* Front Page 2000 compatiable host needed...help

I chose a web host yesterday, existhosting, and I can not work with them. Too confusing, slow response time for help, etc...
    Anyway, my question to you knowlegable people is this:
    From your past/present experience with hosts, can anyone recommend a web host, shared type, that is completely user friendly and compatiable with front page 2000. I am not that "computer" nor "web design" literate and need something that is easy to figure out. I am trying to set up a site that is just a promotional/marketing site for motocross kids/competitors. Nothing big to start with. I helped my brother set up his site using frontpage and bellsouth as his web host and had no problems figuring out how to navigate and work to publish the pages, get the site up and going basically. However, I did not want to go with Bellsouth myself, so any help/input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I do not have a lot of money to spend on it, and need a monthly service option, (max 20$ per month). Believe me if money was no object I would just get someone to design it, host it, the whole nine yards, unfortunately that is not the case. Again, thanks for any suggestions. Need host, reasonable montly pricing, completely front page compatiable, and very easy to figure out.
    Nikki
    e-mail to make suggestions

Nikki,

It shouldn't be too hard as long as your host is setup to support frontpage extensions - you basically then just publish to www.yourdomain.com and everything should work fine.

What type of problems are you havign with existhosting (other than slow support, etc?) - has your site published fine? Doublecheck via any control panel they have to make sure frontpage extensions are available for installation.

Well.. most shared hosting offer what you are asking for

response to HP-Dave

I am not that web literate, I can get the pages I create in front page to publish, through my domain name, but they are going to the wrong folders, and I do not know how to navigate successfully within existhostings control panel. Anything I publish with front page is comming up as a folder and the extension is LNK. I have no clue as to what any of that means. I just know when I am creating the pages, they will not show up in the correct space with my ftp space, and then if you view what you create, it is in text, html I am guessing, but it is just a bunch of uninterpretable computer language. I guess I just need a host that can accomodate "Designing Dummies".
    Thanks for the input,
    Nikki
    Also, existhost is suppose to support front page, but yet when I am using front page I can not publish in http, I have to use ftp.

Nikki,

You may want to check to see if the frontpage extensions are installed - I would agree that you need a host in this case that provides great support.

Although they may just provide great 'slow' support, so give them a chance (I assume there is a money back guarantee, just don't let it go).

If you would like - I can help you set up your account at existhosting (There is little I can do here remotely so I would need account access).

What settings are you entering in to the publish section within frontpage? (host/server, directory?).

$20 a month is more than adequate for the type of package you are looking for. It sounds like the frontpage extensions have not been turned on in your control panel.

The control panel exist are using is the HSPhere system. The manuals for this system can be found at :

http://www.whsupport.net/manual/

Although this may be a little over powering If you want to try to turn front page extensions on what you need to do is:

Select Domain info in the Domain Settings menu.
    Click the Edit icon in the Web Service field.
    Enable FrontPage Extension for domains in the list.
    Agree with the charges.
    Now you can proceed to FrontPage configuration

How long have you given support to reply?

If you are still unhappy with the service it does look like they offer a service guarantee:

"If within the first 30 days, you are not satisfied with our service, we will happily give you a full refund. This guarantee applies to any shared and reseller hosting plan and any billing period. Whether you pay monthly, quarterly or yearly, you are entitled to a full refund."

http://www.existhosting.com/advantage/

What is your domain name by the way?
    Andrew Thomas
    JAB Web Solutions | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting
    e : andrew@jabwebsolutions.co.uk
    t: 0800 043 0 153

Nikki,

An alternate route of contacting their support may be the best way to go - try the 'live sales chat' icon on their website, there is a support section available there to chat to one of their representatives.

If you decide to give up on this host I can mention an alternative: Micfo. They are a good host in my personal experience. They support "Microsoft FrontPage (All Versions)"
    (I don't use FP myself though)
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Nadabrahma,

Interesting concept - have you ever used micfo?
    Your webdirectory that you're linking to has an affiliate link to them - just an odd little thing I noticed.

I already canceled my service after a 40 minute long "online chat", in which the person I was connected to was of no help whatsoever. I had given there support well over 15 hours to respond to tickets I had submitted. I guess I am just "web design/host challenged" hehehe. Hopefully I will find the right host to provide me with what I need. Thank you all for your input.
    Nikki
    Also, I had frontpage turned on through the control panel. I could never get the files to show up properly. Anyway it is behind me now. Just an afterthought, do most hosts operate the same?

Originally posted by HP-David
    Nadabrahma,

Interesting concept - have you ever used micfo?
    Your webdirectory that you're linking to has an affiliate link to them - just an odd little thing I noticed.
    Greetings,

I don't think its actually odd, since the directory itself is hosted with Micfo.com. It just requires little a bit of more research =).
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Amir,

Quite interesting, I'll be sure to research a bit more as well.

Nikki,

Let us know if you find anyone you consider suitable.
    Most hosts - I would assume would definitely provide you with more help than the previous company (from what you've relayed to us).
    Last edited by David; 03-15-2005 at 06:55 PM.

One of the things that will be a big, big help to you (with your new hosting provider) - is an active forum where there are many people willing to take the time to walk you through some of this stuff that is new to you. Of course I'm biased here, but I use Totalchoicehosting.com. I've seen several newbies come in with basic questions, and get tons of help - without needing to go through support. By the way, TCH has a specific forum just for FontPage issues:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/