with each post you make.

I'm sure P4 2.0 + HLDS/CS + Linux + Nocster is not at all an exotic combination.

I don't want to put your skillset on trial here, because honestly it's not at all interesting to me. I'm appalled at the possiblity of someone losing money over your statements, however.

As far as how much money you made last week, there are plenty of people profiting from the internet that don't know their hindquarters from a hole in the ground. Don't get too high on yourself.

well I am bored of this topic and of the some of the people here.

I simply state a fact that i would not recommend Nocster based on my personal experiences and I get attacked and insulted over it, This seems to be a growing trend around here... It really doesn't matter either way if Nocster is your thing or not. I simply will not endorse them, This is my perogative..

The remark about what we cleared this week was to attest to the quality of our services. Do you honestly think we would have any customers if we had poor servers/support etc? We have been getting more and more signups every week based alot on referals from our current clients so I can and should be proud of this fact. If i ran a shoddy business the customers would go elsewhere I am sure...

If you would like to rent a server off me and try it out then by all means post to your hearts delight about the service we provide but until then please don't make comments about what you don't know.

So how about if I rent a server from you, play on it, and then come complain about how terrible your company is because I don't win every round? Would that be kosher?

No, because that's my ignorance harming your reputation. Same thing you're doing to them.

The only way you are going to learn if my company is good or not is if you were a client that is all I'm am saying.... You can speculate all you want but you honestly do not know what i can provide. It is obvious you are one of these thread jumpers that just come here to argue with people.

Have a nice day.

X-Gaming.

To put it simply. Dont be an idoit.
    Your ignorant and dont know what your talking about.

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

Well, does anybody use nocster for game server?

Why not just ask for some one else that has gameserver with them? They could justify it instead of debating over here.

I am currently hosting a MOH:AA server at nocster. Sofar so good, Seems to fast and runs smooth. Server is on a P42.4

I had hosted some in the past, about 5 months ago, was terrible then, too much downtime and packetloss. But not the network really seemed to have improved since then.

I plan on putting alot more game servers on there as long as the network stays up to par.

I also host game servers at DV2 and Cyberwurks, Sofar the Nocster server is running just as good as them.

Originally posted by ThomasC
    X-Gaming.

To put it simply. Dont be an idoit.
    Your ignorant and dont know what your talking about.

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Thanks for your kind words Thomas. [You spelled "idiot" wrong] Idiot..

If you do order a server from nocster be prepared to wait, I ordered 1 9 days ago for a customer and cancelled it today as it still was not set up.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Thanks for your kind words Thomas. [You spelled "idiot" wrong] Idiot..

LMAO

Good one.

Oh, and I have a web server on nocster, fast speeds, and hasn't been down at all(1 month and counting).

But, being a huge gamer as myself, I don't know, I would have to play on a nocster game server to tell. A web server versus a game server are different. But I have never had a problem with nocster. They have been fantastic so far.

OMG. HAHA. Yes that is quite funny.
    Shows you should not post when drunk

Fair game X-Gaming, you made me laugh

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

as they say in the gaming world.. GG'S ThomasC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast