Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RamHost - Review

Hello,

This is my 3 month ++ RAMHOST.US review. I've been with them for about 3 month already. My Opinion FANTASTIC for USD 9 / month vps.

I used RamHost VPS as a backup server and host few blogs and sites.
    While my primary production site is on servint which is also outstanding but this one cost you 50 USD / month

With only USD 9 / month i got 100% uptime for the last 3 month and i hope this will last forever. I check with free ping service which ping my ramhost vps every 15 minutes.

they also semi managed which they will do initial install like control panel and OS which is very2 good me. Also they will backup your entire data once every 2 week.

RAMHOST is outstanding for cheap,uptime and reliability. Only the web panel look so ugly, but that's not a problem for me.

PS 1: Before i found Ramhost i had with hostgd, dmehosting and i had bad experience with them
    PS 2: How to report the domain and IP to the admin ?
    Last edited by Maleosx; 01-24-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Good review, to submit your domain/ip hit the "report" button on the top right of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleosx View Post
    I see you managed it

Thanks for supplying your domain for verification

Only the web panel look so ugly, but that's not a problem for me.
    Maleosx, I disagree with you on this, I really like their control panel, It has everything I need ie reboot, stop, start, reinstall OS

I believe the panel is custom made, so they don't have to pay any panel license fee, so it keeps the price down.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxclark View Post
    Maleosx, I disagree with you on this, I really like their control panel, It has everything I need ie reboot, stop, start, reinstall OS

I believe the panel is custom made, so they don't have to pay any panel license fee, so it keeps the price down.
    They keep it real, less design, more time for coding the functions

Don't misunderstand please, I only say their web panel design is ugly but it work and very easy to use. Peace V

one more :
    Don't forget their precreated OS images is using lighttpd which only consume 25 mb of RAM at first time this vps run.
    thats mean only use 10% RAM from the total RAM they provide on the mini plan.

compare to the Apache which could use up to 150 mb of RAM at the first time your vps installed and can easily reach up to 300-500 mb RAM consume when you have few site on the VPS.

Lighttpd is very nice to bad not many hosting provider use it as their standard PHP engine webserver.
    Ramhost is first vps provider which use Lighttpd I ever used and I'm fall in love with it now.

You still can install Apache by your own of course.
    The only weakness lighttpd had, so far i know is it doesn't support .htaccess
    Last edited by Maleosx; 01-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.

The only weakness lighttpd had, so far i know is it doesn't support .htaccess
    little offtopic, but with mod_auth it works

try google for "lighttpd + mod_auth + htaccess"

do they also have a ngix version?
    isnt nginx is better btw? I heard that lighty's production was halted some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by emretemp View Post
    do they also have a ngix version?
    isnt nginx is better btw? I heard that lighty's production was halted some time ago.
    From the lighttpd web site, it seems that the last release was in November. I would say it's still being developed.

Although nginx has surpassed it in overall usage over the past year or two.

I recently signed up for ramhost as well as a trial run. I asked about a Slackware image, which they don't support, but they found one and let me try it out. It's bare of any apps, which I like because I can build everything from scratch.

Everytime I want to play with it and learn, it's always there and ready to go. Fast too!

Thanks for the review, ramhost is one of many that I want to try out since I heard good things.

More then 6 months here with them and they are a great basic VPS host, fast servers, nice network and very well managed. They are working on a UI fresh of their CP and what I've seen so far it's a nice improvement.

Their OS templates are the smallest I've seen (3MB for Deb 5, 4MB for Centos 5) which is a very nice option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post

Their OS templates are the smallest I've seen (3MB for Deb 5, 4MB for Centos 5) which is a very nice option to have.
    I agree, I use their smallest Debain 5 template.

This first I do is to remove sendmail, bind9 on most other VPS hosts.
    but, with ramhost, the first I do is install sshd

Thanks for the review - glad to hear that they are serving you well!
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Do I need to install apache, mysql and php on this VPS or it comes with?

I have not tried all their images but the ones I have tried are bare bones OS so you have to install everything (even SSH) from the console (so that you can then access your VPS directly). Make sure to change the root passwd when you first log into the console.

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    They provide semi-management when they have time, so if you arent in a hurry you can just leave them ticket if possible to install these for me.

I agree, I use their smallest Debain 5 template.

This first I do is to remove sendmail, bind9 on most other VPS hosts.
    but, with ramhost, the first I do is install sshd
    well think about this,
    I will be playing around with my vps, installing this, removing that etc. After a while I have to re-install OS, that is what VPS is good for. But if there will be only bare - minimums then I have to install mysql - nginx - php - etc. over and over again.

At least they have to offer a setup with basic web based operations including sshd, nginx - mysql - php with fast-cgi. This would be great.

Hello,

This is my 3 month ++ RAMHOST.US review. I've been with them for about 3 month already. My Opinion FANTASTIC for USD 9 / month vps.

I used RamHost VPS as a backup server and host few blogs and sites.
    While my primary production site is on servint which is also outstanding but this one cost you 50 USD / month

With only USD 9 / month i got 100% uptime for the last 3 month and i hope this will last forever. I check with free ping service which ping my ramhost vps every 15 minutes.

they also semi managed which they will do initial install like control panel and OS which is very2 good me. Also they will backup your entire data once every 2 week.

RAMHOST is outstanding for cheap,uptime and reliability. Only the web panel look so ugly, but that's not a problem for me.

PS 1: Before i found Ramhost i had with hostgd, dmehosting and i had bad experience with them
    It's a great thing you found a host that suit's your need's. Keep us updated in a few month's.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. Glad to see a happy customer. Hope the story continues the same in future and do keep us updated how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by emretemp View Post
    well think about this,
    I will be playing around with my vps, installing this, removing that etc. After a while I have to re-install OS, that is what VPS is good for. But if there will be only bare - minimums then I have to install mysql - nginx - php - etc. over and over again.

At least they have to offer a setup with basic web based operations including sshd, nginx - mysql - php with fast-cgi. This would be great.
    Unless you are sticking with just the bare installs of the typical LAMP/LEMP/Whatever stack you will loose everything else anyway, this is true with any host. I don't know too many hosts that have templates for anything other then LAMP (apache). I have yet to run into one that has a Nginx/fast-cgi default template.

But yes you will have to re-install everything and maybe learn something along the way (another thing VPS's are good for). As Ramhost has stated their target customer is not the total noob that needs a great deal of hand holding but the person that is (for example) comfortable with rebuilding their stack each time they reload the OS. And at this price range it's absolutely reasonable.

Thanks for the positive review

We're happy that you're happy

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    I think our old Fedora & SuSE images still have all that extra bloat by default - we'll be fixing that "problem" eventually

Interestingly enough, most of our clients aren't running the usual resource-heavy LAMP stack since most of our clients have our smallest plan and it barely fits

Only the web panel look so ugly, but that's not a problem for me.
    New design recently created for our vps panel recently should be a bit nicer to look at

Correct (we know how to program quite well so we write/maintain it

We don't have any software licensing fees at all actually - everything we use is either free open source software or written by us

Quote Originally Posted by laimi190 View Post
    They keep it real, less design, more time for coding the functions
    Programmers / System Administrators don't have much design talent (we don't have any designers) - we try our best though

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    Glad you enjoy our highly optimized OS images
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Ditto. I've been using Ramhost for a while now, and have had nary an issue, very speedy VPS. It just plain works.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

They did have problems on VZ13, but they apologized profusely and gave us a super big credit and then apologized some more and offered to move us to a different node.

It sucked, but support was good enough to make you not mind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by herbyscrub View Post
    They did have problems on VZ13, but they apologized profusely and gave us a super big credit and then apologized some more and offered to move us to a different node.
    And let me apologize again for that - as a result of that incident with flaky hardware (even the new hardware we replaced the flaky hardware with was bad) from our upstream vendor we changed our procedures and are now testing hardware much more carefully and completely before putting it into production to ensure such a terrible thing does not happen again.

VZ13 was one of our greatest failures and we can't apologize enough to those of you that experienced that mess back in late December / early January.

Luck certainly was against us and almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong - I'm just glad the number 13 only get's used once.

Quote Originally Posted by herbyscrub View Post
    It sucked, but support was good enough to make you not mind at all.
    Thanks for giving us the chance to make things right.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast